The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

No cups either (dave andreychuks cup was all big boys)
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 pm No cups either (dave andreychuks cup was all big boys)
Old school has flown the coup, with the dodo birds and black rhinos now. The Ryan Clowes have been replaced by speed and skill!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Just considering the 're-build' and where we are today and what is a reasonable time line for a rebuild.

JB was brought on-board after the 2013-14 season where we finished 36-35-11 (bye Loungo and bye Kesler). He re-tooled and the following season, 14-15, the Canucks finished 48-29-5 and made a quick departure in the first round of play-offs to Calgary. The following 3 seasons, 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18, the Canucks finished no better than 31-38-13, now this season appears to be in the same ilk as the last 4.

If i recall correctly, JB never acknowledged actually pursuing a rebuild until late in the 15-16 season. So here we are in the 18-19 season - 3 years into the rebuild. So what do u think, what's a reasonable time span for a rebuild? How long does mgt. put up with being on the losing side of the ledger? In each of those losing years we should be able count on high draft picks sticking with the club. Might we also have the expectation of accumulating a few quality free agents as well (not talking about Eriksson here)?

So next season is year 4 of the rebuild you have to believe that the gig will be up - neither ownership nor long-suffering fans should have to endure any more of the sub-par bleah that we've been fed. Ole JB needs to be behind a turn of the tide so-to-speak or he's gone - but this is just my opinion. What do others believe is a reasonable time period for orchestrating a rebuild?
cc oldtimer
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm not as concerned with saying a rebuild should take X number of years, but I expect progress through those years.

All we saw this year was a rookie with extreme skill and a goalie find his game. Without those two, we wouldn't have improved much (if any) over last year.

Next year we should see a real jump with fresh bodies on D, a steady goalie from the start, and more experience up front.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The Aquas would be idiots if they fired the GM who stole a generational player in the draft. A lot hinges on Petey's sophomore season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

More experienced driver might help too. With the rebuild that is.

"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

nuckster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 pm Just considering the 're-build' and where we are today and what is a reasonable time line for a rebuild.

JB was brought on-board after the 2013-14 season where we finished 36-35-11 (bye Loungo and bye Kesler). He re-tooled and the following season, 14-15, the Canucks finished 48-29-5 and made a quick departure in the first round of play-offs to Calgary. The following 3 seasons, 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18, the Canucks finished no better than 31-38-13, now this season appears to be in the same ilk as the last 4.

If i recall correctly, JB never acknowledged actually pursuing a rebuild until late in the 15-16 season. So here we are in the 18-19 season - 3 years into the rebuild. So what do u think, what's a reasonable time span for a rebuild? How long does mgt. put up with being on the losing side of the ledger? In each of those losing years we should be able count on high draft picks sticking with the club. Might we also have the expectation of accumulating a few quality free agents as well (not talking about Eriksson here)?

So next season is year 4 of the rebuild you have to believe that the gig will be up - neither ownership nor long-suffering fans should have to endure any more of the sub-par bleah that we've been fed. Ole JB needs to be behind a turn of the tide so-to-speak or he's gone - but this is just my opinion. What do others believe is a reasonable time period for orchestrating a rebuild?
Rebuilds happen quicker when you get a first overall. Benning never got close to a pick like that. Look at Winnipeg, they’ve sucked forever, but I think we should see a marked improvement next year.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As for the whole "rebuild" - I feel I've been watching a 50 (SO) year rebuild. Or is it a "Build" - since we really haven't built a championship team, yet?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It would be nice to get a first overall pick, but I wouldn't sweat it if we don't get one. Look through the list; there's a ton of guys drafted first who never got near a Stanley Cup final round.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I sometimes wonder what may have been if the "lockout" of 94/95 had not occurred.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 am As for the whole "rebuild" - I feel I've been watching a 50 (SO) year rebuild. Or is it a "Build" - since we really haven't built a championship team, yet?
Lafayette crossbar
Refs/injuries
94/11
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am It would be nice to get a first overall pick, but I wouldn't sweat it if we don't get one. Look through the list; there's a ton of guys drafted first who never got near a Stanley Cup final round.
I feel like Petey is a first overall talent. Elmer’s just got to slash the deadweight off the roster and add picks and prospects. And he can’t stub his toe in the top 10 anymore. Look at the Jets. Chevy hasn’t had a first round flop in 8 or 9 years. They just keep drafting quality players.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 am As for the whole "rebuild" - I feel I've been watching a 50 (SO) year rebuild. Or is it a "Build" - since we really haven't built a championship team, yet?
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 am Rebuilds happen quicker when you get a first overall. Benning never got close to a pick like that. Look at Winnipeg, they’ve sucked forever, but I think we should see a marked improvement next year.
So, you guys are saying a 3 year rebuild isn't really that long comparatively speaking.

Aqua certainly didn't fire Gillis to rebuild. And he certainly DID NOT hire Torts with a rich 5 year contract to rebuild.

Then he didn't hire Linden the goodwill ambassador to fire Torts with 4 years remaining after a disastrous year to rebuild. And he wouldn't have hired ANY management team to rebuild because the family always has playoff revenues in their sights. Anyone really think that any incoming GM would say "Nah, Francesco, I'm going to do what's good for you and blow this thing up" after he got hired? Seriously?

Do you get hired for a job, then show up to do the exact opposite of the job description?

Then after the terrible Canuck Luck where a weak team managed to eke into the playoffs only to be dusted by the Flames, Aqua was probably very disappointed but still didn't outwardly support a rebuild.

It was only until recently (after ousting Linden) that you heard the horse actually say to the supporters that they like their youth and need to preach patience... the same owner who didn't like Trev's message about patience.

So, if you looked at the real direction (the Aquas), it certainly hasn't been that long compared to some other teams that are still rebuilding. There's some really dire areas (cough, defencemen) but even fans can admit we're a team on the upswing.

Sure, it's 50 years, but that is the Hockey Gods' test for us.

RE: Winnipeg. That is an incredible record of successful 1st round picks which is definitely not the norm or league average. Something to try to model but who's to say anyone can model that? You have to be both good and lucky... and that's not the Canucks ;)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

We had a championship team in 2011, but got robbed. :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Per wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:51 am
We had a championship team in 2011, but got robbed. :evil:
We got outscored 23-8 in 7 games
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”