Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 am
Tciso wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:02 pm
and the bar to get into the lineup is being better than Erickson, Rooster or Sutter.
To think, it was only a couple years ago the bar was Megma, Chaput and Gaunce.

We have come a long way in a relatively short time.
Yup. Just gotta keep raising the bar high enough to close-line Ericksson with it. :D
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Toronto tries to waive Aaron Dell, Arizona tries to waive Adin Hill, or Minnesota tries to waive Alex Stalock to place them on their taxi squads, the Canucks should snag one of them and keep that goalie up on the main 23 man roster, only carrying 22 skaters. With the taxi squad the Canucks will have easy access to other skaters so only carrying 22 won’t matter. Not sure if those team will expose those goalies themselves or just carry three goalies on the 23 man roster? The Canucks would then not be forced to play Dipietro if he is still not ready and could either send him to Utica if there is an AHL season, or just have him practise with the taxi squad if there isn’t. We know Washington will be looking for a back-up after having lost Lundquist, so waiving decent journeyman goalies on cheap contracts will be risky.
The Canucks might even be able to get Louis Domingue back from the thieving Flames, if none of the better goalies I listed above get waived? :D
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:35 am If Toronto tries to waive Aaron Dell, Arizona tries to waive Adin Hill, or Minnesota tries to waive Alex Stalock to place them on their taxi squads, the Canucks should snag one of them and keep that goalie up on the main 23 man roster, only carrying 22 skaters. With the taxi squad the Canucks will have easy access to other skaters so only carrying 22 won’t matter. Not sure if those team will expose those goalies themselves or just carry three goalies on the 23 man roster? The Canucks would then not be forced to play Dipietro if he is still not ready and could either send him to Utica if there is an AHL season, or just have him practise with the taxi squad if there isn’t. We know Washington will be looking for a back-up after having lost Lundquist, so waiving decent journeyman goalies on cheap contracts will be risky.
The Canucks might even be able to get Louis Domingue back from the thieving Flames, if none of the better goalies I listed above get waived? :D
I really hope they can do something like this. The rumor that they sit Mikey on the taxi squad all year and burn a full year of development is one of the dumbest Canuck rumors in a while. Bad enough they sat on their duffs and couldn't find him a spot on a European squad.
el rey del mambo
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:04 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:35 am If Toronto tries to waive Aaron Dell, Arizona tries to waive Adin Hill, or Minnesota tries to waive Alex Stalock to place them on their taxi squads, the Canucks should snag one of them and keep that goalie up on the main 23 man roster, only carrying 22 skaters. With the taxi squad the Canucks will have easy access to other skaters so only carrying 22 won’t matter. Not sure if those team will expose those goalies themselves or just carry three goalies on the 23 man roster? The Canucks would then not be forced to play Dipietro if he is still not ready and could either send him to Utica if there is an AHL season, or just have him practise with the taxi squad if there isn’t. We know Washington will be looking for a back-up after having lost Lundquist, so waiving decent journeyman goalies on cheap contracts will be risky.
I really hope they can do something like this. The rumor that they sit Mikey on the taxi squad all year and burn a full year of development is one of the dumbest Canuck rumors in a while. Bad enough they sat on their duffs and couldn't find him a spot on a European squad.
I don’t recall many euro squads looking for North American goalies..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:35 am
I don't see much of a downside to DiPietro occupying the 3rd string spot
No AHL season as of yet
He will be a backup eventually he's got to learn how to be focused & ready when opportunity presents itself
With the heavy schedule & possibility of injuries chances are he will get games
Gets to practice with NHLers & learn what it takes to be a pro

If he were shipped to Europe the Canucks would have no control over how he's handled by said club

this is a compromised season anyways so why spend money unnecessarily?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 am
Tciso wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:02 pm
and the bar to get into the lineup is being better than Erickson, Rooster or Sutter.
To think, it was only a couple years ago the bar was Megma, Chaput and Gaunce.

We have come a long way in a relatively short time.
That really puts things in perspective
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Just off the top of my head there was a North American goalie prospect playing for Per's Swedish league team this year. Nashville's prospect Connor Ingram. His last game before returning to NA for Preds camp was the Bjorkloven match fixing controversy oddly enough. https://www.traderumours.com/Serious-al ... game-29964

I'm not sure how many other young goalies were loaned to European squads but I'm guessing a couple. Some teams seemed to value finding places for their kids to play more than others, with Detroit, Edmonton and Tampa Bay leading the way. The Red Wings seemingly sent anyone with any promise at all overseas to stay active. They're now filtering back to Red Wings camp: https://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/pl ... ansactions
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 am
I don't see much of a downside to DiPietro occupying the 3rd string spot
No AHL season as of yet
He will be a backup eventually he's got to learn how to be focused & ready when opportunity presents itself
With the heavy schedule & possibility of injuries chances are he will get games
Gets to practice with NHLers & learn what it takes to be a pro

If he were shipped to Europe the Canucks would have no control over how he's handled by said club

this is a compromised season anyways so why spend money unnecessarily?
No, the rumor I'm hearing (Iain Mcintyre) is that they're thinking of sitting him the whole year in the spare goalie taxi squad spot, not sending to Utica when the AHL season does start. The taxi squad spare goalie spot should go to a journeyman pro, not a 21 year old kid with one year of pro experience. This is a really bad idea.
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I assume they will have Jake Kielly at training camp. Haven't heard. He is only 24, could still become a big factor. DiPietro, is only 21.. Both these guys need to play and play often. If there is nowhere else for either to play it doesn't matter. I think there will be though, maybe the minors or even possibly a loan situation somewhere in Europe. I doubt there'll be any teams in the entire league that don't have to dress a back-up to their main two at least once.
Actually, we need another Louis Domingue type.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I believe the taxi squad is only for skaters. They can carry as many spare goalies as they want. I’d imagine they’d want two spares. If they can steal a good one off waivers like those mentioned earlier, they’d have to keep him on the main roster so he wouldn’t be lost to waivers. Dipietro and a journeyman would be perfect. If Dipietro looks better in practice than the journeyman he’d be third on the depth chart, if not he’d be fourth. At least to start the season, management probably keeps him with the taxi squad. It’s too difficult recalling him from Utica. Kielly likely goes to Utica.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:13 am I believe the taxi squad is only for skaters. They can carry as many spare goalies as they want. I’d imagine they’d want two spares. If they can steal a good one off waivers like those mentioned earlier, they’d have to keep him on the main roster so he wouldn’t be lost to waivers. Dipietro and a journeyman would be perfect. If Dipietro looks better in practice than the journeyman he’d be third on the depth chart, if not he’d be fourth. At least to start the season, management probably keeps him with the taxi squad. It’s too difficult recalling him from Utica. Kielly likely goes to Utica.
Well we have Demko and Holtby, that oughta do us. If one goes down then call in Bones Bromley or some beer leaguer to sit on the bench. Or better yet go find another Zane McIntyre. Don't get caught with your pants down Jimmy.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Training camp starts in 1 week.

Holy fork
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 am Training camp starts in 1 week.

Holy fork
So need it. Chef is losing it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:17 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:07 am Training camp starts in 1 week.

Holy fork
Same here. The WJC has been boring as fuck. I flipped off can-ger after 5 minutes. Cant stand watching them play doormats
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:47 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:17 am

Holy fork
Same here. The WJC has been boring as fuck. I flipped off can-ger after 5 minutes. Cant stand watching them play doormats
Yeah I made it through the first period barely. It was horrible.
el rey del mambo