The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by SKYO »

Take the Cup champs the past three years and their FOUR MAIN players vs the Canucks.

Pens: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, Kris Letang.

Blackhawks: Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, (Sharp/Saad/Hossa), Duncan Keith.

Kings: Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, (Williams/Gaborik/Toffoli), Drew Doughty.

Canucks: Got one piece in place Bo Horvat, [need a game breaker], depth (eriksson, w/potential-baertschi/boeser/grans), Tanev(is more Hjalmarsson).

So for the rebuild the Canucks are missing an electric game breaker and a #1 dman, guess that's why JB wouldn't mind Liljegren as he some Doughty like skills.

Letang, Keith, Doughty are more QB leaders that have some good defensive ability, they are not big mammoths either.

Also why if we can't move up in the draft, the team should try to move Tanev+ for Drouin to fulfill that missing game breaker which would be a franchise defining moment and as bonus would help sell seats in Rogers Arena. (Drouin & Horvat both same age as well @22)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Take the Cup champs the past three years and their FOUR MAIN players vs the Canucks.

Canucks: Got one piece in place Bo Horvat, [need a game breaker], depth (eriksson, w/potential-baertschi/boeser/grans), Tanev(is more Hjalmarsson).

So for the rebuild the Canucks are missing an electric game breaker and a #1 dman, guess that's why JB wouldn't mind Liljegren as he some Doughty like skills.
Build through the draft. Canucks need a #1C, at least one more top-pairing potential Dman (Juolevi is likely top-4), and at least another Boesser-level winger before they can think of turning the corner.

Also, try ranking the bolded (drafted) players. Of them, only Saad and Toffoli would be comparable to any Canuck (and Horvat has a ways to go to to reach their level).
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:Take the Cup champs the past three years and their FOUR MAIN players vs the Canucks.

Build through the draft. Canucks need a #1C, at least one more top-pairing potential Dman (Juolevi is likely top-4), and at least another Boesser-level winger before they can think of turning the corner.

Also, try ranking the bolded (drafted) players. Of them, only Saad and Toffoli would be comparable to any Canuck (and Horvat has a ways to go to to reach their level).
Hence the entire reason why Elmer is an idiot if he has no plans to try and move Edler to Dallas for the 3rd overall. Seriously, take back one of Niemi or Lehtonen as cap dump in return, they both have 1 year left. That alone is a boon to the team that just signed Bishop. I suspect Edler would waive to head to Big D where his old buddy Hamhuis is currently playing, and his recent WC gold medal partner is a fixture. Toss in our 2nd and something. Just make it work.

3rd overall gets us one of Patrick, Hirschier, Vilardi, or Middelstad. 5th needs a miracle to get us one of them.

3rd and 5th get us 1 of them, and hoping that with said miracle we can snag 2 of them.

If Elmer doesn't pay the price, and the only pieces off the table should be Demko, Bo, Juolevi, and Boeser, right now, then Elmer and Co should go.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: If Elmer doesn't pay the price, and the only pieces off the table should be Demko, Bo, Juolevi, and Boeser, right now, then Elmer and Co should go.
I think the only other thing off the table would be this years #1 as well. He should do whatever he can to have 2 picks in the top 5.

DAL - Edler, prospect of their choice not listed above, 2017 2nd
VAN - 2017 1st, Niemi or Lehtonen
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Also why if we can't move up in the draft, the team should try to move Tanev+ for Drouin to fulfill that missing game breaker which would be a franchise defining moment and as bonus would help sell seats in Rogers Arena. (Drouin & Horvat both same age as well @22)
I would do both if Dallas has interest in Edler.

Edler + 2nd + ______ to Dallas for 3rd overall + Lehtonen/Niemi.

Tanev + 3rd + ______ to Tampa for Drouin.

Sign Brian Campbell as a guy who might be good for Hutton's development.

There's a fair number of other UFA defensemen who are 35+ who might come for a year or so, and offset the loss of our top pairing until we rebuild our blueline. Ideally you overpay Markov for one season as Montreal may be in tough to keep him now.

Drouin - Horvat - Baertschi
Dank - Hank - Boeser
Erikson - Sutter - Granlund
_____ - Gaunce - Dorsett

Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Stecher

Lehtonen/Markstrom

Add one of this year's consensus top 4 forwards to the books, NHL ready or not, and possibly 2 of them.

That's a team that is rebuilding in the right direction.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Mëds wrote: If Elmer doesn't pay the price, and the only pieces off the table should be Demko, Bo, Juolevi, and Boeser, right now, then Elmer and Co should go.
I think the only other thing off the table would be this years #1 as well. He should do whatever he can to have 2 picks in the top 5.

DAL - Edler, prospect of their choice not listed above, 2017 2nd
VAN - 2017 1st, Niemi or Lehtonen
Yeah, I figured this year's #1 went without saying.

If he were to pull off a move like this, my only fear is that he would be dumb enough to parcel the 3rd + 5th together to move into 1st. That would be stupid.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Mëds wrote:Hence the entire reason why Elmer is an idiot if he has no plans to try and move Edler to Dallas for the 3rd overall. Seriously, take back one of Niemi or Lehtonen as cap dump in return, they both have 1 year left. That alone is a boon to the team that just signed Bishop. I suspect Edler would waive to head to Big D where his old buddy Hamhuis is currently playing, and his recent WC gold medal partner is a fixture. Toss in our 2nd and something. Just make it work.
I can see both sides, and wouldn't mind an Edler trade in general, but if you come from the school that the Oilers were so bad because they didn't surround their kids with vets I get not being in a rush to move him.

That said, I don't think I move him for #3OV this draft. There is always hype about all the prospects for fans at this time of year - but when Bob McKenzie says Dallas might not be able to get a top-4 Dman for the 3rd pick that tells you what GMs around the league think of this draft. The odds are not great that the 3rd overall is ever as good as Edler.

If all it takes is the 5th and taking a year of Niemi or Lehtonen to move up and take your first choice from the next tier, then maybe you go for that - if you don't think Miller is coming back. (Loved what I saw with Miller and Goldy last year - would be happy to have Miller back.)

Mëds wrote:3rd overall gets us one of Patrick, Hirschier, Vilardi, or Middelstad. 5th needs a miracle to get us one of them.
I'd be surprised (and not unpleasantly) if Dallas and Colorado both pass on Miro Heiskanen.

Mëds wrote:3rd and 5th get us 1 of them, and hoping that with said miracle we can snag 2 of them.

If Elmer doesn't pay the price, and the only pieces off the table should be Demko, Bo, Juolevi, and Boeser, right now, then Elmer and Co should go.
Overpaying to move up in a crappy draft would get me on the fire Benning train. We shouldn't be moving multiple assets to pick up picks in a weak draft. Moving Tanev or packaging Dahlen, Goldobin, etc with other pieces shouldn't be considered for a crapshoot. (Tanev in a deal for Drouin or S. Reinhart - sure.)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rede wrote:
Mëds wrote:3rd and 5th get us 1 of them, and hoping that with said miracle we can snag 2 of them.

Overpaying to move up in a crappy draft would get me on the fire Benning train. We shouldn't be moving multiple assets to pick up picks in a weak draft. Moving Tanev or packaging Dahlen, Goldobin, etc with other pieces shouldn't be considered for a crapshoot. (Tanev in a deal for Drouin or S. Reinhart - sure.)
It's not moving up, it's acquiring an EXTRA pick.

Edler is NOT part of the future of this franchise.....at least not in any way other than being used to acquire a potentially significant piece of that future.

Who cares how good Edler is right now, or if a player drafted in the pick that he was shipped out to obtain ever pans out to be as good. Edler is the type of player that a savvy GM uses to improve for the future.

I have NEVER seen leadership from Edler, there is a reason we haven't seen him with an "A" on his sweater despite his prominent position on our top pairing. I have never seen Edler talking to a young kid on the bench either. He's a talented defenseman who plays an inconsistent game and belongs on a team where he supports the leaders in pursuit of a Cup.....that's not Vancouver anymore. Other vets would be better used to mentor youth.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:
Rede wrote:

Edler is NOT part of the future of this franchise.....at least not in any way other than being used to acquire a potentially significant piece of that future.

Who cares how good Edler is right now, or if a player drafted in the pick that he was shipped out to obtain ever pans out to be as good. Edler is the type of player that a savvy GM uses to improve for the future.

I have NEVER seen leadership from Edler, there is a reason we haven't seen him with an "A" on his sweater despite his prominent position on our top pairing. I have never seen Edler talking to a young kid on the bench either. He's a talented defenseman who plays an inconsistent game and belongs on a team where he supports the leaders in pursuit of a Cup.....that's not Vancouver anymore. Other vets would be better used to mentor youth.
Good points all around...even some objectivity about your nemesis Edler lol.

I fear that old Jimmy doesn't share the vision of many here and around the hockey world. He apparently sees the team as being better than anyone else does (save, of course "Du-Doc'n-Topper"...hey that has a ring to it lol)...in which case it'll be business as usual, we take the best player available and ice much the same garbage.

The only hope we really have is that Du-Doc'n-Topper are correct and Jimmy is stealth genius who sounds dumb but really is so slick nobody knows what the fuck hes doing until it all comes together in the end like an A-team episode.

Fuck around...were doomed
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote:
Rede wrote:

I'm all for trading Edler as the next guy, but why not wait until next year's draft (who people are saying has better quality prospects) or for a more established prospect? This year's draft crop is dog-shit. As Rede points out, when McKenzie says a team might not be able to find a top-4 dman with the 3rd overall pick that tells you something. Why throw Edler away for dog-shit, when you can trade him a little further down the line for something better?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Lancer wrote:
I'm all for trading Edler as the next guy, but why not wait until next year's draft (who people are saying has better quality prospects) or for a more established prospect? This year's draft crop is dog-shit. As Rede points out, when McKenzie says a team might not be able to find a top-4 dman with the 3rd overall pick that tells you something. Why throw Edler away for dog-shit, when you can trade him a little further down the line for something better?
Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

Tough call, but I can't see Edler waiving unless he's going to a contender (not in the top 5-10) or sees a good opportunity somewhere (again, not likely top 5).

Fun to talk about, but I don't see any big moves coming.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:
Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

Tough call, but I can't see Edler waiving unless he's going to a contender (not in the top 5-10) or sees a good opportunity somewhere (again, not likely top 5).

Debbie Downer.....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Debbie Downer.....
In an alternate universe I'll say that if Benning doesn't move Edler before the draft for a top 3 pick, he should be canned! There's nothing to stop him from getting us Vilardi and Mittelstadt. Nothing. 1-2 years, we're back in the playoffs, Demko will lead us to the promised land!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote: Debbie Downer.....
In an alternate universe I'll say that if Benning doesn't move Edler before the draft for a top 3 pick, he should be canned! There's nothing to stop him from getting us Vilardi and Mittelstadt. Nothing. 1-2 years, we're back in the playoffs, Demko will lead us to the promised land!
That's the spirit Corn!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

This is what happened in 99 and why we were able to land the twins. The draft was seen as weak!

So the cost of top picks was much lower. Now the expansion draft is a bit of a curveball as well, how will that impact the market? More movement, less?

It could be the year to grab a couple high picks for relatively low return, we have the flexibility.

I've stated before that Hutton could be a huge chip right now, he's expansion draft exempt. Which increases his value! And I just don't see him as a huge piece of our puzzle.

If not Edler maybe dangle Hutton to snag another top pick this year!