Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:23 pm In regards to Boeser, I'm re-analyzing the process, I'm thinking maybe a 3 year bridge contract at $5M per, a bit more than the Kucherov 3 year bridge.

The thinking is calculating contracts to all fall in line with the big five.

Elias Pettersson: RFA 2021 (Budget at least $10M - $12M per x 8)
Bo Horvat: locked up for 4 more years, 2023.
Brock Boeser: Re-sign 3 year bridge RFA 2022 (Then can give 8 yr contract)
Quinn Hughes: likely signs this season, taking a year off 3 yr ELC, RFA 2021, I'd plan to bridge Q in 2021.
Jake Virtanen: RFA 2020

Getting Boeser in a 3 year bridge, it makes it so the Canucks can each year re-negotiate new contracts to these guys consecutively.

Also gotta remain cognizant of Juolevi, Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko and whoever we draft in 2019.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go more than 3 or 4 years with Brock right now, at least not at big money. He needs to show that he can play at least 70 games a year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:20 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:23 pm In regards to Boeser, I'm re-analyzing the process, I'm thinking maybe a 3 year bridge contract at $5M per, a bit more than the Kucherov 3 year bridge.

Quinn Hughes: likely signs this season, taking a year off 3 yr ELC, RFA 2021, I'd plan to bridge Q in 2021.

Getting Boeser in a 3 year bridge, it makes it so the Canucks can each year re-negotiate new contracts to these guys consecutively.

Also gotta remain cognizant of Juolevi, Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko and whoever we draft in 2019.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go more than 3 or 4 years with Brock right now, at least not at big money. He needs to show that he can play at least 70 games a year.
Ya, and you know what? I was one of those throw 8 for 8 or 7 for 8 dudes, mid summer. None the less, a bridge deal sounds right.
Not just for team, but player too.
Thing is, that has the potential to be really big money for two guys in or around the same time.
So; Gamble away and keep the cap rocketing skyward.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I completely disagree.

Because of those injuries Brock can be locked up long term for less dollars... so do it!

We might get him for as little as $6.5M - $7M on a 6 - 8 year term.

Do it Jimbro!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:12 pm

I completely disagree.

Because of those injuries Brock can be locked up long term for less dollars... so do it!

We might get him for as little as $6.5M - $7M on a 6 - 8 year term.

Do it Jimbro!
Bang on. Weaponize the leverage of the delay in devopment from the injury.

Now that would begin to enter into genius territory
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

BETTER HURRY...

Really,
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat and notably Boeser not producing points while Petey is injured is good ammo for management and not so good ammo for Boeser's agent.

Noticing Brock not making smart plays sometimes, not the best defensively, he lost his power skating a bit & his scoring ability is down without Petey - which will all be superb for Canucks management for BB's next contract, I'd simply go 7 years x $6M Ehlers contract now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:45 pm Horvat and notably Boeser not producing points while Petey is injured is good ammo for management and not so good ammo for Boeser's agent.

Noticing Brock not making smart plays sometimes, not the best defensively, he lost his power skating a bit & his scoring ability is down without Petey - which will all be superb for Canucks management for BB's next contract, I'd simply go 7 years x $6M Ehlers contract now.
I still can't believe that Blobbee's boi the 5'-11" 170 lb - Nicolaj "Mason Raymond" Ehlers gets that much money!! I guess that's what happens when you ride shotgun with Patrick Laine.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Boeser should get Pastrnak's contract or a smidgen less.

Both same age, but Pastrnak has been much more prolific after his rookie season.
avg .93ppg, .98ppg and 1.18 pts per game each successive season.

He got a 6 year $40M contract.

While Boeser has avg .89ppg first full season and this season is a little less at .81ppg.

So I see a 6 year $39M contract extension for Boeser. $6.5m AAV
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 am Boeser should get Pastrnak's contract or a smidgen less.
So Pastrnak's deal was worth 8.89% of the salary cap at the time it was signed.

At an $83M cap, works out to about $7.4M.

So say $7M per for Boeser?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hmm good calculations there IN, $7M per is a tad high but acceptable I suppose, make it 7 years then.

7x7
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think are playoff chances have pretty much reached their expiry date, the seasons almost concluded, time to start
thinking about a contract for Boeser.
IMHO, Brock does not merit the "big one", just yet but at the same time we cannot allow a situation where as he is not
at 2019 training camp and is still waiting at season's start. Glaring example of how that turns out back east somewhere, no?
It's my gut feeling he would not be adverse to a 1 or 2 year bridge deal. I would prefer to get the full 7 or 8 year done
but is he for sure an 8 for 8 player?
7 for 7 ?
Would he take 6.5 for eight ? I doubt that. Horvat is 5.5 for 6 though, not that it's a measuring stick.

He either is or is close to, my favorite player on the team and here I am playing hard-ball, go figure.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:58 pm I think are playoff chances have pretty much reached their expiry date, the seasons almost concluded, time to start
thinking about a contract for Boeser.
IMHO, Brock does not merit the "big one", just yet but at the same time we cannot allow a situation where as he is not
at 2019 training camp and is still waiting at season's start. Glaring example of how that turns out back east somewhere, no?
It's my gut feeling he would not be adverse to a 1 or 2 year bridge deal. I would prefer to get the full 7 or 8 year done
but is he for sure an 8 for 8 player?
7 for 7 ?
Would he take 6.5 for eight ? I doubt that. Horvat is 5.5 for 6 though, not that it's a measuring stick.

He either is or is close to, my favorite player on the team and here I am playing hard-ball, go figure.
IMO, I doubt Brock goes as low as $7 mil on a 7 or 8 year deal. If he did, Benning will buy that 8th year of prime age, no way does he sign for 7.

Brock has had a near-miraculous recovery from the back injury, but you can't forget that is a year-long recovery period. He's likely to gamble on himself and his continued rehab by signing a bridge deal, and going for the home run.

Right now he's a 25-30 goal winger. He has had remarkable consistency for the past 2 years, for a scoring winger on a lousy offensive team. If he goes the bridge deal, I am very confident he will be hitting 40-50 goals over the next 3 years, which will take him to $9mil+ territory on the subsequent deal.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

hf/Brayden Point contract thread - this poster made some good points on the bridge vs long term deals right after the ELC.
Kucherov bridged because like Point he was a RFA without arbitration rights.
Steve Yzerman would not give him more. I'm not saying that players like point want to bridge.
I am saying that teams hold all the power on a player coming off an ELC and I think more should be bridged.
I am also saying that in the long run guys like Kucherov and Subban got more money because of the bridge.

Marner will be difficult to bridge as Dubas has already painted himself into a corner with Nylander and Mathews contracts.
Aho is interesting, team is nowhere near the cap so threat of offer sheet won't have much impact. Team probably prefers getting him locked up LT, player would probably prefer something shorter that gets him to big UFA money quicker. Aho is only 21, 8 year term takes him to 29 if he signs a mathews type he can hit UFA at 27.

The team makes a difference too, for years Edm was giving out LT right out of ELC because they were scared these guys would bolt 1st chance they got. Then they traded them away for peanuts.

Ultimately the teams are in control with players coming of ELC but it seems many GMs have forgotton that.
My point (no pun intended) is that I don't think Julien brisebois and Yzerman have forgotton it. Not saying they will bridge Point but it is an option- may depend on of they win cup or not.
Bridging Boeser could very well happen as Boeser thinks he could make more money if he proves his worth over another 2 or 3 years.

So instead of 7 or 8 years at $7M ish per, he could take $4.5/$5M per x 2 or 3 yrs, then cash in for the big AAV like around $8.5M-$9M per if he holds up to around 30+ goals per season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

O. M. G. :evil:

Sign Boeser for at minimum 6 years!

This is an opportunity to get a great deal (no arb rights, no offer-sheets, came off a huge injury this year).

Everyone knows Pastrnak signed for far less than his worth... best contract in the NHL?

Everyone here was thinking he would get $8 Xs 8 last summer... before the rates skyrocketed.

If you can get him for $7.5M Xs 6 years because of the bracketed reasons above, then by gum do it!

A few years from now we'll be signing other big stars to contracts... 6 years takes us well beyond that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Definitely ink Boeser as long as possible. Hes not going to post lower numbers than this year when hes healthy from the get go...
If you need air...call it in