TDD 2017

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: TDD 2017

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Lol which injuries were so devastating that they derailed a playoff team? Fuck that is some funny shit. Maybe it was the Dorset injury, Gudbranson perhaps ?

Oh and I hate Willie too but Scotty Bowman couldn't coach this group of scrubs to a playoff spot.
Didn't actually say we had devastating injuries but when you're a team that's going to need a little bit of luck in order to compete for a playoffs spot they matter even more!

Games missed:
Edler 14
Hansen 35
Guds 33 (also played hurt longer than that)
Tanev 26
Rodin 60
Dorsett 49

The top 4 on that list are clearly key pieces and when you miss that many games there's pretty good chance the ones you're playing you aren't near 100% either.

When you're going to be battling to the end of the season to make the playoffs injuries like that will affect your chances.

At the begining of January our record with Tanev in the lineup was 9-4-2 and without was 8-14-1. That's a 109 point pace when he was healthy. And it wasn't much before then that we lost Gudbranson with his wrist surgery. Since then the wheels have fallen off in a stretch of games where we should've picked up more points.

But no, injuries haven't played a role at all. They aren't an excuse, we need to be deeper so these types of injuries don't affect us as much but we are still working towards that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The reality is, is that it isnt always the injuries that matter. Every team suffers them. It's the depth or lack of depth to withstand the injuries that really count. We haven't had thendepth for several years now to withstand any type of LTI.
The only HW the Canucks need
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

The reality is, is that it isnt always the injuries that matter. Every team suffers them. It's the depth or lack of depth to withstand the injuries that really count. We haven't had thendepth for several years now to withstand any type of LTI
Agree, but think the biggest reason is that the teams core group of 5 or 6 players is one of the weakest in the league...

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote:
The reality is, is that it isnt always the injuries that matter. Every team suffers them. It's the depth or lack of depth to withstand the injuries that really count. We haven't had thendepth for several years now to withstand any type of LTI
Agree, but think the biggest reason is that the teams core group of 5 or 6 players is one of the weakest in the league...

Take care...
Yup, the biggest struggle for the new management is finding the new core after 6 years of no help from Gillis in that department. This team has always had the next heir apparent coming after the old core was fading from Linden Bure era to the Naslund Bertuzzi era to the Sedin era and then.....Mike Gillis.....the chain is broken.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I only see two core players here at the moment.

Horvat
Tanev

I think Tryamkin can get there and I like Stetcher, but there isn't much else. Tkachuk and Ehlers sure would look pretty damn good as part of a core moving forward.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

My biggest knock on Benning this year was the lack of depth in Utica. Depth could have been improved if waiver drops had been picked up from other teams right at the beginning of the season and the young waiver ineligible players had started the year in Utica, like Stecher did, but Virtanen should have started there, too. The realization that there are always lots of injuries that allow for young guys to be recalled needs to hit home with Benning. The team should absolutely start next season with Vitranen, Boeser, Goldie and any other waiver ineligible signing in Utica unless they absolutely dominate. They should fill the roster with one year FA contracts and waiver claims to give the team more depth right off the bat. Would love to see Utica with a bunch of Junior and University signings that can really contribute when there are injuries and they get called up. You can win games by having the best team possible, but you can also win games by having very good replacements when someone is injured.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Diehard1 wrote:Hansen for a 1st (which Goldobin was) and a 4th is solid value, especially when that 4th could become a 1st.
Goldobin with a nice Canuck's debut by scoring a goal. Another player drafted way after Jake in that draft year (2014) who's looking better than him and passing him on the team depth chart. Goldobin showed he can produce some decent numbers in the AHL too, showing he's more NHL ready. Jake the Flake should be poopin in his pants right. He needs to wake up, smell the coffee and get his shit together if he wants any future in the NHL.