TDD 2017

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: TDD 2017

Post by Diehard1 »

Late to the dance - but good for Jim. I'm sure it pained him to admit it but this is where the team is at and good on him to move early and get good value. Hansen for a 1st (which Goldobin was) and a 4th is solid value, especially when that 4th could become a 1st. Burr for a 2nd is also good value. It's a year too late but good on him to recognize solid deals and move this franchise forward.

Still need a top line centre of the future and perhaps a #1 dman but the other parts look pretty good. Might be able to get some more pieces in the next 12 months or so by trading some more vets as well.

At least we have some direction now, there's no mistaking this is a rebuild and there's a long way to go.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Saddest news today? I've lost 50% of my secondary source material!
Hansen's voice coach?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Diehard1 wrote:
Still need a top line centre of the future
They call him Bo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Saddest news today? I've lost 50% of my secondary source material!
Hansen's voice coach?

The two biggest secondary sources used to be BB and Pat Quinn. Boy those guys love(d) to talk and talk. It was Quinn who broke the story about the MG hiring a few days before it was announced, and again about Trevor Linden returning as President. He was also the secondary source on the Torts hiring. But BB would sit around and just loved being the centre of a conversation. With Quinn you almost always got the true goods. With BB it was and is always trying to separate the truth from the rumour mongering.

As for players, mostly it has been a case of loose lips sink ships. I think as some of the players matured they got tighter lips. Sople used to be good for a lot of inside stories, mostly I think inadvertently, just shooting the shit with friends but things leaked out. And I think it has mainly been the same for a number of players when they were younger.

Crow and AV were also good talkers. Nonis not so much. Torts not really. MG was more deliberate and used disinformation a lot. Near the end almost anything sourced back to MG had to be taken with a bit of skepticism. You always had to look for the hidden agenda.

So it has changed over the years. For me, I've been retired for so long now that I don't really keep up with the cultivating of the younger players. I'm sure they are talking but not to my sources so much anymore. And as my sources retire or move along there is even less of a link. So it's kind sad for me, this passing of the torch. But I'm just not as involved with the same people as I used to be. In truth, when the team was winning everyone had interest and everyone loved to talk. Now, the business community isn't showing the same interest.

Linden doesn't speak out of turn much at all and Benning seems to have learned his lesson. When he first got here he was just down right friendly and I think a lot of stuff got out that way. WD is the same, doesn't speak out of school anymore.

But don't worry, as Dude will tell you, I'll continue to make shit up! :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

It has been nice to have a peek behind the scenes. This getting older sucks, but everything changes. It is still nice to hear your voice of reason. Your post about benning in the other thread is bang on. I can't believe how much people want to create drama where none is. I have said from the beginning that Benning is being methodical in how he is building this team, trying to keep balance as he goes. He is now developing some goal scoring capacity. He is willing to try and do what he can to make a winner. It always takes two to make a trade, and there has to be an agreement on value given and received. Here is to hoping that you find new sources that are easy to cultivate.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

HW, you may be getting older, but you're not at the white cane stage yet.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

So if they meet certain conditions, the Flyers could have up to 12 picks in the draft his year. Carolina (11), Detroit (11), New Jersey (10) all in double-digits. Detroit with four 3rd rounders. Carolina has 7 picks in the top 93.

Canucks currently at 6, with a 7th possible if Columbus decides this is the year to pay us for Torts.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Columbus already decided this is the year.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The interesting thing I found was the number of deals done involving players needing protection in the expansion draft. I'll admit I erred. That there was a market, and extension, for Burrows and Hansen is surprising. Even more so that the return is assets not needing to be protected.

Outstanding job by Genius Jim Benning!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:The interesting thing I found was the number of deals done involving players needing protection in the expansion draft. I'll admit I erred. That there was a market, and extension, for Burrows and Hansen is surprising. Even more so that the return is assets not needing to be protected.

Outstanding job by Genius Jim Benning!
Totally agree Tops. Great job by Benning in that regard. Interestingly the opposite was true for D. Most teams it seems will be electing to protect 3 D and absorbing another one needing protection was difficult. Canucks could not get value for moving a D for that reason.

I expect that between the end of the expansion draft and the entry draft we might see a D man go. If Vegas does not pick up say a Sbisa, who I assume is the guy we will expose, then I can see the Canucks making Hutton available in a package to try and land a top six.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: I love how fans and pundits are now declaring this a rebuild. It's been a rebuild ever since...
They're just trying to distract from...

Can't clamber aboard the B-train widdatdere...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote:Well, i alreadyknow that im satans son - accordi g to small town Oliver, BC
Satanster? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Can't clamber aboard the B-train widdatdere...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Well i guess we can finally put to bed the whole Benning is a retard debate and give him some credit. I was all in on the retard angle mostly because almost all his moves have pointed to an apparent dillusion regarding the state of the franchise. Once the dillusion was removed he has shown he can make the moves that are needed.

I guess Doc and Topper will finally be able to exhale at least...if he hadnt have made significant moves this deadline i really think he would get the punt
Yeahno, Topps and I never shared your "dillusion" :lol:

Nor did the Aquilinis...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Well i guess we can finally put to bed the whole Benning is a retard debate and give him some credit. I was all in on the retard angle mostly because almost all his moves have pointed to an apparent dillusion regarding the state of the franchise. Once the dillusion was removed he has shown he can make the moves that are needed.

I guess Doc and Topper will finally be able to exhale at least...if he hadnt have made significant moves this deadline i really think he would get the punt
Yeahno, Topps and I never shared your "dillusion" :lol:

Nor did the Aquilinis...
If you need air...call it in