The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow »

I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

Of course that’s the knock on Pettersson too.

I think Hughes could play in the NHL. But is Benning ready willing and able to move out 2-3 on D.

I say 2-3 counting D that need to clear waivers.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Pouliot
Stetcher
Biega
Sautner

They could clear out bodies and use him as the 7-8 guy with an off ice developmental planned days, off ice training type of deal. Similar to what they wanted/tried to do with McCaan and Virtanen.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

I think Hughes could play in the NHL. But is Benning ready willing and able to move out 2-3 on D.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Hughes <------ Right around here
Pouliot
Stetcher
------------
Biega
Sautner
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm I guess it depends upon what needs developing. Hughes already has NHL skill, speed, awareness, hockey IQ. The only negative appears to be strenghting up to prepare for the rigours of the NHL. That being the case the NCAA would be a better option than Utica. It gives him one more year of physical growth and one more year of off ice work.

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Hughes <------ Right around here
Pouliot
Stetcher
------------
Biega
Sautner
Oh ya it can be done, no problem. It’s just if Benning wants to do that.

We could take these nine
Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Hutton
MDZ
Pouliot
Stetcher
Biega
Sautner

Trade one for a pick(s) next year and run with the other 8. Giving us Juolevi and others a chance to be the injury call ups and let Hughes go back to Michigan. In this scenario I would then want to trade 4+ of those 8 at the TDD clearing room in 2019 for Hughes, Juolevi, Brisbois and whoever else.

Of course we could trade a few of our D now, sign deHaan and keep Hughes.

So numerous scenarios exist it’s just if Benning is willing to do it.

I’ve changed my opinion on this so many times. As it sits I’m all in for keeping Hughes and Juolevi. Keeping Tanev and Edler. Trading as many of the following:
Hutton
Stetcher
Pouliot
MDZ
Gudbranson
Biega
Sautner.

Sign FA to fill the void.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I really think Benning wants to have both EP & Hughes on the team this season and would be willing to make the moves to accommodate. Lord knows he should be making a few moves regardless to clear the jam of bodies.

It's whether Green wants those moves to be made.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The kid can do it. The grit we added will stop most of the liberties, particularly that asshole Roussel. See what a good asshole can do for a team. You become the targeter instead of the targetee. I’d sign Hughes and move out a couple of Hutton, MDZ, Biega and Pouliot, and keep a couple as 7th and 8th Dmen.

Tanev Hughes
Gudbranson Edler
Stecher Sautner
7th 8th

Calling up Juolevi when injuries occur.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My canucks defense doesnt include Troy Stretcher. You can get away with one undersized d if he is exceptional at skating and moving the puck but tiny troy is neither fast nor exceptional at much.

Topper had him pegged about a week in and he was bang on
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Not many better choices than Stetcher for a sixth D. Pouliot isn’t as fast. Biega gets overwhelmed. MDZ and Hutton play the other side, no better than Stetcher on the right side. Until Woo is ready or Tryamkin returns, I don’t see a better choice on the right side. I think that’s why so many of us were hoping for Dobson to get drafted.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 pm The kid can do it. The grit we added will stop most of the liberties, particularly that asshole Roussel. See what a good asshole can do for a team. You become the targeter instead of the targetee.
Yeah among other things, these new guys know how to make opponents understand that if they target our skill guys we'll target theirs.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If Hughes wants assurances of NO MINORS, I don't blame him. It's not arrogance, it's smart!

Every time I say this, I get dumped on,
The minors is an ugly place to be and to be avoided. Not great for development either.
Of course most players tow the company line and don't say it.
Once you've been around long enough and have the one-way contract, stints are easier to stomach and I don't
think anyone has a problem being there to rehab.
Players know when they're border-line good enough so those types are perfectly willing to go up and down.

You are never going to see the days going back to the team developing almost all players in the AHL
like Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, etc.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I’m not sold on Juolevi being ready for the NHL just yet. Especially coming off surgery. If the team is going to roll with 8 dmen, it will be difficult to have two play sheltered minutes (would likely leave them alternating in the press box). For a dynamic offensive player like Hughes, having him for 3-4 minutes on the PP/night (plyua 8-10 EV) would probably benefit the team and player. For an all-round dman like Juolevi, we may want him eating minutes in Utica.

I’m not sure Biega, Sautner, or Stetcher have any value on the trade market (every team has players like this and many will be on waivers throughout camp).
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I had some further thoughts on the second and third lines that I posted earlier. Earlier I had Gaudette with Pettersson on the second line together. Two rookies on the same line is asking a bit much. But Benning did say he saw both rookies as scorers for the team next season. Now I think maybe the third line will be asked to do some scoring. Gaudette has the reputation of being a bit nasty, but we didn’t see much of that at the end of last season. As well Virtanen, who is no longer a rookie and can support Gaudette some, has the potential to be more of a jerk, too. So I think the third line will become an:

Asshole in Training Zone

Consisting of a professional asshole and two apprentice assholes.

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

That has the potential to be a very nasty line to play against. It has excellent speed, hard forechecking, good 200 foot players, the potential for a number of grinding type goals, and a high asshole quotient.

However, moving Gaudette to the third line means Sutter moves off that line and likely up to the second line. But that wouldn’t be great if Sutter centered Pettersson. However, if this was reversed over time it would be much better. If Pettersson was center and Sutter played right wing the second line would be much better. Sutter could still take the majority of draws, especially in the defensive zone, but Pettersson could be the main distributer/play-maker for the line. So my new line up would be.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutterson (Pettersson and Sutter sharing C and RW)
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Schaller Beagle Granlund

With one of Gagner, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte, Gaunce, and Archibald fighting to be the 13th forward, and Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, and Jasek starting in Utica.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

CP good post bro Interesting times in canuckland

I really like your Gaudette -Roussel-Virtanen line. Alot. I've always felt kids need someone tougher to absorb the facewashes. I honestly think Jake has suffered with softer linemates and he might just blossom on a line like that. Hopefully Guadette isn't so tentative this year and loading him on a line with a dick and a half might help.

Its tough to say where EP might play. I think he should absolutely have someone with him to help him create space and i dont actually see a center in blue/green that fits the bill. I guess Eriksson is probably the best option across from him but i would hold off on saddling them with Sutters lack of creativity and aversion to using his linemates. My guts says itll be Gagner at C which isnt exactly ideal.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m not a huge fan of the second line either, but if they play Sutter and Eriksson more on the PK and play Pettersson more on the PP and the whole line less 5 on 5 unless they really click, it might be sufficient. I think that third line would be great 5 on 5, just nasty, but not so much for specialty teams. Fourth line would be strictly a shutdown and PK line.

Just have to stick to my plan, sign Hughes and stay injury free and they are:

Definitely a playoff team

:mrgreen:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am I’m not a huge fan of the second line either, but if they play Sutter and Eriksson more on the PK and play Pettersson more on the PP and the whole line less 5 on 5 unless they really click, it might be sufficient. I think that third line would be great 5 on 5, just nasty, but not so much for specialty teams. Fourth line would be strictly a shutdown and PK line.

Just have to stick to my plan, sign Hughes and stay injury free and they are:

Definitely a playoff team

:mrgreen:
The dark horse for 2C is Dahlen/Pettersson sharing the middle. Or even if Lind comes to camp after a cycle of roids.

I still think Sutter gets moved before october
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yes, Hockey talk!

Nice take CP. I think it's largely up to Green though. Benning can wish all he wants but coaches now have to have their way. I have no doubt TG had influence on the FA acquisitions.

I'm hoping we see some of these variations you mention, but I think we have to have some patience. Guys like Gagner will probably have a ton of chances to prove that he's no longer a fit (not that he ever was).

I expect JB to weed out some left-side D first, then maybe there'll be some callups like Gaudette later in the season or if injuries happen.

Don't see us contending this year, so hopefully we can move some vets with value for picks at TD (Yeah, yeah, I know... :roll: ) and more of the kids will get called up and finish the season here.

Get Hughes signed!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!