The Women Want to Get Paid Too

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The Women Want to Get Paid Too

Post by Hockey Widow »

Per wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Especially women's hockey and soccer where in both Canada and the UAS, the women's teams have had much more success from a historical perspective. It's easy to fix if you have the political will to do so.
What do the United Arab States* have to do with this? :eh:

Furthermore, weren't they dissolved in 1961? :|

*comprised of Egypt, Syria and Yemen, which is why they virtually have the same flag.
The Iraqi one is also similar, but they were never part of the UAS. Great fans of the pan-Arabic idea though.
Watch out, there is a Putin on your doorstep.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Money for women's hockey could be, to some degree, generated from corporate sponsorship.
It would certainly not be easy and it would take time.
Would have to go beyond just the traditional sporting goods giants and that's fine.

I find the women's game very entertaining because I know what I'm watching and it's a hell of a lot better than watching midget league boys.

Between 1998 and 2011, I can't count how many times 4 or 6 or 8 or more of the Canadian National Team and top prospects, would once in a while just show up for practice hockey or drop-in at the Richmond Ice Center.
It was really fun when they did and we would often get into a game, (even though we weren't supposed to).
Let me tell you, they are good, really good. Outrageously good goaltending.
Of course we could skate faster and shoot harder. That percentage of difference is just the same as the 100 yard dash or a tennis serve sort of thing.
Their game is excellent, positioning, checking, passing. If there is one draw-back, it's that the goaltending is almost too good.
Believe me, there is no lack of passion for the game. They are tenacious to say the least.
As long as there are limits and proper officiating, I see no reason not to allow body checking, contact, whatever you want to call it. They want it because it's part of the game and because it's not really allowed so you get all this ankle hacking, tripping, poke em while the refs not looking stuff.

When I think of some of the sports that are still being played in both the summer & winter Olympics. it would be a shame to see the women's program fall to a point they don't go anymore.
"evolution"
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Hockey Widow wrote:Watch out, there is a Putin on your doorstep.
And Trump on yours. ;)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rockalt wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Watch out, there is a Putin on your doorstep.
And Trump on yours. ;)

Oh ya, fuck. I forgot for a minute.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After intense pressure, women refusing to be replacement players, the NHLPA, MLBPA, NFLPA, NBAPA, congressional letters and finally the men saying they too would boycott playing on the US National team, US Hockey has caved in and reached a new agreement with US women hockey players.

I think we will now see US soccer have to reconsider.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:After intense pressure, women refusing to be replacement players, the NHLPA, MLBPA, NFLPA, NBAPA, congressional letters and finally the men saying they too would boycott playing on the US National team, US Hockey has caved in and reached a new agreement with US women hockey players.

Just in time.
Guess that was the idea. ;)
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:After intense pressure, women refusing to be replacement players, the NHLPA, MLBPA, NFLPA, NBAPA, congressional letters and finally the men saying they too would boycott playing on the US National team, US Hockey has caved in and reached a new agreement with US women hockey players.

Just in time.
Guess that was the idea. ;)

Isn't it the idea of all union/management negotiations?