First half Analysis after 42 games ..

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: First half Analysis after 42 games ..

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:The Sedins have fallen off a cliff.
I'm a big Sedin fan, and love what they have done for this franchise. I've been for the idea of signing them to extend their time with the Canucks... but that thought is fading as the season goes on.

They're also looking to be 'minus' players for the first time since their rookie year. And although they've never been known for their speed, they're looking outright sluggish right now.

Will they have a rebound like Burrows? Will their pride carry them through next year and remind us what they're capable of? It's hard to believe they're suddenly so 'old' - but could a motivated off-season bring them back next year? If so - then what? Will they just be playing for a contract or re-energized to play a few more years, ala Jagr?
I echo the sentiments of both of you. I never thought the Sedins would have that sudden drop that victimizes most players when they hit athlete-old-age. With their conditioning and style of play, I foresaw years with more production than they are displaying now. Like Gartner, Jagr, Doan, Iginla, and others that keep/kept getting it done despite their relative old-age. Last season, and even moreso this season, it's been a precipitous drop in on-ice execution and subsequent production, which has been surprising to me.
The Sedins have always answered the questions surrounding them and proven people wrong. "Will these guys be able to even stay upright on their skates for an entire shift?" to "Will these guys even be regular NHLers?" to "Will these guys earn the ice time they are receiving?" to "Will These guys actually be top 6 players?" to "Can these guys carry a team as the first line?" to "Can these guys win scoring titles?" and so on. Each step of the way they have shoved most every performance related question down the naysayers' collective throat. I've enjoyed it even more because they've done it quietly, with dignity & class. I guess I've just grown accustomed to them doing what no one believed they could do. However, as mentioned, they appear to be really struggling defensively and getting noticeably burned far more frequently than I ever recall. As usual I'm not studying game film nor deeply researching numbers, it's just what I am noticing watching the games. It's time to stop dancing around potential hurt feelings and loyalty and let Bo power the offensive engine. He needs to be the first one you go to when you get a 4-3 PP in OT. Willy (and Jim & Trevor) need to get on board. Unfortunately, it's time.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: The biggest problem for me? The shitty style of hockey they play. This dump and chase, New Jersey style trapping, grind it out hockey is painful to watch especially with a mediocre at best team. Rely on the goalie, try to win by one goal (which they've been doing at a rate that almost no team ever has), winning in OT and SO, late tying goal to salvage a point stuff has made them look better than they are.

To me this is a bad team that has some promise, but not enough depth to go anywhere anytime soon. The twins are falling off quickly, not enough young forward depth and a few bad contracts will mean they are still mediocre for the next couple of years. I really hope I'm wrong but the team will definitely need a couple of new scorers in the very near future, let's hope they can draft them as this type of player is very expensive in free agency.
Your second point is the reason for the first.
It's a big issue I agree, but I'd much rather watch the team get buried and play up tempo hockey with a bunch of young players who are getting better. This continued loyalty to vets who aren't getting the job done makes zero sense. It's a business, not a social club. And then they wonder why the fans aren't coming out anymore......
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm trying to remember the last time the Sedins' regular linemate was so crappy though.

Burrows was already a 20-goal scorer when he made the jump. Hansen was an established 2nd/3rd liner. Carter was a top-6 player. Samuelsson, Demitra, Bulis, all those guys were at least NHLers.

I actually think you'd have to go back to Cowan for such a low-quality player on the Sedin line.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:I'm trying to remember the last time the Sedins' regular linemate was so crappy though.

Burrows was already a 20-goal scorer when he made the jump. Hansen was an established 2nd/3rd liner. Carter was a top-6 player. Samuelsson, Demitra, Bulis, all those guys were at least NHLers.

I actually think you'd have to go back to Cowan for such a low-quality player on the Sedin line.

Klatt?
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's unfortunate injuries have played such a large role in the team's endeavors again this year.
Just not having Hansen, (Mr. utility), has an enormous effect on line options.
Shouldn't be that dramatic, but it is. That and the "de-evolution" of Jake.
Better contribution from Burrows than I expected but he has to stay healthy, don't know if he can all year.
Granlund is becoming a pleasant surprise, hopefully.
Bo and Baer, well goes without saying. Maybe next year Boeser slips into that line :shock:
Up front: The vets are the vets and it seems to me the better the youth plays, the more inspired they play, so I wonder who's pushing who? ;)

Someone said something along the lines of Larsen and Stecher needing to be "babysat" by their defensive partners.
First of all, I wouldn't even mention those two names in a comparison :bang:

Willie goes to Stecher so often because he is the best we have and no one else on the back end can quarterback as well as he can in offensive situations. He is not a liability as a pure defenseman either. (insert alarm clock smiley).
Edler can do it but his health and coinciding speed still seem to be an issue.
Tanev is great, when he can stay healthy. Haven't seen that improved shot yet.
Tryamkin is coming along marvelously and when he learns all the aspects of the game, I see a win/win situation for player and organization. 8-)
Sbisa is quietly having his best year as a pro, hope he keeps it up.
Hutton, Gudbranson are both having confidence problems which is bad but good in the sense that they take the game seriously so hopefully a temporary dilemma.

Goaltending is better than adequate...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd like to see Stetcher back in Utica . Biega gives us better defence and plays a tougher game. Mind you we will lose Stetcher's offence. Play Biega and call up Pedan as the extra D.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'd like to see Stetcher back in Utica . Biega gives us better defence and plays a tougher game. Mind you we will lose Stetcher's offence. Play Biega and call up Pedan as the extra D.
Considering how he's the only dman with some QB ability, that's an horrendous ideal, sorry hdub.
Without Hutton the Canucks have 4 goals from d-men in their line-up & no one with more than one.
With our young defense still developing, it's of utter importance they continue having this tough learning curve, so in the infamous 2-3 years from now, they will have learned quite a bit and will be better for it.

It's akin to a young Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook going through those tough dark years developing with Chicago, before the Blackhawks drafted Toews and Kane.

Develop defense first (which JB has constructed) as they take longer to develop then get yourself those high end forwards after as they can have an immediate impact after getting drafted.

It's the smart build.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've spent all season laughing at how over rated many here have the little trojan.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:I've spent all season laughing at how over rated many here have the little trojan.
I know you hate short people ala Wilson the superbowl champ, but ya gotta give this stecher guy a break bro.

I bet he becomes quite similar to Sami Vatanen - both same height, right shot QB's, but stecher is already 7lbs heavier.

Stecher gets a lot of shots on net so he has accuracyImage, and his shot will get stronger, really it's only a matter of time with all those shots that those start to go in.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:I've spent all season laughing at how over rated many here have the little trojan.
It's probably the same kind of laughing you did at all of us who thought Mason Raymond was going to be a bust.....but as always you knew better. :roll:
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:I'm trying to remember the last time the Sedins' regular linemate was so crappy though.

Klatt?
Jason King
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

CrzyCanuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Klatt?
Jason King
Brookbank?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins are like Crosby it's hard to find proper chemsitry as the triplet long term.

naslund, linden, klatt, smolinksi, jensen, santos, dalpe, king, dorsett, megna, sutter, vrbata, eriksson, pyatt, kesler.

The trio that were the only were a good fit were Carter, Burrows and Hansen, meh players but they play hard, have a hustle attitude - swarming around the net.

But in their hey day, it didn't matter who played with them, like any great duo combination in NHL history they could made their RW have a career year.

They got one good year left, hope next season the team is improved up front and our young defense continues to develop so they can have a good farewell tour next season, end it with a bang.

Heck get the other older top tier guy Thornton July 1st, who has never won a Cup either, combine their forces for one last hurrah.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

double post in error :shock:
Last edited by lostinarink on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

lostinarink wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Klatt?
King? - of the infamous mattress line : "2 twins and a king", or for those of more feeble mind, "2 queens and a king".