Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm Leaked rumour from a legitimate source is both contracts are close to done.

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Good enough, drop the puck
Petey at 8x 3 is not a good deal. Shave a million off that for sure.
But 8 for Hughes is a good deal.

Id definitely prefer to go long on petey and 3 years on Quinnith but if it means we can stop hearing about these fucking contracts and get on with actual hockey talk its well worth it for me (especially seeing as its not my millions)
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:43 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm Leaked rumour from a legitimate source is both contracts are close to done.

EP is 8x3 and QH is 8x8

Good enough, drop the puck
Petey at 8x 3 is not a good deal. Shave a million off that for sure.
But 8 for Hughes is a good deal.

Id definitely prefer to go long on petey and 3 years on Quinnith but if it means we can stop hearing about these fucking contracts and get on with actual hockey talk its well worth it for me (especially seeing as its not my millions)
Hughes at 8 x 3 isn’t a good deal. If he wants three years he can take 6. Hughes at 8x8 is a gamble I’d make all day. Petey seems to desire short term. 6.75-7 x 3.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Bad deal or not, it wouldn't surprise me if super-agent JP Barry made sure egos wouldn't be ruffled between his two clients where they would get equal salary.

I can't see Petey taking a backseat to his new buddy and be ok with it.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm Bad deal or not, it wouldn't surprise me if super-agent JP Barry made sure egos wouldn't be ruffled between his two clients where they would get equal salary.

I could. Players seem to understand the business side to the game better than fans.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm Bad deal or not, it wouldn't surprise me if super-agent JP Barry made sure egos wouldn't be ruffled between his two clients where they would get equal salary.

Getting 7 x 3 is not taking a back seat to 8 x 8. At that age I’d prefer the shorter term deal if I was an elite level player and if that’s the case about kids being snubbed Petey can also have 8 x 8.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Well, we don't know what Petey is thinking but my hypothesis isn't without merit either.

Players know the business side better than fans, of course. But the business side is also looking at league comparables, getting a certain percentage of the team's cap as the top player, etc. Even if you're willing to take a haircut, the agent and PA might advise against it.

Just because we think it's fair, doesn't mean they do. They have egos. If players can negotiate that extra $1M, who wouldn't?

I'm not saying Petey is Marner or Nylander but some want it both ways... salary and term that's advantageous to them and not the team.

But whatever, just happy it looks to be done.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Where is HW? Hopefully she is working her sources right now.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 pm Where is HW? Hopefully she is working her sources right now.
JB is like, "Not tonight, I've got a headache."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:10 pm Well, we don't know what Petey is thinking but my hypothesis isn't without merit either.

Players know the business side better than fans, of course. But the business side is also looking at league comparables, getting a certain percentage of the team's cap as the top player, etc. Even if you're willing to take a haircut, the agent and PA might advise against it.

Just because we think it's fair, doesn't mean they do. They have egos. If players can negotiate that extra $1M, who wouldn't?

I'm not saying Petey is Marner or Nylander but some want it both ways... salary and term that's advantageous to them and not the team.

But whatever, just happy it looks to be done.
IMHO Matt Barzal is as good as comparison as there is for Petey
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:14 pm
theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 pm Where is HW? Hopefully she is working her sources right now.
JB is like, "Not tonight, I've got a headache."
Come on HW, you can do it!

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Vin Tanner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:17 pm IMHO Matt Barzal is as good as comparison as there is for Petey
Agreed. That is a fantastic value contract for the Isle.

Not saying you guys were wrong. I WISH petey was signed to the same contract as Barzal.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Saw on the internet that it’s 8x3
(Not here, but on Instagram), so it’s still unconfirmed. Supposedly announced tomorrow.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am
theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am If Petey ever gets on a plane to Vancouver, then we know it is close.
Quinn was seen at a football game with his brother I think, on the weekend in the US somewhere. They showed it on the Donny and Donnie & Dhali show yesterday.

"I know things!" - Gomer
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

That's why players hire agents with telephones... so they can attend football games live and know that a contract will get done.

Also, agents of superstar players will usually drag it out because their clients often times have the leverage. Sometimes things get done earlier, but they still wait to announce it.

Btw, Bo signed with less than a week to camp and Brock signed a few days before camp.

Why worry? It's done deals :mex:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:17 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am
theman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am If Petey ever gets on a plane to Vancouver, then we know it is close.
Quinn was seen at a football game with his brother I think, on the weekend in the US somewhere. They showed it on the Donny and Donnie & Dhali show yesterday.

"I know things!" - Gomer
Toepy thinks he's witty. :drink:
"evolution"