The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by nuckster »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:07 am Gaudette had a so/so run last season offensively and until he can convert some of those moves hes got into goals he'll have to earn a spot like 2C.

Thats not a knock on the kid btw before you guys jump me its more that his tea is still too weak and need a few more minutes in the pot.
So here's a question that I've wondered about: is it really better to put a talented up-an-comer in the farm, or let him develop offensively amongst the established 'big-team' players? Naturally everone is different. But it seems sometimes like a carte blanche attitude exists that everyone should just be sent down to the farm to mature! Not so sure about that. 😐
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:52 am so, a couple of us were chatting in the office about Karlson, and how Ottawa wanted to get rid of Ryan's contract at the same time. In all honesty, we don't want Ryan right now ( no roster space), so 2 questions:

Can a team trade salary? (Could Ottawa trade us Karlson and 3 million of Ryan's Salary?)

Or, would the league approve a Karlson and Ryan trade for say (example) Tanev, Hutton and Gagne, then we trade Ryan back to Ottawa for like a 3rd and retain some of Ryan's salary?

I am pretty sure you can't add salary to a trade (example 1), but would the second option be approved by the league, or considered some kind of circumvention?
Salary (or portions of salary) cannot be traded.

Example 2 is also illegal:

(C) Under no circumstances may a Club:
(4) Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;
Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.

Back to the drawing board with you and your coworkers!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:50 am In case you are unaware of his dirty little secret, Bettman is a vampire that the Count on Sesame Street was designed after.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am I hear lots of talk about having EP in the line-up to start the year and some talk about Hughes, but there seems to be very little talk about the prospect of having Gaudette in the line up. Here we have the Hobey Baker winner who's a center who has a reputation/history for scoring goals (no small deal). So why not have Gaudette play along with EP on the second line along with Erickson? As much as I would really like to see them play together, i kinda doubt that Green will go for it, he appears to prefer a more established 2-way defensively responsible system, which isnt bad if youre trying to win games, but personally i would prefer him take some risks and support the creative potential that exists in the offensive development of the up-an-comers. Another piece that supports taking a risk like this is the fact that the canucks desperately need to find a way to generate offence. Having Sutter as the second line ctr is not going to cut it, and the new acquisitions are not goal scorers either, but Gaudette is. They owe it to EP to provide him with a an offensive 'gamer' like Gaudette!
Someone else suggested putting Gaudette and Pettersson together.

I wasn't keen on it at first, but the idea is growing on me.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Two rookie centers together... nay.

I've mentioned Gaudette could start 3rd line center like Alex Kerfoot did on the Avs.

And him being a 200ft type, he'd suit that role admirably.

I just think we'd have to move Sam Gagner to make a roster spot for Gaud.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 am Two rookie centers together... nay.

I've mentioned Gaudette could start 3rd line center like Alex Kerfoot did on the Avs.

Agreed. If this is weeded down properly, for this year, we could roll four lines with not quite equal time, but close.
I would love to see that.
Green has to watch his temper though and be a little more responsible in the area of discipline. It's a young team now.
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 am Two rookie centers together... nay.

Goodness, we wouldnt want to see Gags, the offensive and defensive dynamo, moved!

With the new acquistions, there's no frikin room for Gaudette at center on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I get confused by people saying "oh we're gonna be much younger now." Aside from Petterson being assured of a spot, all Benning did was clog up the lineup with 2 inflated contracts for two 30+ plugs that dont score... oh yes, we're 'grittier' now, but not really younger.
cc oldtimer
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Those scrawny kids need some protection nukster. What will it do for their confidence to get bitch slapped in every scrum.

See-Jake Virtanen
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm thinking, (more hoping), Gagner will be moved.
MDZ may be on borrowed time too, but only if Hughes sticks and plays, (big maybe).
Can't see a spot for old man Hutton either.
For Hutton to stay, he will have to "A Super Hero" in preseason.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sam Gagner is the most expendable, he has no NTC and only two years left on deal, he's a creative right shot center who has shown to be a 40 pt guy all his pro career. But alas if the team is looking to contend in a few years, the time is ripe to bring in and develop Adam Gaudette as a center right now, he can be used in all-game situations, he's a lightning rod of intelligence on the ice and has scoring potential, his energy and work ethic will be a key cog in the revitalization of this fully operational and rebuilt team.

Gaudette has the intangibles Travis Green likes to execute in his systems, Gaud will be a natural #3C for now, slot him with the hitman Virtanen and you got yourself a solid all-round line to help the team win asap.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm I'm thinking, (more hoping), Gagner will be moved.
MDZ may be on borrowed time too, but only if Hughes sticks and plays, (big maybe).
Can't see a spot for old man Hutton either.
For Hutton to stay, he will have to "A Super Hero" in preseason.
Im in agreement with ya ole man - ( said the 55 year old man to the 60+ man 😀). It really looks like there's a bit of a log-jam of bodies. Ya have to think that something has to give. My perception is that JB seems to have a heck of a time when it comes to the trading game, and who would want to pick up Gags and his contract? JB would have to probably agree to eat half of it. An Hutton? Maybe he gets a 4th or 5th?
cc oldtimer
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ya, might be worth eating a bit, maybe work out some way to get a later pick as well.
Hutton mystifies me. What went wrong?
Can't blame it totally on Green, though I didn't like the way he was handled, but his last year under WD sucked too.
If it's an attitude problem, that's a way log attitude. Too bad, damn it.
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:38 pm Sam Gagner is the most expendable, he has no NTC and only two years left on deal, he's a creative right shot center who has shown to be a 40 pt guy all his pro career. But alas if the team is looking to contend in a few years, the time is ripe to bring in and develop Adam Gaudette as a center right now, he can be used in all-game situations, he's a lightning rod of intelligence on the ice and has scoring potential, his energy and work ethic will be a key cog in the revitalization of this fully operational and rebuilt team.

Gaudette has the intangibles Travis Green likes to execute in his systems, Gaud will be a natural #3C for now, slot him with the hitman Virtanen and you got yourself a solid all-round line to help the team win asap.
I think it would be fantastic if it played out like you're suggesting. However, JB just brought in two centers at a cost. How do they reconcile this with giving up the #3 center spot to Gaudette? Not sure what 'genious' Jim was thinking here? But you know something, injuries WILL happen, and maybe like Boeser, Gaudette will 'seize the day' and then there's no going back. 😐 well ya never know, ya know.
cc oldtimer
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Based on what Jim is saying he wants a veteran centre playing with EP to help him on d side of puck. Whoever plays with EP should have an uptick in points, if its Sutter mission accomplished to unload him at trade deadline for a pick.

I’m all for slow cooking our prospects this year to ensure a high pick and not burning ELC on a nothing year. PEAKING with cap space has to be part of the strategy in next 5 years.

I hope Dahlin stays in Utica with Lind, Palmu, Gadj, only guys I want up are Juolevi and Gaudette and obv. EP. Hughes should go back and obtain our second Hobey Trophy.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

With the new additions, I think Gaudette starts the year in the minors. Unless he has a camp like Brockstar and forces their hand.