Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by SKYO »

Just remembering with the Sedins retiring, Boeser will likely reap the rewards of that big time - going from 181 total powerplay minutes to around 230 minutes just on the powerplay.

Boeser's goal totals could skyrocket, the Canucks should look to re-sign him now for at least six years x a nice round number of $7m per just ahead of Pastrnak and Johnny Hockey.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Or,

We could see how he handles the inevitable adversity he’s bound to face given more enhanced checking and potential physical set-backs coming off wrist surgery and back rehab.

That was a nasty collision.

No rush
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BladesofSteel wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 pm Or,

We could see how he handles the inevitable adversity he’s bound to face given more enhanced checking and potential physical set-backs coming off wrist surgery and back rehab.

No rush
He seemed ok in da beauty league, a young lad he'll recoup in no time, and he scored vs some mighty titans of goalies already, hedging bets with BB getting the Sedins glorious powerplay time where you face less grit and less hits and have more open space he'll probably thrive and get 40 next season.

I'd say re-sign Boeser now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm

No rush
He seemed ok in da beauty league, a young lad he'll recoup in no time, and he scored vs some mighty titans of goalies already, hedging bets with BB getting the Sedins glorious powerplay time where you face less grit and less hits and have more open space he'll probably thrive and get 40 next season.

I think by January everybody will know what Boeser is worth. I expect contract talk has already been looked at in a minimal way but by the New Year talk will heat up. He’s a Benning pick and I think Jim will want him locked up. If you are Boeser though you may only want a four year deal banking that your scoring is going to up, at least hit a consistency level, and salaries will naturally increase along with the cap. He would of course do the 6-8 year deal in the 8ish, give or take range.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm

No rush

I think by January everybody will know what Boeser is worth. I expect contract talk has already been looked at in a minimal way but by the New Year talk will heat up. He’s a Benning pick and I think Jim will want him locked up. If you are Boeser though you may only want a four year deal banking that your scoring is going to up, at least hit a consistency level, and salaries will naturally increase along with the cap. He would of course do the 6-8 year deal in the 8ish, give or take range.
That's elite money, looking at the players in that high $6m-$8m range and how they got there with a bridge contract or not:

Tarasenko (no bridge),
Parise (4yr, 1yr bridge),
Kucherov (team friendly 3yr bridge, then big payday).
Kessel (5yr contract then the big 8yr),
Kuznetzov (2yr bridge),
Couture (2yr bridge, 6yr, then big cash),
RyJo (3yr bridge),
Voracek (1yr bridge, 4yr bridge),
Giroux (3yr bridge),
Draisatl (no bridge),
Stamkos (5yr bridge took him very close to UFA, but then big cash)
Johnny G (no bridge),
Pasta (no bridge)

Looking at that, I'm thinking maybe a 2 or 3 yr bridge contract would be good for Brock Boeser, proving himself to be healthy and elite, and that keeps him as a RFA, & then when the CBA is finished, can re-sign him to 8 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That’s my point really. Unless Canucks are going big right now Boeser is better served to do a 2-4 year deal, which will still be rich, but then go for the payday. I’m sure Canucks would love to lock him up for 7-8 years for 6 or under right now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Normally, I'm one who tends to hesitate on mega contracts.
The Canucks need a high profile star.
Boeser has the ingredients. Hate to use the term "Poster Boy", but it does kind of fit.
He has the skill and has already proven tremendous motivation, including playing through pain.
Again, I know there are risks but to me, it's statement time and we should lock him up for 8 years even if it takes 8 per.
Admittedly, very bold but it would possibly inspire the younger players but even mote than that, show the rest of the league that Vancouver
is emerging once again and deadly serious about it.
Being a desirable place to play can eventually save money.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:02 am That’s my point really. Unless Canucks are going big right now Boeser is better served to do a 2-4 year deal, which will still be rich, but then go for the payday. I’m sure Canucks would love to lock him up for 7-8 years for 6 or under right now.
Given the injury scare, I think he’d want the guaranteed money. At 4 years (club-controlled) he’s probably looking at 6m per. At 8 years could be 8x8. $24M vs $64M. Who knows what can happen in four years. Maybe he’s worth 10M per season by then, or maybe he has knee/hip/head injuries and is “only” a 25-goal guy.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 pm I think by January everybody will know what Boeser is worth. I expect contract talk has already been looked at in a minimal way but by the New Year talk will heat up. He’s a Benning pick and I think Jim will want him locked up. If you are Boeser though you may only want a four year deal banking that your scoring is going to up, at least hit a consistency level, and salaries will naturally increase along with the cap. He would of course do the 6-8 year deal in the 8ish, give or take range.
I think this is correct. The Canucks will see not just the back injury, but the the month before the injury, the wrist injury, and the unmaintainable shooting percentage as cautionary tale. Yet barring a chronic injury issue, I tend to think that Boeser is actually going to get a lot better at generating shots and chances and that while he might not be converting as many chances as he was in the first half of last season, he is going to be at or near the top ten in goal scoring for a long time to come.

If I am the player, I would want to sign up the long term deal as a hedge against injury, given that the difference barring that injury is between (1) a whole lot of money and (2) a whole lot of money and a little more. But if I am the Canucks, I think, if he escapes injury, we will have no problem paying market, and if other players are performing above expectations, that's a good problem to have to deal with. But I don't want to lock in on a gimpy Boeser if I need to have the wallet ready for Pettersson or Hughes if they become superstars. I think its an easy call to wait until January (from management's perspective) and evaluate then.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

For Boeser I expect they’ll pay more for his UFA years, something like 7m for 6 years or 7.5m for 7 years or 8m for 8 years. Benning should do the 8 year deal. Boeser has a lot of character.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 am For Boeser I expect they’ll pay more for his UFA years, something like 7m for 6 years or 7.5m for 7 years or 8m for 8 years. Benning should do the 8 year deal. Boeser has a lot of character.

I'd be happier with a 3 year bridge contract, and then do the 7 or 8 year contract. It maximizes the number of UFA years we get.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Take a long hard look at our current financial situation.
https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/

Not as much leeway as I thought.
Personally, I like some fat on a BBQ rib steak but I would really like to see some "cutting away" on this one.
It would be a glorious thing to behold if some how, some way, both Pettersson and Gaudette could. "very, very", quickly,
establish themselves as permanent centers.

If you know what I mean.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm Take a long hard look at our current financial situation.

Personally, I like some fat on a BBQ rib steak but I would really like to see some "cutting away" on this one.
It would be a glorious thing to behold if some how, some way, both Pettersson and Gaudette could. "very, very", quickly,

If you know what I mean.
Leeway is still there, but for Petterson and Gaudette to make the cut, Gagne has to go, and I just don't see that happening earlier than the 20 (or so) game mark when we know what we have in Petterson.. and if he is ready for center in the NHL. And that's best case.. My guess is that Petterson starts on the wing with Gagner in the middle, and Loui (or perhaps Virtanen) on the other side.. if Petterson makes the transition back to center then Gagne becomes an extra part and Goldobin gets his last kick at the can on the wing with us..

Now, personally, I hope that Goldobin-Petterson-Vitanen or Goldobin/Virtanen-Dahlen-Petterson click like nobody's business in preseason as our second line and Gagner is traded before the start of the season, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Gaudette has to play his heart out in Utica until he can be called up for injury replacement when Sutter gets hurt again. I am Guessing Gaudette will be called up as bottom 6 injury replacement.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Virtanen/Eriksson - Gagner - Petterson
Grandlund - Sutter - Virtanen/Eriksson
Schaller - Beagle - Roussell
Liepsic - Goldobin
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm Take a long hard look at our current financial situation.

If you know what I mean.
I’ve heard they have about 9 million in cap space. I think they are at about 70 million. The floor is around 59 million I believe. They are going to struggle regardless of if they are at 59 million or 79 million. It’s Aquilinis money so he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it. It’s sad state of affairs when this coming season looks like Elmer’s gold standard so far for cap management. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

In regards to Boeser, I'm re-analyzing the process, I'm thinking maybe a 3 year bridge contract at $5M per, a bit more than the Kucherov 3 year bridge.

The thinking is calculating contracts to all fall in line with the big five.

Elias Pettersson: RFA 2021 (Budget at least $10M - $12M per x 8)
Bo Horvat: locked up for 4 more years, 2023.
Brock Boeser: Re-sign 3 year bridge RFA 2022 (Then can give 8 yr contract)
Quinn Hughes: likely signs this season, taking a year off 3 yr ELC, RFA 2021, I'd plan to bridge Q in 2021.
Jake Virtanen: RFA 2020

Getting Boeser in a 3 year bridge, it makes it so the Canucks can each year re-negotiate new contracts to these guys consecutively.

Also gotta remain cognizant of Juolevi, Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko and whoever we draft in 2019.