The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:The future at forward is very good especially at centre - Horvat, Pettersen, Gaudette. The Wings look good as well - Boeser, Baertschi, Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovich. The future on Defence is the problem, nithing much outside of Juolevi. Tryamkin coming back sooner than later would help but no point in going there until that day, if there ever is that day. Tanev is just too injury prone, love the guy but if we could somehow package him to a win now team that has a good young D prospect in the system like Fabbro in Nashvilles system. With the bitch slapping the team is getting Im all in on keeping Gudbranson over Edler, Hutton and Tanev. Edler is done here, like Tanev see if we can off load him for a good young D prospect. Hutton is garbage not sure what you'd get for him. I'm starting to smell what Topper is cooking regarding Stecher. So yeah, the defence is in awful shape and Demko can't come soon enough. Markstrom is starting to remind me of Cloutier.
I really enjoyed reading a Dude post I mostly agreed with, but there'd be little point commenting if I agreed entirely.

I agree the Canucks need more of what Gudbranson brings, but the defenceman position is too important to the function of the team to keep a marginal hockey player in that position for benefit of physical presence. In the current interpretation of the rules, net front battles are less of a thing, now, and the other elements of good defensive play are more important than ever. If you have to compromise hockey ability to get the physical element (and usually, you do), better to get it from a winger who can double as puck-retriever and forechecker-who-wears-down-the-defence. Even if Virtanen never blossoms into a scoring power forward, we can still hope that he brings value to the team by excelling in that role (fast enough to actually get in on the forecheck is an important element in which many other players otherwise suitable for the role are lacking). The Canucks just need 3 more like that.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:The future at forward is very good especially at centre - Horvat, Pettersen, Gaudette. The Wings look good as well - Boeser, Baertschi, Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovich. The future on Defence is the problem, nithing much outside of Juolevi. Tryamkin coming back sooner than later would help but no point in going there until that day, if there ever is that day. Tanev is just too injury prone, love the guy but if we could somehow package him to a win now team that has a good young D prospect in the system like Fabbro in Nashvilles system. With the bitch slapping the team is getting Im all in on keeping Gudbranson over Edler, Hutton and Tanev. Edler is done here, like Tanev see if we can off load him for a good young D prospect. Hutton is garbage not sure what you'd get for him. I'm starting to smell what Topper is cooking regarding Stecher. So yeah, the defence is in awful shape and Demko can't come soon enough. Markstrom is starting to remind me of Cloutier.
Its good to see you critique the team without even one mention of Gillis...

So everyone basically agrees the D is where we have an organizational need...meaning we will need to take from our strength to acquire what we need.

Who can we move? Its looking like Jake would be the chip other teams might value high enough to send us what we need while not having too negative of an impact on our emerging core.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I still have to bring up how much the new,(and heavily enforced), rules have changed the effectiveness of how the
majority of defense men have been taught to play the game.
I am hoping they back off a bit but at the same time having more mobile, faster skating defensive corps will be essential.
To me, that is a very big deal league wide.
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Good summary - it's almost like we stumbled into an Oiler's style rebuild... but at least we have ju in the wings to provide some hope on D. I'd hate to see the see the D with out Edler and Tanev, but if teams are ready to fill some some spots at the TDD, we need to move them for what should be D prospect(s) coming back.

The rest of the D look like placeholders at this point.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Good summary - it's almost like we stumbled into an Oiler's style rebuild... but at least we have Juolevi in the wings to provide some hope on D. I'd hate to see the see the D with out Edler and Tanev, but if teams are ready to fill some some spots at the TDD, we need to move them for what should be D prospect(s) coming back.

The rest of the D look like placeholders at this point.
An Oiler's style of rebuild is only a bad thing if the GM's are too short-sighted or pissing their pants scared, to pull the trigger on a trade that sends away a trade that means parting with some good young forwards in order to acquire some real talent on the blueline. Edmonton could have landed much more than Larsson in exchange for Hall, and much more than Strome for Eberle, had they pulled the trigger on those deals a few years ago. Chances are they could have had Larsson AND a 2nd line winger for Hall, which would have offset the loss of Eberle.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

They could have drafted Larrsen instead of the loose for Nuge
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Great post Dude.

I'm not as worried as most here about the dee situation moving forward.

It's hard to project the future as it's fluid, but perhaps something like this in 2 years:

Juolevi - Tryamkin
Pouliot/Brisebois - Tanev
Pouliot/Brisebois - Gudbranson
Cederholm/Sautner - Chatfield

I'm slightly optimistic so I see Tanev getting healthier and remaining an effective player for 7+ more years.

I also see Tryamkin returning and developing into a solid top-pairing guy

... Juolevi developing into a top-pairing dee, one of Pouliot/Brisebois into a top 4.

Gudbranson can improve, who knows about Chatfield.

I used to be on board the Trade Tanev Train... but no longer Dude, he's still underrated in my books.

I'm good with trading any/all of our present dee not listed above.

And no doubt the virtuoso will draft some more gems moving forward...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

- Brock and Bo - superstars already

- Virtanen - a bull with speed, tracking well. A slow developing Power forward, typical pace

- Pettersen - down right nasty elite level skill

- Gaudette - big motor, big chip, big compete

- Lockwood - little bull with speed

- Dahlen - deadly around the net

- Gaunce - bottom 6 stud, man has he improved

- Juolevi - Salo saying he's really improved upon where he's needed to

- Tryamkin - Chara with speed

- Demko - the future

- sprinkle in - Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Brisebios and the young Baertschi and Granlund, Stecher etc

Another good draft in 2018 and the Nucks are looking good for thd future
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:- Brock and Bo - superstars already

- Virtanen - a bull with speed, tracking well. A slow developing Power forward, typical pace

- Demko - the future

- sprinkle in - Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Brisebios and the young Baertschi and Granlund, Stecher etc

One or two more potential top four defensemen would definitely help.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

- Demko - the future

Your (yes Doc) not going to get me excited.

I refuse to belief (yes Doc) than anything good will happen to the Nucks.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote:
Great post Dude.

I'm not as worried as most here about the dee situation moving forward.

It's hard to project the future as it's fluid, but perhaps something like this in 2 years:

Juolevi - Tryamkin
Pouliot/Brisebois - Tanev
Pouliot/Brisebois - Gudbranson
Cederholm/Sautner - Chatfield

I'm slightly optimistic so I see Tanev getting healthier and remaining an effective player for 7+ more years.

I also see Tryamkin returning and developing into a solid top-pairing guy

... Juolevi developing into a top-pairing dee, one of Pouliot/Brisebois into a top 4.

Gudbranson can improve, who knows about Chatfield.

I used to be on board the Trade Tanev Train... but no longer Dude, he's still underrated in my books.

I'm good with trading any/all of our present dee not listed above.

And no doubt the virtuoso will draft some more gems moving forward...
Doc you do realize that we only have 1 blueliner under contract through the 2020 season... which is 2 years away, Doesn't leave u MUCH room to get it wrong and more importantly leaves u less room for margin in identifying a core group of 7 that u have to go forward with...

All I'm gonna say is you better get it right U cannot give out deals on the back end to guys who aren't deserving like he did with some forwards here...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:

- Demko - the future

Your (yes Doc) not going to get me excited.

They have pills for that, Ruffles
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Your (yes Doc) not going to get me excited.

You'RE an idiot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:

You'RE an idiot.
And you a dumb red neck hick who smokes too much, does too much drugs, drinks too much and an all around just 1 dumb mother fucker but that doesn’t stop you from coming on here day after day and showing it.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Reefer2 wrote:
Topper wrote:

You'RE an idiot.
And you a dumb red neck hick who smokes too much, does too much drugs, drinks too much and an all around just 1 dumb mother fucker but that doesn’t stop you from coming on here day after day and showing it.
Good to see that the holiday season and it's magical powers are upon us again! :D

Let's tone it down for a few days, enjoy the World Jrs, watch Brock hit 20 before Christmas and start eyeing draft picks in the new year.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."