Elliotte Friedman: Linden... NOT.. Considering Stepping Down

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Elliotte Friedman: Linden Considering Stepping Down

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: I remember saying the biggest challenge to Nonis was to replace the WCE. remember, back when a couple of Swedish twins were scrawny kids playing sheltered third line minute, showing the odd glimpse of real talent but not far removed from being drinking game.
I distinctly remember a Sedin megathread at Central in the summer of 2003.

A lot of posters in those days... and at least 90% had written off the Sedins (as far as 1st liners).

Not to brag, but the Great Strangelove was the only one to say "eventual point-per-game players". :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

vic wrote: Gillis did a better job of bringing in players to complement the core than Nonis/Burke ever did.

He was able to bring in players like Malhotra, Samuelsson, Torres, Higgins, Ehrohoff, Hamhuis, Lappierer because he was able to sign The Twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Lugongo to very cap friendly deals. All those player played big roles in the 2011 run as well as the years around.

Gillis also made the decision to let Naslund walk, which was huge - no way Nonis or Burke let that happen.

Compare that to Nonis/Burke when the WCE was the best line in hockey - Weinrich, Carney, Sopel.
Nonis/Burke did get some good players to compliment the WCE. They traded for B.Mo, Jovo, Linden, Salo and signed Anson Carter. They drafted higher than MG, but got some later round steals well, not sure MG was able to do that, (ie: the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Schneids, Hansen, MayRay, Grabner, Bieksa, etc). Other than Hodgson, who is no longer in the league, can't really pinpoint anyone of significance that he drafted. He did get Hutton, Gaunce, Rodin and they may become good players I guess, but still too early to say. I'll give him credit for signing Tanev + Lack too.

By in large, I think MG inherited a team with a LOT of good pieces to make for a contender. He just added some minor pieces to it, but failed to add/develop top prospects to keep the machine going. One can argue that happens when u finish on the top of the standings every year though.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote: I remember saying the biggest challenge to Nonis was to replace the WCE. remember, back when a couple of Swedish twins were scrawny kids playing sheltered third line minute, showing the odd glimpse of real talent but not far removed from being drinking game.
I distinctly remember a Sedin megathread at Central in the summer of 2003.

A lot of posters in those days... and at least 90% had written off the Sedins (as far as 1st liners).

Not to brag, but the Great Strangelove was the only one to say "eventual point-per-game players". :mex:
made to 0.8, which is lower than Blob's blood alcohol.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A chronological event of sorts:

Canucks drafted Grabner in the 1st round
Gillis trades a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Steve Bernier
Gillis trades Grabner, Bernier and a 1st round pick for Keith "$4.2 mill per" Ballard
According to Blob, Giggles ruins Ballards career
AV fired
Gillis fired
Ballard bought out
Ballard quits hockey
AV doing a great coaching the Rangers since his Canuck firing
Grabner has 9 goals with the Rangers right now
Gillis still without a job in the NHL
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

NOT Considering Stepping Down

Post by Strangelove »

^Dude, you still in love with Gatling Gun Grabner?? :wink:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coyo ... -hamilton/

I changed the title of this thread because Friedman actually said Linden is NOT considering stepping down (3:35)

MacLean: "What about the rumours Linden is considering stepping down?"

Friedman: "I talked to Linden and he vehemently denied the rumours." (paraphrased)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:A chronological event of sorts:

Gillis trades Grabner, Bernier and a 1st round pick for Keith "$4.2 mill per" Ballard
AV fired
Gillis fired
Ballard bought out
Ballard quits hockey
10 goals.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Elliotte Friedman: Linden... NOT.. Considering Stepping

Post by rats19 »

:wink: Lets dwell shall we..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:Lets dwell shall we..
Abide?
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:
rats19 wrote:Lets dwell shall we..
Abide?
The dude
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:That new first line won't emerge this year but maybe we can see someone begin to emerge and hope Boeser is the real deal next year. Sometimes I think it might be Bo, with more ice time and a pure goal scorer beside him.
Yeah, I'm also starting to think that Bo may end up being our 1C, which is not bad if he`s putting up Morrison type numbers and flanked by a couple of scorers. Tough to win a Cup that way but I think it depends on how much of a leader he is. In that respect there's a lot of untapped potential.
I also could see Bo developing into a #1 centre, and a better one than Mo...
He could , and that would be great. Thing is besides him there are no other young centres in the organization that project to be even a top six guy. Moving forward with Bo and Sutter as your top two centres after next season would not be cool. I never considered Morrison to be a top line guy even though he played with two elite players. Yes there are a few promising signs from a few young guys but there needs to be a lot more bullets in the gun if this thing has a chance.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:That new first line won't emerge this year but maybe we can see someone begin to emerge and hope Boeser is the real deal next year. Sometimes I think it might be Bo, with more ice time and a pure goal scorer beside him.
Yeah, I'm also starting to think that Bo may end up being our 1C, which is not bad if he`s putting up Morrison type numbers and flanked by a couple of scorers. Tough to win a Cup that way but I think it depends on how much of a leader he is. In that respect there's a lot of untapped potential.
I also could see Bo developing into a #1 centre, and a better one than Mo...
He could , and that would be great. Thing is besides him there are no other young centres in the organization that project to be even a top six guy. Moving forward with Bo and Sutter as your top two centres after next season would not be cool. I never considered Morrison to be a top line guy even though he played with two elite players. Yes there are a few promising signs from a few young guys but there needs to be a lot more bullets in the gun if this thing has a chance.
Adding to Blob's comment, I would agree that Morrison never really seemed to be a top line guy (more that he was able to fit well between top line guys) and I wouldn't be surprised if Bo could already do as well as Mo if put between Naslund and Bertuzzi in their prime. The more pressing question is whether Bo will be a true 1st line player who can elevate the games of his linemates rather than having his own game elevated (by others) from a 2nd line guy to a 1st.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Aaronp18 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:A chronological event of sorts:

AV fired
Gillis fired
Ballard bought out
Ballard quits hockey
10 goals.
Who cares? Grabner's inconsistent play destroys his value. That is why we dumped him in the first place.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!