The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

bckev
CC Veteran

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by bckev »

The more I read about Necas I agree he may be the sleeper in the draft. I read some where the Benning is very high on him.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote:Don't think Patrick will drop further than two.
From what I've read top four should be:
Hischier
Patrick
Heiskanen
Glass
Avs might not take Glass though because of their depth at centre and need for defense.
Fifth pick there is no consensus, I'd be happy if any of those four drop.
Seems like there are big holes in everyone's game after those four.
If that's the case, I'd be happy to take Vilardi at 5.
I think Vilardi is the most likely to bust of the top end prospects. It's a fast man's game now and he ain't that. He has good size. He is more of a scorer than a passer. With his lack of speed and limited play making ability, he is not likely to be a top six center in the NHL. He'll probably be a right winger after a few years of development if he turns out at all. I'd pass on Vilardi. He could turn out, but he has more downside risk than other better skaters. Definitely a boom or bust prospect.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

bckev wrote:The more I read about Necas I agree he may be the sleeper in the draft. I read some where the Benning is very high on him.

Necas at five wouldn't be bad. Kid can fly.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:The Dallas Stars have 3 decent young defencemen under the ages of 23 - Klingberg, Oleksiak and Honka, They badly need that centre behind Seguin, the replacement for old man Spezza - 34 in June. They are taking one of Mittlestadt, Glass or Vilardi. Who that is, is anybody's guess.

There is no way Colorado doesn't take one of Heiskanen, Makar or Liljegren. With the emerging Rantanen and Jost to compliment - McKinnon, Duschene and Landeskog, they are set at forward for the next decade. They need defence big time, cannot see them passing up on Heiskanen. They love Rantanen and he's a Finn as well, but have heard they are looking at a winger in Owen Tippett, they need wingers as well but defence is their biggest problem right now.

Regardless, one of Vilardi, Mittlestadt or Glass will be available to us, all depends on what centre Dallas takes. And I ain't to put off about losing another spin at the lottery cause those 3 could easily be as good as if not better than Patrick or Hischier. I don't think we are taking Vilardi, his skating may be what makes that decision. It's going to come down to Mittlestadt or Glass but would not be surprised to see a trade back, a couple spots for Rasmussen if there is a team that really wants one of Makar or Liljegren (I think Heiskanen is the first D-man to get selected), that is if they think Rasmussen will still be there at that trade back spot. Something tells me the Canucks like Rasmussen. Also, do not count out Necas, this kid could be the most skilled forward in this draft. The Pastrnak sleeper.
Dallas has 3 good young dmen, but they are Klingberg, Honka and Johns. Oleksiak is barely NHL level. All 3 of those guys play the right side and they have no young LHD in the system. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they took a Dman in Heiskanen. If they don't then I'd be shocked if the Avs didn't, barring a Duchene trade which is a distinct possibility.

It's funny, most years I'm always hoping a certain player is there to pick - this year I can't decide between Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt so don't really care who we pick. None of the 3 are NHL a ready but project to be top two line centers and that's badly needed.

Now we just need to suck enough to win the lottery and grab Dahlin next year.......
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Dallas Stars have 3 decent young defencemen under the ages of 23 - Klingberg, Oleksiak and Honka..

There is no way Colorado doesn't take one of Heiskanen, Makar or Liljegren.

Regardless, one of Vilardi, Mittlestadt or Glass will be available to us...

I don't think we are taking Vilardi, his skating may be what makes that decision.

It's going to come down to Mittlestadt or Glass but would not be surprised to see a trade back, a couple spots for Rasmussen if there is a team that really wants one of Makar or Liljegren (I think Heiskanen is the first D-man to get selected)...

Also, do not count out Necas, this kid could be the most skilled forward in this draft. The Pastrnak sleeper.
Dallas has 3 good young dmen, but they are Klingberg, Honka and Johns. Oleksiak is barely NHL level. All 3 of those guys play the right side and they have no young LHD in the system. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they took a Dman in Heiskanen. If they don't then I'd be shocked if the Avs didn't, barring a Duchene trade which is a distinct possibility.

It's funny, most years I'm always hoping a certain player is there to pick - this year I can't decide between Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt so don't really care who we pick. None of the 3 are NHL a ready but project to be top two line centers and that's badly needed.

Now we just need to suck enough to win the lottery and grab Dahlin next year.......
I think the Stars might trade their first, Eakin and Johns-or-Lindell to the Avs for Duchene and Jack Johnson (problem is he's another right side dman).
Duchene seems like a bold move trade that Nill would do though, however Oshie is available for free.

These three teams Stars, Avs, Canucks could all be in business for a deal or two between each other.
Stars want to win now, Avs (idk what they are doing), Canucks in rebuild mode.

Devils and Flyers hit the jackpot and will take the top two picks.

All the beat writers in Vancouver seem to think Mittlestadt has heavy interest from the Canucks along with Liljegren, so we probably take Mittlestadt if he's available still at #5 if not, then Liljegren the right side QB.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I guess Vilardi has some interest from Vancouver.
news1130:
Vilardi says he has talked with Canucks scouts this season an his agent talked with Trevor Linden a few weeks ago.
intriguing indeed.

:thumbs:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:McAvoy is 6'1 and 211. Chychrun is 6'3 and 200. These are NHL bodies.

Juolevi, at 6'2 and 180-ish, is liable to get pounded at this level.
Also another point why I prefer Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Kessel I mean Tippett over Cody Glass whose the next Sutter - they both so skinny they can hullahoop through a cheerio.(oldy but goody)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:McAvoy is 6'1 and 211. Chychrun is 6'3 and 200. These are NHL bodies.

Also another point why I prefer Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Kessel I mean Tippett over Cody Glass whose the next Sutter - they both so skinny they can hullahoop through a cheerio.(oldy but goody)
One is 18 and one is 28 and they are the same weight but hey keep on keeping on
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bubbles loves Cody Glass - 6'-2" 180lbs

Bubbles hates Ollie Juolevi - 6'-2" - 185lbs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I believe Colorado is taking one of the 3 defenceman or Tippett. They got young cevtres coming out of the arseholes

The Stars are a mystery but they are most likely looking for Spezzas replacement. They will take a centre

Nicks will the choice of 2 of Vilardi, Mittlestadt and Glass

I think the Stars will take Vilardi
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Bubbles loves Cody Glass - 6'-2" 180lbs

Don't hate Olli just hate when Hastings wants to fast track him to the show because he and his posse need a new toy. Get yo ass back to the Astoria and pic out your own man/Shan/chan to amuse yourself. Leave Olli alone
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:

Can't compare Glass' frame to Sutter's - one is still growing and the other one is just growing old. I've seen references to the men in Glass' family filling out at over 200 lbs and anywhere between 6'3" and 6'5". The kid's bloodlines would indicate he will likely grow and fill out - and he can already skate better than Vilardi. He seems like a meat and potatoes kid, but Benning could do worse than Glass.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Bubbles loves Cody Glass - 6'-2" 180lbs

Don't hate Olli just hate when Hastings wants to fast track him to the show because he and his posse need a new toy. Get yo ass back to the Astoria and pic out your own man/Shan/chan to amuse yourself. Leave Olli alone
How many pay cheques have you cashed at the Astoria, Blobbee? What was there skim? 7% or so? Can't remember
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It's 4% if you get some goods. I know you know this . :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There's only one reason dudes from the burbs go to the Astoria. I know you know this.