Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 am Is it a case of better the devil you know?

With Edler we know what we get. With Myers we aren’t sure at this point. He’s attractive because he is a rightie but I don’t think he comes cheap or under a 5-6 year term. Add in trade protection.....

The Canucks would give Edler 3 years but not with a full NMC. As explained, two years he can have his NMC. But three years means only the first year can have a NMC, the other two need modified trade protection. The Canucks have told him they don’t want to be in a position to have to protect him. From his perspective it’s about trust. Two years in a row he has been asked at the TDD if he would consider waiving. Last year it was a feeling out by Benning. This year it was an ask. A modified NTC and he knows there is a strong chance he could be traded.

I suppose they could go:

Year 1: NMC
Year 2: modified NMC
Year 3: NMC

That would allow the Canucks to expose him in the expansion draft. But I’m not sure Edler wants to put his fate in the hands of the draft.
Can they not give him 3 years, NMC with the right to expose in the expansion draft?

Then they put a massive signing bonus in that 3rd year which Seattle probably doesn't want.

Year 1: 3 mil
Year 2: 3 mil
Year 3: 10 mil SB + 1 mil salary

Cap hit: 5.6

Don't know what the rules are for how much a salary can fluctuate year after year, but if they can do something like that, the chances of SEA taking a declining 36 year old and spending 10 mil right off the bat is highly unlikely.

Even if they do claim him, Seattle is a 2.5 hour drive or 1 hour flight. He can be back whenever he wants, and his family can go down there whenever they want.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:16 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:52 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:34 pm Karlsson should only command $8M-$9M really, I'd take him at $9M per, but not $11M per. #EveryMillCounts in the cap era.
Some teams will offer him 7 x $11M, I hope Blob's Canucks are one of them.

In fact I'd offer to front-load the hell out of dat dere.

That's Doughty money, it is what Karlsson is going to get.

You're not going to land a top UFA unless you "overpay".

And then of course the cap will rise over those 7 years.

I foresee a big jump in 2022 after expansion + new TV deal.

Sign Karlsson, trade Tanev, pitter patter...

Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Tryamkin
Hutton - Stecher
Juolevi - Woo
I hear you, but if you're going to spend $11M per on one dman, then you'd have to let Edler go imo as he won't want just a 1-2 yr contract he'll likely want 4 years, and then ya gotta keep the defense light on the payroll with youth and career vets on the cheap, as Hughes in two years will need a sizable raise + maybe one of Stecher or Hutton, also who knows how quick Juolevi will develop in the NHL, along with Woo (never know, but got to prepare for it just in case).

& do my eriksson/alzner swap.

alzner-ek (the new Methot-Karlsson duo)
hughes-schenn
hutton-stecher
OJ-Woo
The last thing we'd want in this scenario is Alzner's contract!

Give Edler 2 x $6M, remind him that way he can't be plucked by Seattle.

In 2 years Edler's contract is done just as Hughes and Juolevi need new contracts.

Hutton/Stecher aren't anything special, trade them along the way if they/their-contracts are probs.

2 years later:

Juolevi/Hutton/Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Tryamkin/Stecher
Juolevi/Hutton/Edler - Woo

We make decisions along the way based on how the players are performing/developing.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

vic wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:09 pm Don't know what the rules are for how much a salary can fluctuate year after year
I believe the highest salary year can't be any more than double the lowest salary year.

Since he loves it here, we should be able to talk 33-yr-old Edler into a two year contract
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm Him not having a stellar post season can only help our chances. SJ may opt out and cut bait in which case Van has as good a chance at him as any i suspect. Every team doesnt necessarily have 11 mill in cap space available like we do.

I am all aboard the karlsson train. Fuck it we can fit him in and hes unreal. Pleeeease jimmy....can we have more
ALL ABOARD!! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm Him not having a stellar post season can only help our chances. SJ may opt out and cut bait in which case Van has as good a chance at him as any i suspect. Every team doesnt necessarily have 11 mill in cap space available like we do.

I am all aboard the karlsson train. Fuck it we can fit him in and hes unreal. Pleeeease jimmy....can we have more
ALL ABOARD!! Image
Not only that but old man Edler should be salivating to stay if we can sign Karlsson as his d partner
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 pm

ALL ABOARD!! Image
Not only that but old man Edler should be salivating to stay if we can sign Karlsson as his d partner
Hehe yup. 1 year contracts @ 1 mill/per.

Prove how much you love it eddy
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 pm
vic wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:09 pm Don't know what the rules are for how much a salary can fluctuate year after year
I believe the highest salary year can't be any more than double the lowest salary year.

Since he loves it here, we should be able to talk 33-yr-old Edler into a two year contract
That's the ideal. Team has enough to give him 6, even 7 per on a two year deal ... it's that 3rd year where cap space becomes an issue.

Full NMC for both years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Give Edler 2 x $6M, remind him that way he can't be plucked by Seattle.

In 2 years Edler's contract is done just as Hughes and Juolevi need new contracts.

Hutton/Stecher aren't anything special, trade them along the way if they/their-contracts are probs.

2 years later:

Juolevi/Hutton/Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Tryamkin/Stecher
Juolevi/Hutton/Edler - Woo

We make decisions along the way based on how the players are performing/developing.
I'd wager if it was only 2 yrs & both player/team were ok with it - Edler would have signed it already, but common sense dictates he wants his term/ntc, as we all know Linden's good buddy loves this city, has family here yadayada, he's not going to want to keep doing this contract situation every couple years at this point.

Now imagine a UFA contract July 1st for Edler with any other team would minimum be set around 4-6 years, never mind the chump change years people are hoping for here. He and Gardiner are the top dogs on left-defense this year via UFA....his agent is probably reminding him of that, he'd be highly coveted I'm sure.

Edler isn't some bargain bin dman, he can easily play top pairing minutes, he's a big fella who can hit hard when he has to and score at a decent clip, with much better IQ than Tyler Myers.

Just lock Edler up for 4 to 5 years & be done with it.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 pm Since he loves it here, we should be able to talk 33-yr-old Edler into a two year contract
Agreed. Two-years, $12M, full NMC, call it done. I don't see other teams giving him that third year with trade protection, and there's not many teams as desperate on D as Vancouver...
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is the expansion draft not in June of 2021?

This would mean that If Edler were to sign a two-year deal, only his first year would have a full NMC, while his 2nd would be a NTC thus leaving him exposed.

Count me in on the EK train. Front load the deal and pair him with Edler and you have a very dynamic first pairing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 pm Since he loves it here, we should be able to talk 33-yr-old Edler into a two year contract
Agreed. Two-years, $12M, full NMC, call it done. I don't see other teams giving him that third year with trade protection, and there's not many teams as desperate on D as Vancouver...
I can easily see a team offering him more than 3 years especially after the season he had....maybe even a 5 year. Hes still a top pairing guy. Imagine him beside an elite skating puck mover.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BladesofSteel wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is the expansion draft not in June of 2021?

This would mean that If Edler were to sign a two-year deal, only his first year would have a full NMC, while his 2nd would be a NTC thus leaving him exposed.

Count me in on the EK train. Front load the deal and pair him with Edler and you have a very dynamic first pairing.
If it is a 2 year deal then it ends before the expansion draft so he will have no contract and free to sign with any team.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Edler will get at least a 4 year deal from someone outside of Vancouver; 6 wouldn't shock me. Perhaps he doesn't want to be exposed to Seattle. But once he leaves, I would think that a NTC or NMC is far less important to him because the destabilization will have occurred. That means more $$/yr on a contract.

I think Edler will take a below market deal from the Canucks, but if it doesn't run 3 years & protect him from the expansion draft, he will likely walk. This will make his agent happy. Edler might also consider a front loaded deal without protection (more cash in the first window) and resolve to retire if Seattle takes him. This will also make his agent happy.

Given Benning asked Edler to waive, I think it would be foolish for Edler to take a 2 year on a wink and a nod from Benning. First, I wouldn't trust Benning not to reevaluate the situation. Second, Benning may not be in Vancouver.
Hono_rary Canadian
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 am
I can easily see a team offering him more than 3 years especially after the season he had....maybe even a 5 year. Hes still a top pairing guy. Imagine him beside an elite skating puck mover.
I think the expansion draft complicates things. Teams like Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles(?), NYR, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Toronto might have the roster flexibility to protect him, but teams with both roster and cap ability are fairly limited.

Realistically, the third year isn't a hill either side should die on. If Edler can get 5 years from someone else, Godspeed.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

UWSaint wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 am Edler will get at least a 4 year deal from someone outside of Vancouver; 6 wouldn't shock me. Perhaps he doesn't want to be exposed to Seattle. But once he leaves, I would think that a NTC or NMC is far less important to him because the destabilization will have occurred. That means more $$/yr on a contract.

I think Edler will take a below market deal from the Canucks, but if it doesn't run 3 years & protect him from the expansion draft, he will likely walk. This will make his agent happy. Edler might also consider a front loaded deal without protection (more cash in the first window) and resolve to retire if Seattle takes him. This will also make his agent happy.

Given Benning asked Edler to waive, I think it would be foolish for Edler to take a 2 year on a wink and a nod from Benning. First, I wouldn't trust Benning not to reevaluate the situation. Second, Benning may not be in Vancouver.
:lol:

Doc and dude would lose their shit...

Hopefully we have him and his team run through at least 2 more drafts first