The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:16 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:23 am
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm 2 points or 2 links?
2 Towers?
2 fingers?
:lol:
Would he even feel it??
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Taking this back to last season about the Canucks goaltending:
http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 79#p299979
Hank wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 pm If we had any kind of consistent goaltending this year... sigh.

I'm done with Markstrom and Nilsson. Next.
Time to look for the next Luongo type trade?
Good to see our D and goaltending already in mid season form.

http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 62#p314162
& tonight vs the Flames.
BlakeP:
Green didn't like the defence at all tonight. Stecher with under 12 mins of ice. Hope Hutton doesn't come in at his expense
Seems our forwards are doing above average and can improve once the "1st line" of Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser get going.

But the defense and notably the goaltending is going to be the teams weakness, Marky and Nilsson have a long track record of being wildly inconsistent going way back.

One of the best NHL goalies out there must/should have contract problems soon hopefully!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sigh.... yes Markstrom would like a couple goals back but the D zone coverage was appalling. It is far more of a concern than the goaltending.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

JB is a bit of a head-scratcher sometimes. Yes the Pettersen pick was brilliant, while going with Juolevi over Tkachuk was not. Going with the same last place defence corp the following year without making changes? Ugh. It'll be their achilles heel this year and thats on JB.
cc oldtimer
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

nuckster wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 am JB is a bit of a head-scratcher sometimes. Yes the Pettersen pick was brilliant, while going with Juolevi over Tkachuk was not. Going with the same last place defence corp the following year without making changes? Ugh. It'll be their achilles heel this year and thats on JB.
Yeah, picking Juolevi over Tkachuk was just plain stupid. I like a lot of what Jim has done but that was just dumb ass stupid. That being said, Juolevi is still going to be a player, top 4 defenceman, one of those steady eddy types, does everything well but doesn't Quinn Hughes wow you. He will be a stabilizing force on the back end. Still doesn't excuse taking him over Tkachuk, the rest (Keller, McAvay, Sergachyev) I can excuse, but not that one. Again, Juolevi is going to be a good defencmen. The one that hurts more IMO, is Virtanen over Nylander. I'm still not sold that Virtanen will be nothing more than a streaky Raffi Torres type. At least Juolevi has that potential to be a Vlasic (Sharks) type

Are the Canucks the only team that has flubbed on Top 5 or 6 1st round draft picks? No, and we won't be the last. Dylan Strome in Arizona. The Islanders flubbed on 3 in 4 drafts - Strome, Reinhart and Dal Colle. You could easily add Neidereitter and Bailey in there whom both have managed to eke out decent careers, but top 10 draft pick careers? I don't think so. Oilers - Yakupov. Is RNH stellar for a 1st overall? No. Same goes for Puljiarvi and Nurse. The Flames - Sam Bennett is not top 10 worthy

Benning has hit on 3 of his 6 - 1st round picks. Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes. He's batting .500 and has done well else where in the draft - Lockwood, Di Pietro, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Demko, Tryamkin, Madden, Woo etc., And getting Goldobin and Dahlen back for vets has helped. Leipsic and Motte seem serviceable, made decent trades in Baerschi and Granlund. But the misses on Virtanen and Juolevi has slowed the rebuild considerably. But that shit happens in the draft. Ask Gillis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Apparently Olaf has been pretty good. Was never a fan of the pick but if he can become a decent 2nd pairing guy, take it for what it’s worth. This team needs defencemen in the worst way. Hopefully by Christmas he can shove one of Hutton, Pouliott or Del Zotto out the door.

Pacific Blue I don’t think anyone expects a GM to bat 1000 in the first round. Only Winnipeg has done that in recent memory. Benning is still getting players that could be useful which is a hell of a lot more than Eye Bags did at the draft table. What’s hurting is the picks that were given away but we’ve beaten that horse to death.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Fuck me.

Dude and Blob discussing this topic like calm, rational, reasonable people with valid and well-thought out points and opinions.

Must have hung out on Hastings & Main together, downed a pint of Lysol, sang Kumbaya, then stumbled to Kent's Kitchen begging for change or someone to buy them some takeout.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:55 am Fuck me.

Dude and Blob discussing this topic like calm, rational, reasonable people with valid and well-thought out points and opinions.

Must have hung out on Hastings & Main together, downed a pint of Lysol, sang Kumbaya, then stumbled to Kent's Kitchen begging for change or someone to buy them some takeout.
We had a couple pints at the American then the dude left with a couple Dominicans in a tinted out 1979 GMC van. I had to make my own way back to Pocompton via sky train and a cab ride with Jagpal
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob ran out of cash early in the evening as usual, headed off to sell sexual favours at Oppenheimer park so he could keep the train a rollin'.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Very cool.
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

nuckster wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 am JB is a bit of a head-scratcher sometimes. Yes the Pettersen pick was brilliant, while going with Juolevi over Tkachuk was not. Going with the same last place defence corp the following year without making changes? Ugh. It'll be their achilles heel this year and thats on JB.
First off, I don't get the love in with Tkachuk and think he is a much easier type of player to find than a top 2/4 d man is...

Enjoyed a great day of sports yesterday going back and forth between the Yankees and Red Sox and the Whitecaps and the BC Lions and the NHL while at the same time watching the kids in Michigan and Utica on my Ipad...

As bad as the Canucks dmen look on the powerplay, you have to be excited watching Jolevi and Hughes play, especially on the power play...Jolevi in particular made some very subtle moves walking the line which made you think he has some of Pettersson's hockey IQ...

Next year Tryamkin is another year closer to having to decide if he comes back to a much different team than the one he left...

What does the team get in return for trading either Tanev or Edler or both?

I don't focus on what's in Vancouver today, I smile thinking about who will be in Vancouver over the next couple of years...

And suddenly Vancouver becomes a good option for high end free agents, especially given their cap situation..

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 pm
First off, I don't get the love in with Tkachuk and think he is a much easier type of player to find than a top 2/4 d man is...

Enjoyed a great day of sports yesterday going back and forth between the Yankees and Red Sox and the Whitecaps and the BC Lions and the NHL while at the same time watching the kids in Michigan and Utica on my Ipad...

As bad as the Canucks dmen look on the powerplay, you have to be excited watching Jolevi and Hughes play, especially on the power play...Jolevi in particular made some very subtle moves walking the line which made you think he has some of Pettersson's hockey IQ...

Next year Tryamkin is another year closer to having to decide if he comes back to a much different team than the one he left...

I don't focus on what's in Vancouver today, I smile thinking about who will be in Vancouver over the next couple of years...

And suddenly Vancouver becomes a good option for high end free agents, especially given their cap situation..

Take care...
I like Juolevi's potential, he's going to be an NHL player and a good one. I just think that where the Canucks were in the rebuild at that draft, a true mess at the time, Tkachuk would have been the better option in rekindling the fan base. The drag wouldn't have been such the drag we've gone through but that being said, I believe that when Juolevi has evolved into a full time NHL'er we will be quite happy to have him back there. The impatient fan base and media can be quite draining when it comes to their impatience with Juolevi.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm
I like Juolevi's potential, he's going to be an NHL player and a good one. I just think that where the Canucks were in the rebuild at that draft, a true mess at the time, Tkachuk would have been the better option in rekindling the fan base. The drag wouldn't have been such the drag we've gone through but that being said, I believe that when Juolevi has evolved into a full time NHL'er we will be quite happy to have him back there. The impatient fan base and media can be quite draining when it comes to their impatience with Juolevi.
I sure hope so, what do you see in him to think he will become an NHL D man?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm
rikster wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Take care...
OK, Ya just had to put in that last sentence. :(
Once again, I think he can slot right the F--k into this defense on this Canuck team right now. Pretty sure he's weaned!
Doubt he breaks or gets one of them thar complexes or head things stuff.

Seriously, I think he would be ahead getting to know his team mates at the NHL level. Why not adjust now?
As I said before, that adjustment will have to happen now or next year or the year after till he's 30.
I am not impatient !!! Dammit !!!!!
"evolution"