The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cornuck »

Lancer wrote:
I'm all for trading Edler as the next guy, but why not wait until next year's draft (who people are saying has better quality prospects) or for a more established prospect? This year's draft crop is dog-shit. As Rede points out, when McKenzie says a team might not be able to find a top-4 dman with the 3rd overall pick that tells you something. Why throw Edler away for dog-shit, when you can trade him a little further down the line for something better?
Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

Tough call, but I can't see Edler waiving unless he's going to a contender (not in the top 5-10) or sees a good opportunity somewhere (again, not likely top 5).

Fun to talk about, but I don't see any big moves coming.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:
I'm all for trading Edler as the next guy, but why not wait until next year's draft (who people are saying has better quality prospects) or for a more established prospect? This year's draft crop is dog-shit. As Rede points out, when McKenzie says a team might not be able to find a top-4 dman with the 3rd overall pick that tells you something. Why throw Edler away for dog-shit, when you can trade him a little further down the line for something better?
Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

Tough call, but I can't see Edler waiving unless he's going to a contender (not in the top 5-10) or sees a good opportunity somewhere (again, not likely top 5).

Debbie Downer.....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Debbie Downer.....
In an alternate universe I'll say that if Benning doesn't move Edler before the draft for a top 3 pick, he should be canned! There's nothing to stop him from getting us Vilardi and Mittelstadt. Nothing. 1-2 years, we're back in the playoffs, Demko will lead us to the promised land!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Mëds wrote: Debbie Downer.....
In an alternate universe I'll say that if Benning doesn't move Edler before the draft for a top 3 pick, he should be canned! There's nothing to stop him from getting us Vilardi and Mittelstadt. Nothing. 1-2 years, we're back in the playoffs, Demko will lead us to the promised land!
That's the spirit Corn!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote: Let's say Edler (+ whatever) might get us a top 5 pick in this draft. Next year if there's higher talent in the draft, then I don't see us getting even a top 10 pick as GMs would rather take the pick. Plus Edler's a year older.

This is what happened in 99 and why we were able to land the twins. The draft was seen as weak!

So the cost of top picks was much lower. Now the expansion draft is a bit of a curveball as well, how will that impact the market? More movement, less?

It could be the year to grab a couple high picks for relatively low return, we have the flexibility.

I've stated before that Hutton could be a huge chip right now, he's expansion draft exempt. Which increases his value! And I just don't see him as a huge piece of our puzzle.

If not Edler maybe dangle Hutton to snag another top pick this year!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote:
LOL. Corn, you are such an accommodating guy. :)

Ever thought of politics? ;)
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Imagine the Canucks after the Tortorella year (i.e. missing the playoffs to some people's surprise) - winning the lottery, and trading the highest pick in the past 18 years for a 31 year old defenceman who, over the past 3 seasons, averaged 65 games, 23 points, and -5.

Edler is a rapidly diminishing asset, and will have nothing left in the tank by the time this team's competitive again. There is simply no way Dallas gives up the #3 for him. If Jim gets any return for him, he ought to take it. I've said all year the comparable trades would put his value at a high 2nd-rounder - and that's assuming he waives in such a way to give the Canucks some bargaining power.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I fear that old Jimmy doesn't share the vision of many here and around the hockey world. He apparently sees the team as being better than anyone else does (save, of course "Du-Doc'n-Topper"...hey that has a ring to it lol)...
:eh:

Jimmy and I see this team exactly as it is right now.

Jimmy and I are focused on 1-2 years from now (can you say rebuild?).

This is called "vision"... ironically enough.

Can't speak for Mr Topper but I challenge you to find a single Topper post that confirms what you say.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lol move over Skyo, Mëds wants to be the new Fantasy Trade King! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: I fear that old Jimmy doesn't share the vision of many here and around the hockey world. He apparently sees the team as being better than anyone else does (save, of course "Du-Doc'n-Topper"...hey that has a ring to it lol)...

Can't speak for Mr Topper but I challenge you to find a single Topper post that confirms what you say.
By annointing him a genius before he has accomplished anything whatsover the three of you have endorsed him with your reputations on so many occasions i don't even know where to begin.

At the same time, it seems the entire hockey universe has been perplexed by his trading of youth for veterans and adding of free agents when a typical rebuild was all but smacking Jimmy in the befuddled face.

Now in fairness to Jimmy and by proxy Du-Doc'n-Topper...his most recent moves have re-gained him credibility here and around the league but the fact remains that he hasn't followed the beaten path out of the woods and has chosen then overgrown blackberry crusted one that weaves around back of the park.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I know the wrath is coming...
Why not light up the board :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

By annointing him a genius before he has accomplished anything whatsover the three of you have endorsed him with your reputations on so many occasions i don't even know where to begin.

At the same time, it seems the entire hockey universe has been perplexed by his trading of youth for veterans and adding of free agents when a typical rebuild was all but smacking Jimmy in the befuddled face.

Now in fairness to Jimmy and by proxy Du-Doc'n-Topper...his most recent moves have re-gained him credibility here and around the league but the fact remains that he hasn't followed the beaten path out of the woods and has chosen then overgrown blackberry crusted one that weaves around back of the park.
All geniuses... or genii... march to the beat of a different drummer.

I am Dr Watson to Jimmy's Sherlock Holmes... if you will.

Not to be a snob, but I don't expect the riffraff to understand.

EVERY SINGLE MOVE Jimmy has made since He got here seems brilliant in retrospect.

(or at least logical when put in perspective)

I believe that you Danny, leapt off the Benning bandwagon after just 5 weeks

... with His signing of Ryan Miller (rather than run with your boy, disgraced goaltender Eddie Lack).

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... =2&t=10422

In fact, you shat yourself at that particular point and have been stinking up the joint ever since!

R E P E N T
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:EVERY SINGLE MOVE Jimmy has made since He got here seems brilliant in retrospect.

I think most posters here are willing to concede that every GM is going to make a couple of mistakes, but....a 2nd round draft pick for Linden Vey seems brilliant in retrospect ? Maybe we're working with different definitions of genius.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: In fact, you shat yourself at that particular point and have been stinking up the joint ever since!
Not only have i shat myself ever since...so has the team! Does that make me a visionary? :lol:

I gladly concede i was wrong about Ryan Miller though...he has been much much better than I thought. Unfortunately, if we had gone with giggles and Marky i would guess the rebuild would be much farther along
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Strangelove wrote:EVERY SINGLE MOVE Jimmy has made since He got here seems brilliant in retrospect.

I think most posters here are willing to concede that every GM is going to make a couple of mistakes, but....a 2nd round draft pick for Linden Vey seems brilliant in retrospect ? Maybe we're working with different definitions of genius.
This is where they lose all credibility. There's zero middle ground and zero admission of mistakes even though there have been several. It's not a rabbit hole they jumped into its more like a fucking crater.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”