Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Zedlee wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm The Canucks should sue the league. Contract was
Within the rules when it was signed then the league retroactively changed the rules. Total bullshit.
Fuck that. Dude should sue Gillis
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm Comment from another blog:
Bettman warned in no uncertain terms there were going to be ramifications for any team that front loaded deals to circumnavigate the last CBA. Gillis & team decided to ignore the warning in pursuit of a cup (good thing) & knowing any possible pay back would be kicked years down the road (bad thing).

Gillis did a lot of good things in pursuit of the cup but almost all of them were meant to push problems further down the road and all of them have come back to haunt the team in multitude of ways, this is just the latest example. Unfortunately, navigating the landmines Gillis’ short term pursuits left behind, is a job this management group does not seem savvy enough to work around.
That’s an asinine comment right there. There is no way to work around this particular “land mine”. Louie has full control of it, and the Canucks were also hamstrung by the pressure being applied by Florida that encouraged Luongo to trigger the bomb.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Zedlee wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm The Canucks should sue the league. Contract was
Within the rules when it was signed then the league retroactively changed the rules. Total bullshit.
Naahhh, he’s getting his due from the league shunning him 6 years and running like he truly deserves. Worst GM in hockey history
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Naahhh, he’s getting his due from the league shunning him 6 years and running like he truly deserves. Worst GM in hockey history
Gillis and Dubass, sittin in a tree....................
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm Comment from another blog:
Bettman warned in no uncertain terms there were going to be ramifications for any team that front loaded deals to circumnavigate the last CBA. Gillis & team decided to ignore the warning in pursuit of a cup (good thing) & knowing any possible pay back would be kicked years down the road (bad thing).

Gillis did a lot of good things in pursuit of the cup but almost all of them were meant to push problems further down the road and all of them have come back to haunt the team in multitude of ways, this is just the latest example. Unfortunately, navigating the landmines Gillis’ short term pursuits left behind, is a job this management group does not seem savvy enough to work around.
That’s an asinine comment right there. There is no way to work around this particular “land mine”. Louie has full control of it, and the Canucks were also hamstrung by the pressure being applied by Florida that encouraged Luongo to trigger the bomb.
Don’t shoot the messenger, Mëds ol’ buddy, I’m just quoting someone else’s comment.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Yeah, wasn’t calling you asinine. I saw it was a writer from another blog.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm Yeah, wasn’t calling you asinine. I saw it was a writer from another blog.
While I haven't yet had enough time to complete an exhaustive reading to ensure the below proposed transaction would be in compliance with the provisions of the CBA, it would seem there was a way around getting hit with Luongo's Cap Advantage Recapture:

Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers). Canucks would have then been on the hook for his Paragraph 1 salary and bonuses under the Standard Player's Contract during the LTIR period but could have avoided the Cap Advantage Recapture charges.

Perhaps the Panthers didn't want to do this, but I don't see why they would have any issue with it as Canucks would be footing the bill.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
Yoodle, you are the worst shit disturber I know

I would not bet against it ;) :lol:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm Yeah, wasn’t calling you asinine. I saw it was a writer from another blog.
While I haven't yet had enough time to complete an exhaustive reading to ensure the below proposed transaction would be in compliance with the provisions of the CBA, it would seem there was a way around getting hit with Luongo's Cap Advantage Recapture:

Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers). Canucks would have then been on the hook for his Paragraph 1 salary and bonuses under the Standard Player's Contract during the LTIR period but could have avoided the Cap Advantage Recapture charges.

Perhaps the Panthers didn't want to do this, but I don't see why they would have any issue with it as Canucks would be footing the bill.
Dude look at who the GM is. He follows the same guy to work every day
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm

I had wondered if this was an option a while back, and I couldn't see why it wouldn't be.

If that was an option, and I don't totally get how the LTIR crap works. Just that during the off-season teams can exceed the cap by 10% or something and then the LTIR players get bounced off the overall cap come September or October IF a team is up against the cap ceiling.

Because Luongo's cap hit is less than 10% of the $81.5M cap ceiling it would be a very doable thing for Jimbo to work around.

From that standpoint maybe my prior comments regarding what Hank quoted are in error and this management/ownership group actually does lack the chops to play it savvy. I'm certain that Florida would have been happy to make the trade of Luongo for like a 2024 7th round pick.

Unless of course there is some stupid NHL regulation that would mandate that Louie rehab or what have you in Vancouver and not live in FLA.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Once upon a time yours truly was screaming on a fucking Canucks messageboard for fucking Gillis to CBO Luongo.

Thoughts Dude?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers).
Would you mind linking to those "reports"?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
Yoodle, you are the worst shit disturber I know

I would not bet against it ;) :lol:
A fellow shit disturber can smell another shit disturbee a mile away.

Tripping out Mëds was easier when he was like the dude and gillis about Edler.

Its like hes finally on his...Mëds?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm Once upon a time yours truly was screaming on a fucking Canucks messageboard for fucking Gillis to CBO Luongo.

Thoughts Dude?
It's true. Oh it's so true.

So was it Gillis who wouldn't or was it Aquabros who nixed it because of the pure dollars it would have cost? I'm going with the latter, because recapture penalties cost nothing, they just make it harder for the current management to do their job. Ownership can sit back and just point a finger at the GM while saving 7 figures worth of cash every year.

Although, at the time, CBO'ing Luongo might have seen like the right move in the long term, it would have precluded the Canucks ever having Bo Horvat as we would have had to keep Schneider as our starter because Luongo would not have been eligible to re-sign with Vancouver.....and I know for a fact that during that window of time where CBO's were permitted there was at least one poster on a f***ing Canucks messageboard who was tossing Panic-Attack Schneider under the bus for his mental health issues on a regular basis.

Your thoughts Blob?