The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by rats19 »

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draf ... i-Tolvanen
Mock draft has us picking 7 th and this guy^^^
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

rats19 wrote:http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draf ... i-Tolvanen
Mock draft has us picking 7 th and this guy^^^
The scouting write-ups sound pretty sweet and we definitely need a pure goal-scorer at this point.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hey we're tied for 4th, and only one point out of 3rd; perhaps SOME consolation after a dismal season?! :?
cc oldtimer
CrzyCanuck
CC Veteran

Post by CrzyCanuck »

nuckster wrote:Hey we're tied for 4th, and only one point out of 3rd; perhaps SOME consolation after a dismal season?! :?

Maybe a 3rd to 5th drama again
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

CrzyCanuck wrote:
nuckster wrote:Hey we're tied for 4th, and only one point out of 3rd; perhaps SOME consolation after a dismal season?! :?

What a ball-buster that would be. Nope, I'm inclined to agree with what some others have stated: now that there's no generational talent on the table, we may just actually have a Canuck style win in the lottery - 2nd over-all. Were we to actually get first, I think I would shit my pants!
cc oldtimer
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nuckster wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote:

What a ball-buster that would be. Nope, I'm inclined to agree with what some others have stated: now that there's no generational talent on the table, we may just actually have a Canuck style win in the lottery - 2nd over-all. Were we to actually get first, I think I would shit my pants!
lol nailed it nuckster, anyone can win the lotto, it's just like real life, the more you play the better the odds! You get a feeling with all these chances it's the canucks time to win it, and yes of course the year vancity wins it, it's a year with no generational players aha, but I'd be fucking ecstatic with that, all the canucks haters would laugh at our excitement but fuck em!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: But boy on boy would that ever make the Eriksson signing stink more than it already does.
Whadya talk Wids!?? Doc says the Eriksson signing was fine! :shock:
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Which of these do we consider a good offseason for management?

A. Try to compete. Resign Miller, sign three mid-level proven NHL FA forwards to short contracts and put Boeser Goldilocks and any other young player in Utica to cook.

B. Develop own prospects at NHL level, but don't really compete. Don't resign Miller. Let Markstrom be the starter to see what they have. Sign a cheap back-up to a one year deal who will be replaced by Demko the following year. Don't sign any FA forwards and keep rolling kids in the line-up, Boeser, Boucher, Goldilocks, Jake, Chaput, Gaunce, perhaps their top draft pick.

Can you imagine the grief Benning would have to live through if he choose B with the " fans" in Vancouver. Even if B is what most critics say they want, in reality you wouldn't hear the end of their bitching about another poor record.

If I were GM, I'd definitely go A (retool) vrs B (rebuild). That way rookies can cook and the team has a chance of competing. Rookies can make the team when they are well done.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Not sure if it is time to throw the kids to the wolves Besser, Au and co are ain't ready. They'll continue to play sheltered minutes.

Bo joins the vet crew of twins/Sutter/Dorsett up front, Edler Tanev on D. Granlund and Bearchia stay on the fringe, serviceable placeholders, could stick around, could be bait.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

All indications point to option A above. Benning said they will not be in the hunt for a top tier FA but perhaps a couple lower tiered FA to fill holes.

Also looking hard at moving 1-2 Dmen in a package for experienced top six help, young experienced that is. Like 24-26 age range.

Maybe he will take a run at Mat from Colorado. Not who I would choose but I don't think Taylor Hall is available :mrgreen:

So if all goes according to his wish list, one of our "d" out for top six. Another traded for pick(s). And sign 1-2 bottom six experienced wingers?

This forces Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen to earn a job with the Canucks.

If we draft top two I can see them rushing that pick into the NHL plus they want to sign Dahlen and get him to Utica.

I think they stay the course. Make the kids earn it, try to compete nightly, get into the playoffs and go from there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote:Which of these do we consider a good offseason for management?

A. Try to compete. Resign Miller, sign three mid-level proven NHL FA forwards to short contracts and put Boeser Goldilocks and any other young player in Utica to cook.

B. Develop own prospects at NHL level, but don't really compete. Don't resign Miller. Let Markstrom be the starter to see what they have. Sign a cheap back-up to a one year deal who will be replaced by Demko the following year. Don't sign any FA forwards and keep rolling kids in the line-up, Boeser, Boucher, Goldilocks, Jake, Chaput, Gaunce, perhaps their top draft pick.

Can you imagine the grief Benning would have to live through if he choose B with the " fans" in Vancouver. Even if B is what most critics say they want, in reality you wouldn't hear the end of their bitching about another poor record.

If I were GM, I'd definitely go A (retool) vrs B (rebuild). That way rookies can cook and the team has a chance of competing. Rookies can make the team when they are well done.
B is closer, except for the don't sign Miller part. Mid level FAs? Yuck.
I can't understand why so many want to bury, (ruin!), our best young talent in freakin Utica.
They don't develop there, not really. If anythink, they take a step backwards.
Look at what other teams are doing.
This town is too fearful because of Jake. Well he's a one-off and CAN'T be used as an example, why?
Cause he has a screw loose.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Don't worry micky. The kids will play.

Barring trades all of Hutton, Trymankin and Stetcher will be on the team.

Up front Baertschi, Granlund, Horvat will be on the team. Good chance Boeser makes it. Goldobin will have to earn it but with a new coach he has a better chance. Same with Virtanen.

We have room for a couple of lower tiered bottom six. Skille will be gone. Megna hopefully will be lost to expansion or in Utica. Chaput should be in Utica. Gaunce who knows, maybe Vegas takes him. Rodin who knows. Point is we have room and maybe we sign a vet or two that can be flipped at the TDD if we are out of the playoffs for some late round picks.

The good news everyone should key in on is that we are not looking to add top tier FA for big cap or LTC. Just perhaps some veteran tinkering.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cherry Picker wrote:Which of these do we consider a good offseason for management?

Why does A indicate a retool? Isn't that the same strategy Toronto used? Sign guys like Matthias and Parrenteau to keep kids like Nylander, Brown, Shoshnikov etc. with the Marlies? Re-upping Miller does nothing to make the team more competitive. As with the "trade the Sedins so we can really tank" argument, we're 29th with him...

I wouldn't be opposed to some camp battles, so keeping guys like Chaput/Megna/Gaunce, or adding 1-year UFA's like an Upshall or a Stallberg wouldn't be terrible. Just don't offer anyone term, if the kids can earn a spot, sweet, if not, it's not like we're pushing for a playoff spot anyways.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote:

This is the biggest pile of steaming , greasy bullshit that gets perpetuated by scumbags like Ian MacIntyre and parroted by knob gobbling fans. Fans can't handle a rebuild yada yada yada..... the fans want to see a plan and see some growth not the current fiasco of throwing chunks of shit against the wall and hoping something sticks
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

With all the empty seats and lack of people interested at the bar the fans already don't care.

If the team wants fans back give them a reason and right now it was not WD, it is not Edler or the Sedins.