The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Finally a decent post by the dude. Just don't double back and say Middlestat or Rasmussen.

Blobcat would be a-ok with Glass anywhere after 4. He moves a lot better than that slug Vilardi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mittelstadt will be long gone if we're picking in Glass' neighbourhood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Mittelstadt will be long gone if we're picking in Glass' neighbourhood.
Mittlestat has zero interest in the defensive end of the rink. He's getting harshly criticized for it, a bit of a primadonna offence only guy.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Finally a decent post by the dude. Just don't double back and say Middlestat or Rasmussen.

Blobcat would be a-ok with Glass anywhere after 4. He moves a lot better than that slug Vilardi.
It's really too bad about Vilardi's skating. If he could skate he'd be challenging Hirschier and Patrick definitely. He's pretty much the next Jason Allison. But it would be definitely tough to pass him up if he falls out of the top 5. Horvat improved his skating.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see we are back in the Patrick/Hirshier race. That should make Bubbles and IslandFarms happy as a camper
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I see we are back in the Patrick/Hirshier race. That should make any fan with a brain their head ,happy as a camper
Fixed
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I see we are back in the Patrick/Hirshier race. That should make any fan with a brain their head ,happy as a camper
Fixed
There's 30 games left in the season, brah. We are only 5 points out of the wildcard, with games in hand on lots of teams ahead of us. Yogi Berra - "It ain't over til it's over"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

This draft you hope to land top 3: NP, Vilardi, Hirshy.

Canucks luck at the draft we land 3rd last tied with fuckin' Vegas for odds and we land 4th.
Liljegren or Vesalainen it is.

If you land further down in draft at 10th etc then you hope you can get a Comtois or Rasmussen the powerplay king (5on5 not so good)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:This draft you hope to land top 3: NP, Vilardi, Hirshy.

Canucks luck at the draft we land 3rd last tied with fuckin' Vegas for odds and we land 4th.
Liljegren or Vesalainen it is.

If you land further down in draft at 10th etc then you hope you can get a Comtois or Rasmussen the powerplay king (5on5 not so good)
Such a spotty draft after the first two picks whom have long separated themselves from the pack. I would still take Vilardi at 3 and hopefully he can train with Horvat and Horvat's skating coach in the offseason, both are from Ontario. Vilardi's hands, IQ, patience with the puck, size and excellence at protecting the puck are too good to ignore.

After that it gets dodgy. Liljegren's season hasn't gone according to plan, reminds me of the hype Kylington and Chychrun got long before their draft, he seems to be falling out of favour, but could still prove to be one of the top 3 players of this class, could be the biggest drop we see at the draft. Plus the Canucks don't need D. He's not that much better than Makar, Hague, Foote and Valimaki. Makar could be the sleeper steal of the draft, yes he is smallish for a D man, but super skilled.

I'd have no problem taking Glass at 5 or 6. Rasmussen, although a nice dedication to the game and work ethic, seems to only score within 5' of the net, but I wouldn't have a problem taking him around 10th, same with Tippitt, although Tippitt is your prototypical net driving/shoot winger that Virtanen came advertised as. Rassmussen seems to be this drafts Anthony Mantha

The problem I have with Petterssen is he is a fucking bean pole (6'-1" - 160lbs!!!) same goes for Necas (6"-0 169 lbs) and Tolvanen who is Shinkaruks height and weight. If Blobby thinks Juolevi is a bean pole those 3 kids are worse! I'd actually take Anderssen ahead of Pettersen whom I thought was more impressive at the WJC's

Really not sure what to make of the Russian Klostin. Man that guy is all over the map on the rankings out there, sometimes top 5 sometimes in the middle teens.

Don't like hearing about Mittlestat's zero interest in defence. He looks to only play from blueline in. Great hands and horvat size but leaves a lot to be desired away from the puck, not what you want from a centre.

Centre Poehling all size and speed but very limited offensively, you can find guys like this on the free agent market

Although Comtios is having a not so good year, I'd still consider him if we are picking between 10 and 15, lots to like about him

If you are picking 3rd overall, take the gamble on Vilardi and hope he does something with this skating. After that and maybe Liljegren, toss a coin

I'm hoping for Glass if we are out of the top 4. If we are picking 4th and Patrick, Hirschier and Vilardi are gone, you'd have to consider taking Liljegren, or trade back if a team is desperate for him. Could see a lot of 1st round picks getting traded from 5th pick on back
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If the Canucks end up with the 3rd-8th pick , what would it take to move up and get Patrick ? This kid is the real deal . Does it all reminds me a bit of Jamie Benn and Joe Thornton and has a nice edge to his game. Vancouvers pick + Tanev, Subban + the Benning special a 2nd rounder. I'd do it in a heartbeat but not sure if it gets it done. Barring that try and get Hishcier.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mondi wrote:Guaranteed the Canucks land a 5-10th pick, don't make any deals and claim they are happy with the pick. That pick then takes 2-3 years to develop and is projected to be a solid third line checking forward and/or is a 5'10" European checking forward.

Meanwhile, Virtanen is trending toward bust. Guance has been demoted.

McCann and Shinkaruk, both of whom may be busts, have long been punted out of town.

And OJ, remains a big unknown. Whoohooo!

Luckily there we have a stable of guys who might workout as serviceable to good NHL d-men in Stetcher, Tryamkin, and Hutton. And, we have Boesser, Demko, Brisebois, Lockwood and Gaudette who may or may not workout as well.

Interesting times...are we on the way to respectability? Or are we "LOL" as noted by the Hockey News?

I don't see us challenging Pitt, Wash, or Chi in the short term. And, I don't see us challenging Toronto or Edmonton in the long run. Still searching for our next "generational" talent(s).
Man. Dark days indeed.
I predict a late surge into the 10-14th pick. I see them drafting a plodding checker with skating concerns if their 5'10" euro-weenie is no longer available
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Where this team ends up in the standings is beyond me, somewhere between 3rd and 14th. If we are 3rd, 4th or 5th Benning definitively has to make a move for one of the top 2 picks. We need an excellent centre prospect in the system. If it isn't Patrick or Hischier then it's one of Vilardi, Mittlestat, Glass or Rassmussen.

I think the top 5 will go like:

Patrick
Hischier
Liljegren
Vilardi
Mittlestat

We will be in the category of

Glass
Rassmussen
Tippitt
Makar
Poehling
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:Where this team ends up in the standings is beyond me, somewhere between 3rd and 14th. If we are 3rd, 4th or 5th Benning definitively has to make a move for one of the top 2 picks. We need an excellent centre prospect in the system. If it isn't Patrick or Hischier then it's one of Vilardi, Mittlestat, Glass or Rassmussen.

I think the top 5 will go like:

Patrick
Hischier
Liljegren
Vilardi
Mittlestat

We will be in the category of

Glass
Rassmussen
Tippitt
Makar
Poehling
NHL draft history has shown that someone in the top 5 category belongs in the second group, and vice versa. Benning can display his purported genius by spotting and drafting that second group player who belonged in the top 5, without sacrificing assets to move up.

So far, exactly one Benning draft pick, in the person of Tryamkin, is helping the Canucks (arguably the McCann pick would also be helping the Canucks, if Gudbranson were proving useful). Before anyone protests that it is still early, I agree that it is too early to assess his drafting record. Is there a consensus on the board about the length of time that is appropriate ? Next year should tell us much more.

Here's a fun idea: every year, anyone who aspires to be an NHL GM submits his (or her) draft order to central scouting. When interviewing potential new GMs, clubs can refer to the candidate's mock draft record over the past few years, and decide whether that's the person they want running their draft.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah this draft class is very spotty after picks 1 and 2. I have no doubts there will be a few duds taken in the top 10 along with some unpredictable steals coming out of the remaining part of the draft. This has to be one of the worst draft classes we've seen in awhile if at least the most unpredictable in boom or busts. The Canucks may have to take a gamble on one of those flyweights like Necas, Pettersen, Makar, Tolvanen and hope for the best. We do need some high end skill. Or do the opposite and make a Virtanen style pick and go for size that comes with warning signs or limitations in - Rasmussenn, Tippitt, Poehling, Kostin, Vilardi
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canucks need to draft the most "Skilled" player available. IF we are drafting 3rd overall, we take Liljegren regardless of position. We then trade from a position of strength - Defence, to acquire a good young forward. Or trade that pick to a team desperate for a defenceman if they have the same quality if not better and in age in a forward prospect or young player that said team is willing to offer up