Change of Ownership

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do the Canucks need a change of ownership?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Change of Ownership

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote:With Bridge contracts diminishing and mega bucks being paid right after ELCs, there will be an equalizing effect over the next 3 to 5 years.
Chicago did what they felt they had to do with Panarin, and I get that. They are all in for another cup right now.
Over a period of time though, this is going to get harder.
Maybe Doc has calculated the 2 to 3 year plan with this equalization factor in effect. ;)
Doc factors in all things...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
If the Oilers haven't improved from a decade of losing, something is wrong. They are in a world of hurt when the my will have to make McDavid the highest paid player in the NHL, not good when the Canadian dollar is back to where it should be and the entire province of Alberta is in a major recession. You still have RNH, Lucic, Eberle, Klefbom are on big contracts they will need dough to sign Puljiarvi, Nurse and Draisatl not to mention fill out an entire roster to be a cup contender. I don't think the Oil are miles better than us, maybe further along in the rebuild as they should be with this current rebuild being the 4th version in over and decade of rebuilding
Lucky for them there is maximum salary...

If they could trade a couple of those high priced guys for some grit and leadership with playoff experience, they feasibly could become contenders right about when they have to lock up mcdavid long term.

There is the bad with having the games "best player". Team s with elite generational players are teams with not the greatest depth due to all the money going to one basket. His contract will be the price of two star players after you work out the US exchange. Don't kid yourself - the Oilers will have to pay McDavid handsomely to make up for playing in a small market. Matthews will make a shit load more than McDavid not because he's better it's because of the market. Why do you think Connor wasnt thrilled about being drafted by Edmonton

The Canucks will win with depth, they may not have the McDavid presence but it is team sport after all that is not won by one player alone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Big shock that Dufferin Dude derailed yet another thread.

The Aquilinis aren't going anywhere and they have deep pockets. They have spent to the cap for good teams and shitty ones too. With a 60 cent dollar on the horizon, a bad hockey team with weak prospect depth and fans staying away in droves, the owner is the least of the problems.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Big shock that Dufferin Dude derailed yet another thread.

The Aquilinis aren't going anywhere and they have deep pockets. They have spent to the cap for good teams and shitty ones too. With a 60 cent dollar on the horizon, a bad hockey team with weak prospect depth and fans staying away in droves, the owner is the least of the problems.
Aaaaaaaaand for something totally different from Roberto Macenzzi^^^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This back and forth between the Dude and Blobby is much more entertaining if you envision them as a single bi-polar fan. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Kind of like the Narrator/Tyler Durden characters?

Very shrewd recruitment tool, Corny. Getting the rest of us into this CC Fight Club to watch Dude/Blob beat himself up.

So, how does Project Mayhem end? Does it put a stop to the corporate greed and rampant consumerism of the current owners? Will it help "blow up" the structure of this hockey club?

I can see Dude/Blob lead "Fire Gillis"/"Fire Elmer" chants at Rogers, then start punching himself for all to see on the jumbotron.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hank wrote:Kind of like the Narrator/Tyler Durden characters?

Very shrewd recruitment tool, Corny. Getting the rest of us into this CC Fight Club to watch Dude/Blob beat himself up.

So, how does Project Mayhem end? Does it put a stop to the corporate greed and rampant consumerism of the current owners? Will it help "blow up" the structure of this hockey club?

I can see Dude/Blob lead "Fire Gillis"/"Fire Elmer" chants at Rogers, then start punching himself for all to see on the jumbotron.
Ok, since you've ALREADY broken the first rule...

Project Mayhem will continue on until the end of the season. Anarchy and unpredictability will be spread across the ice. The final act will be held at the NHL draft lottery, where a surprise ending will come.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ Lol "professor" Cornuck... are RD and Blob your Punch and Judy? :mrgreen:
micky107 wrote:With Bridge contracts diminishing and mega bucks being paid right after ELCs, there will be an equalizing effect over the next 3 to 5 years.
Chicago did what they felt they had to do with Panarin, and I get that. They are all in for another cup right now.
Over a period of time though, this is going to get harder.
Maybe Doc has calculated the 2 to 3 year plan with this equalization factor in effect. ;)
Well when Lord Benning was first appointed lord of your Vancouver Canucks

... he talked about the importance of always having ELCs + bridge contracts on your roster.

And as Dude alluded, if you're not a surefire superstar, you're likely getting a bridge.

Lord Benning is an architect with a master plan.

Lord Benning will no doubt eventually have his mitts all over Lord Stanley's Cup. (again) :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: I like that Aqualini are Vancouver Canucks
Fans and I don't mind that they are emotionally invested.
Agree completely.

Nice posting in this thread btw UK! :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote:
Hank wrote:Kind of like the Narrator/Tyler Durden characters?

Ok, since you've ALREADY broken the first rule...

Project Mayhem will continue on until the end of the season. Anarchy and unpredictability will be spread across the ice. The final act will be held at the NHL draft lottery, where a surprise ending will come.
Well then, I might as well break the second rule too... ;)

Nice, I like this project plan! :mex: :drink:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Interesting that this pops up, I attended last nights game and actually thought about ownership changing.

The development surrounding Rogers is moving along nicely, all those condos and building will be done sooner rather than later. Isn't this one of the reasons the Aquilini's wanted the building and team? And they are developing a ton ont he arena grounds.

Once all this development is completed and with the already increase in the value of the Canucks I would not be surprised at all to see the Aqua's cash out and go back to being fans.

Next couple years could be interesting.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Just curious if Ron Toigo has the jack to purchase the team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Like everyone else around here I have heard rumours and innuendo (Isn't that an Italian enema?) regarding the Aquilinis. I profess not to be an in the know person but over the years I have known or met people who have worked for or done business with them. Most contractors I know dislike them. However I met a gentleman in his 70s who claimed he worked very closely with them in their office. He told me he liked and respected the sons. He stated they are pious and only Francesco drinks. FA also wants to win a Stanley Cup in the worst way. What he also said is that the father, Luigi still is the patriarch and has final say in everything. It was Luigi's decision to hire John Tortorella. So to the sons, Francesco, Paulo and Roberto I have to say respect to them they don't undermine their father the way Stafford Smythe did along with Harold Ballard to Conn Smythe in order to wrestle control of the Maple leaves from Conn. I also understand that they need Trevor Linden more than he needs them. Trevor can walk away any time he wants, he does fine with his own businesses. Maybe this gent was feeding me a line of BS so everyone here can take it for what it's worth.

I also believe Dave Nonis has known them for a long time being the Aquilinis grew up in East Van and Nonis in Burnaby. They're about the same age. The Italian community was pretty tight knit through the 60s, 70s and 80s in metro Vancouver. I wouldn't be surprised there might be somewhat of a rivalry between Nonis and them. We kept hearing all the BS from Darren Dreger about how Gillis inherited all the pieces to the Canucks while Nonis was in TO. I believe also the leak we heard last season about the Canucks players available came from Nonis and not Brian Burke. Burke has respect for Trevor Linden, which is why I don't think he leaked it.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove wrote:
Lord Benning will no doubt eventually have his mitts all over Lord Stanley's Cup. (again) :mex:
And what year do you envision that we win the cup?

Heck, when will we see a playoff game again?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

mr perfect wrote:However I met a gentleman in his 70s who claimed he worked very closely with them in their office. He told me he liked and respected the sons. He stated they are pious and only Francesco drinks. FA also wants to win a Stanley Cup in the worst way. What he also said is that the father, Luigi still is the patriarch and has final say in everything. It was Luigi's decision to hire John Tortorella.
*Perfect-Plex* Interesting read. Thanx dood.