The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cornuck »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am
Cornuck wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am Who do you replace them [Sedins] with (or fill their spots with)?
Short term UFA, 2 year deals, like a Vanek deal.
It's a fine move if we get Vanek like players / results, and not another LE. Do we risk getting 1-2 duds or stick with a known quantity?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:44 am I have a feeling the Dude got lit right up last night. Like pissing his pants, falling down, incoherent yelling, puking, bright red eyes drunk.
Speak for yourself Otis. I imagine Bubbles followed his Friday routine, piss it up all night long at the Gilnetter with copius amounts of Russells beer by the pitcher, cheeseburger and fries for dinner, and then did his usual stumble drunk, mumble talk walk home along Kingsway only to end up passed out the rest of the night at the railroad tracks before lougheed
Lol Weibo Ludwig gettin after it. What’s on the menu tonight ? I’m thinking Andina beer, chilli,nice salad and finish it off with some vodka/oj/7up. First off my kid has a game in North Van. Hey Dud is Fen Burdett Stadium still around ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:09 am
Cornuck wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 pm Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Who do you replace them with?
Horvat.

Look at the ice time.. Horvat has already replaced them. Twins are having a decent final year as 37 year olds on an expiring long term contract. They stepped up nicely when everyone was hurt, but the lack of organizational talent still meant we couldn't win games.

But in the limited role they had when everyone was healthy, they were fine.

Why replace them with unknowns in the locker room when you can resign them to fair (third line, 38 year olds players) contracts. Low base salary with incentives.

Until the team is deep enough to handle losing 3 forwards to injury and not having to call up Pylons like Chaput and Gaunce in the lineup for any reason, keep them.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 pm Sedins retire would be the breathe of fresh air this franchise needs.
Horvat.

Look at the ice time.. Horvat has already replaced them. Twins are having a decent final year as 37 year olds on an expiring long term contract. They stepped up nicely when everyone was hurt, but the lack of organizational talent still meant we couldn't win games.

But in the limited role they had when everyone was healthy, they were fine.

Why replace them with unknowns in the locker room when you can resign them to fair (third line, 38 year olds players) contracts. Low base salary with incentives.

Until the team is deep enough to handle losing 3 forwards to injury and not having to call up Pylons like Chaput and Gaunce in the lineup for any reason, keep them.
Agreed Mad, but I hope to see Green using different players on the 2nd unit PP and in OT.

Just give them (not sure who them are anymore) a chance. Maybe we do not have a "them"?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Horvat.
A year late.

365 bucks short? That isn't a racist comment.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

1) Team probably trades Hutton, Nilsson and one of Baertschi/Granlund/Goldy/before next season starts.

2) Tanev due to injuries won't get enough back, so they likely keep him.
Even though I've been trying to sell high on Tanev since 2015 to no avail - viewtopic.php?p=223878#p223878 :mrgreen:

3) Sedins will retire to make way for the bunch of young unknowns who could use some roster space.

4) Edler will stay thanks to family/friends/kids in Vancouver till UFA then he can plan his next move, or he even could take a hometown discount to be more of a depth dman guy to help the next generation of Canucks succeed.

5) Sutter/Eriksson/Gagner/MDZ likely stay put.

6) Hence we won't see any blockbuster moves anytime soon, besides a minor hockey deal of Hutton, Nilsson and a winger for whatever.

7) Probably re-sign Archie, a Green fave and July 1st they probably try to sign Kane to a bit of hometown discount, risk it/roll of the dice move.

8) The good news is we probably get to see Pettersson, Gaudette and Juolevi make the team and maybe even Demko as a backup to Marky.

9) the draft maybe interesting to see what happens, & the team needs some mactavish draft lotto luck ya'll..
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

3/ Sedins are for sure coming back
4/ Edler will still be a top 3 D man with or without Tanev here. Depth d man lol !!!!!!

Awesome, keep the same slugs that have stunk for the better part of five years. No need to change it up. Get the band back together.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If Sedins retire, mark my words Edler will decide to move on, saying: Okay family, time for a change, and he'll waive to one or two teams of his families choosing.

Plus Edler's improved play this year will help return a decent haul of picks and prospects, I'd like to keep the rock on defense Edler, but like everyone wants - if you want a nice haul of draft picks, trading a stable top 4 dman will get you that, won't be as killer as the Ryan McDonagh deal, but it's the right move to make if you want a good rebuild.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The next 1 to 2 years will see the replacement of place holders with hopefully a new winning core. Here are the official CP odds of each player playing for the Canucks in October 2018 and in October 2019 plus comment. Survey results are 67% accurate 13 times out of 20.

Name, Oct 2018%, Oct 2019%, Comment

Bo Horvat 95% 95% - Future Captain - Part of next core.
Brock Boeser 95% 95% - Future Alternate Captain - Part of next core.
Elias Petterson 85% 95% - Part of next core.
Adam Gaudette 85% 95% - Part of next core.
Brandon Sutter 95% 85% - Veteran checking line leadership.
Chris Tanev 95% 85% - Veteran leader on D, trade talk is all BS.
First Pick 2018 Draft 60% 85% - Should be part of next core.
Eric Gudbranson 80% 80% - Injuries increase odds he’ll miss games.
Alex Edler 95% 75% - NTC and young Swedes joining team means he’ll likely be around.
Jake Virtanen 95% 75% - Needs to add consistency to join next core.
Thatcher Demko 50% 75% - Grooming into future starter.
Olli Juolevi 50% 75% - Should challenge for a job next season.
Jonathan Dahlen 35% 75% - Likely to start in Utica and work into top six core player.
Troy Stecher 80% 70% - Points needed offensively to keep his role.
Jakub Markstrom 85% 65% - Starter role is his to lose, which might happen soon.
Sven Baertschi 75% 65% - LW is a team weakness. Is he an important support player or important trade bait?
Brendan Leipsic 95% 60% - Defense and turnovers dictate if he stays long term.
Brendan Gaunce 75% 60% - Good checker needs some offence to stick around.
Loui Eriksson 70% 60% - Hard contract to move, decent defensively.
Darren Archibald 70% 60% - Team needs more grit with youth coming in, so he is most likely back.
Cole Lind 35% 60% - Perhaps a call-up from Utica later next season.
Nikita Tryamkin 10% 50% - Please come back.
Ben Hutton 50% 45% - Needs to improve in all areas.
Sam Gagner 55% 40% - Trade bait once kids arrive.
Derrick Pouliot 45% 45% - Play in own end must improve.
Markus Granlund 45% 40% - Not much scoring or grit means he’s replaceable.
Nicholas Goldobin 40% 40% - Not enough offence to overcome pathetic defense and lack of grit.
Tyler Motte 35% 35% - Young checker will spend time in Utica to see if he improves.
Michael Del Zotto 80% 30% - Definition of place holder.
Johan Gadjovich 30% 30% - Biggest boom or bust needs to improve skating.
Evander Kane 30% 30% - Fills Benning’s need.
Ryan Reeves 30% 30% - Fills real need.
Alex Biega 30% 30% - Utica up and down injury replacement.
Daniel Sedin 50% 25% - HHOF career coming to a close.
Henrik Sedin 50% 25% - HHOF career coming to a close.
Anders Nilsson 50% 20% - Thatcher is after his job.
Nick Dowd 20% 10% - Only injuries could keep him on the big club.
Reid Boucher 20% 10% - Only injuries could keep him on the big club.
All others in system 5% 10% - Need time to develop.
Jussi Jokinen 1% 0% - And I’m not joke in.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm 3/ Sedins are for sure coming back
4/ Edler will still be a top 3 D man with or without Tanev here. Depth d man lol !!!!!!

Awesome, keep the same slugs that have stunk for the better part of five years. No need to change it up. Get the band back together.
They’ve shown amazing loyalty to a crappy core. So much ‘leadership’ and ‘culture’ it’s impossible to imagine the team has been worse than even Arizona and Colorado the past 3 seasons. Even worse when you realize we’ve spent to the cap every season and those other two haven’t been close. It’s hard to be this bad!

Trade vets, sign short term UFAs (1 year deals, not 3 or even 2), keep playing the kids. The future is now.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Whats the latest on the Sedins retirement? Last nights game was my first in a while and what i saw out of those 2 made the final twitches of Iginlas career look dazzling.

They cant seriously be consideing coming back when their wheels/skills/strength have erroded this bad...can they? Can they????
If you need air...call it in
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm 3/ Sedins are for sure coming back

They’ve shown amazing loyalty to a crappy core. So much ‘leadership’ and ‘culture’ it’s impossible to imagine the team has been worse than even Arizona and Colorado the past 3 seasons. Even worse when you realize we’ve spent to the cap every season and those other two haven’t been close. It’s hard to be this bad!

Trade vets, sign short term UFAs (1 year deals, not 3 or even 2), keep playing the kids. The future is now.
Hey DieHard, with all due respect you could do that but so what?

The key is the core, everything around it is secondary until they find at least a half dozen elite players to form the core...

What team you ice while waiting to find your core players is debatable but understanding that those core players are almost always found in the first two rounds of the draft and accepting that they need to nail the next two drafts they are at least 2 to 3 years away from being ready to compete again....

If they nail the next two drafts and the 3 or 4 blue chip prospects already in the system turn into core players to join Horvat and Boeser, then it will have taken 6 to 7 years to rebuild the team which means that Shane Malloy was spot on when he predicted a 7 to 10 year period....

The secondary players will look alot different in 3 years so I'm not getting worked up in the meantime over whose playing on the third and fourth lines or who the top 4 on the blue line are because they likely won't be here when the team is ready to compete...

It is why the term of the Gudbranson contract made sense to me....

Which is why I can't understand all of the angst over not trading players for late round picks was about...Core players aren't found in the later rounds...

Linden/Benning/Green believe that it's better the kids are in an environment with veteran character players beside them rather than filling the roster with all kids, I agree with them...

Once they have their core group, filling spots around them isn't nearly as difficult....Look at the Black Hawks or the Penguins...

Both have or had an elite group of core players and they have recycled players around them to fill out their rosters and comply with the salary cap...

The Black Hawks core group has gotten smaller and it is on the backside of their careers and the team is now fighting for a playoff spot...

It will be interesting to see how they handle the next few years and if they go down the road the Canucks did post 2011...Like the Canucks those core players have expensive, long term no movement contracts and they are all getting older....

Will they learn from the likes of the Canucks and look to unload say a Kane or Toews if it means that they can get a good return or do they keep moving secondary players in and out of the lineup trying to find majic in a bottle like the Canucks have done?

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah I forget who it was they had on 1040 some draft Guru a couple weeks back, he basically said that where the Canucks were with the current contracts on aging players, awful prospect pool and lack of young players on the team he thought in his mind at the time it was a 7 year rebuild from when Benning took over
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

rikster wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 am they are at least 2 to 3 years away from being ready to compete again....
Opinions on that vary.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am Yeah I forget who it was they had on 1040 some draft Guru a couple weeks back, he basically said that where the Canucks were with the current contracts on aging players, awful prospect pool and lack of young players on the team he thought in his mind at the time it was a 7 year rebuild from when Benning took over
I mentioned in another post that in the 10 years prior to Bennings arrival the team has drafted 2 elite players....Horvat and Schneider and because they traded Schneider to draft Horvat they have 1 elite player on their roster who was drafted in those 10 years...

When you look at it that way it's easy to understand where the 7 to 10 year predictions came from...

Take care...