The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by SKYO »

Kinda crazy how Patrick, Timothy Liljegren (mono) and Vilardi all were or are injured/out this season.

6'3 right shot - Patrick uber skills, decent skater, two-way workhorse center.

Liljegren game breaker dman.

6'3 right shot - Vilardi slick scorer, creative, center/rw, weakness is he's a slow skater. (granted he's almost a year younger than Patrick tho' :o )

Aaronp18 wrote:
Lancer wrote:Does Las Vegas pick in this one? If so, we may as well forget about that #1 overall pick. What's the consensus on this Rasmussen kid?
Yes, they get the same odds as the 3rd worst team in the draft lottery!

As for Rasmussen, took a little read through this HF thread about him.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... 789&page=2

Apparently now 6'6" 215lbs. Plays with an edge, definitely a power forward type centre, big net presence, good hands.
Yeah that interview with Michael Rasmussen http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/a ... n-1.612017 dude sounds like a potential beast.

If we stay the same at 3rd last by season' end, we could lose the lotto once again (as per tradition, [googles "how to break curses"]) and stay top 5 and we could land this big SOB from BC.

Ras started skating at 5, playing hockey at 6, always a forward, fan of the canucks (parents always had tickets), fave players with Vancity growing up Naslund and Linden.

Working on skating, power skating, and strength & conditioning to get ready for the pro's - speed/strength.

I could see a future one-two punch with Horvat and Rasmussen down the middle for the Twinsition plan.

Ras could center two euro wingers (for ex: grans/rodin) so they can whiz around and score while Ras is the big ol' beast center guy creating havoc in front of the net.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As RD pointed out before about this swiss fella - Nico Hischier, has comparisons and similarities to Pavel Bure and Patrick Kane. :shock:
Hischier is an east-west skater with explosive acceleration, tremendous agility, and high-end top speed. That said, he is an intelligent skater. Unlike players who gallop up the ice at every opportunity, he is selective about when to hit top speed. He only needs four strides, but rather than simply skate up and down the ice at full speed, he is extremely savvy about his positioning and the element of surprise. He is a patient, sneaky player who eludes his opponents with changes of speed and patience on his skates.

He lurks, and doesn't often accelerate up to top speed upon receiving the puck; thus he doesn't seem as fast as he really is. He will instead use his acceleration to surprise the opposition and create distance; on the defensive side of the game, he will accelerate to close distance. He manages his speed well, and plays at various different speeds. Hischier plays a roaming style, which makes him so comparable to two particular players -- Patrick Kane and Pavel Bure. This video will illustrate why.

That said, while Patrick Kane has terrific acceleration and agility, he lacks top speed. Hischier not only has better acceleration, but better top speed. He can pull away more quickly than Kane can. On many occasions, I have said that Kane is the closest thing to Pavel Bure (at least, pre-injury Bure) in the current NHL in terms of style of play.

There is lots of subtlety in that type of game, and a strong sense of anticipation is required to play that way. I believe that smart skaters are the most difficult to play against because they're impossible to read.

Nico Hischier plays that same style, but I think he is even closer to Bure in style than Kane is. Coaches have previously thought to place Kane and Bure at center because of their roaming style, their preference to play the entire zone, and their tendency to stay behind the play and quarterback the offense. Faceoffs may have been the only reason that they were not centermen. Hischier does the same things as they do, which makes this comparison the most apt.

I believe that the closest comparable player is Pavel Bure, and this video demonstrates this.
After the release of the Nico Hischier and Pavel Bure speed comparison video recently, I have decided to expand on my analysis of 2017 NHL Top Prospect Hischier's game and the role that skating plays in it. I've done an analysis of Hischier's game and broken down some key elements of his game based on the footage that is available
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Not interested in Owen Tippett, he's a one dimensional winger - straight line and shoot, those types of juniors don't adapt well to the NHL anymore, also not interested in Rassmussen either, the big bodied net front power forward centres with no assists are becoming s dinosaur as well. it's all Speed, Smarts, Skill now...the triple S. We should be focusing on Hirschier, Patrick, Liljegren, Mittlestat, Vilardi. Also, Vilardis skating isn't bad, he's s Mark Scheiffle type, very smart with good hands and vision
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

That Herch kid looks really good
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:also not interested in Rassmussen either, the big bodied net front power forward centres with no assists are becoming s dinosaur as well.

it's all Speed, Smarts, Skill now...the triple S. We should be focusing on Hirschier, Patrick, Liljegren, Mittlestat, Vilardi. Also, Vilardis skating isn't bad, he's s Mark Scheiffle type, very smart with good hands and vision
Scheiffle was much quicker I read.

But I'm starting to lean on Vilardi anyways over Nolan Patrick who seems mega injury prone.
AAA Bantam Hockey League Division 1 during its 2012-13 season. He missed nearly half of the season due to a shoulder injury, but nonetheless was regarded as a highly-touted prospect.

..during the midst of the Wheat Kings' 2013-14 season, a high number of injuries to the roster caused him to be called up from the Midget AAA Winnipeg Thrashers. He was initially unavailable upon being called up due to a shoulder injury, and did not play during the call-up.

He began his rookie season in the 2014–15 season, where he scored 30 goals and 56 points in 55 games. Between mid-February and mid-March 2015, Patrick missed 12 games with an upper-body injury, although initial reports were that it was a lower-body injury.

After the season, it was revealed that Patrick had suffered a sports hernia injury on April 27, 2016 during Game 4 of the WHL's Eastern Conference Final series against the Red Deer Rebels and had played through the WHL Finals and 2016 Memorial Cup with the injury. Following the 2015-16 campaign, he received sports hernia surgery.

After playing six games to begin the season, however, the Wheat Kings announced on October 14, 2016 that Patrick had once again been sidelined with an upper-body injury.
I just hope Vilardi doesn't have the diva-me first attitude like William Nylander or the entitled out-of-shape styles of Virtanen.

But it sounds like he's like a Hossa or other big creative forwards who got a bit of a chip on their shoulder like Jeff Carter.
Vilardi good on the forecheck which causes problems for defenders. He uses his size to shield the puck and maintain possession in the cycle game, and uses his powerful stride to fight through checks and drive the net. Vilardi has a very long reach and excellent puck handling ability. He uses these assets to extend plays and wait for teammates to get open, before hitting them with a pass. Vilardi is constantly moving and getting involved in the play. He is extremely gritty and involved in battles along the boards, and in front of the net. The power forward prospect also has a very good wrist shot and an excellent release.

With Windsor hosting the 2017 Memorial Cup, there will be plenty of opportunities to show off his skills to the scouts. He has put up nine goals and 22 points in 16 games so far this year. Vilardi underwent surgery on Monday, an appendectomy, but should be back in plenty of time for Windsor’s run at the title.
But if you in the lotto you take Patrick, but Vilardi who is almost a year younger than Patrick will put up a good fight to be the better player.

Either way some good picks if you land in top 3-6 spots.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The top 4 is Patrick, Vilardi, Liljegren, Hirschier IMO. Vilardi has the potential to be as good as Patrick. Hirschier is a different type of centre - RNH type maybe?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would Roberto Macenzzi's boi - Gillis still have his job had he drafted these players instead?

2008 Draft- Norris Trophy D-man - Erik Karlsson (15th) instead of "where is he now" - Centre Hodgson at 10th. This one is baffling, the Nucks had just lost their only good D prospect in Bourdon a month earlier and already had centres in the prime of their age in Kesler and Hank.

2009 Draft - Centre Marcus Johansson (24th) instead of "where is he now" shrimp of a centre - Schroeder at 22nd??? Johansson is a beast now with the Capitals. Gillis loves his smurfs - see Subban

2010 Draft - Centre's - Kuznetsov (26th), Coyle (28th) or Brock Nelson at 30th instead of trading the 25th pick for the greatest D-man in Canuck history - "where is he now" Buyout Ballard. This is the real kicker, I remember the Gillis interview post draft, saying something along the lines "we didn't like what was available, so we were OK trading the pick" LOLOLOLOL! Kuznetsov, Coyle, Nelson???? Are you effin' kidding me? No wonder Rogers Arena fired Gillis.

2011 Draft - Centre - Rackell 30th instead of the great - Niklas Jensen at 29th? My gawd, awful for us. Never mind Rackell...Jenner (37th), Rask (42nd), Saad (43rd) would have been nice but no...Niklas Jensen, just terrible.

2012 Draft - D-man Brady Skjel (28th) instead of Gaunce at 26th. Hate to pick on Gaunce but the kid is borderline NHL/AHL, His ceiling is very limited. He will be lucky to score 3 goals in a season in the NHL. This Skjel kid is a beaut 6'-3" 200 lbs. Nevermind Skjel, Tanner Pearson at 30th would have been nice as well. Do the Rangers not know how to find gems later in the draft? JT Miller, Stepan, Hayes, Krieder, Skjel...the list goes on.

2013 Draft - D-man - Shea Theodore at 26th instead of that bum Shrinkcarrot at 24th? Theodore is a beaut! Yeah, Gillis drafted Horvat at 10th, but in this draft, one of the strongest in years, you'd have to be a moron of GM to not land a good player if you are drafting in the Top 10. But the bottom line, without Nonis drafting Schneider this deal never happens.

Karlsson for Hodgson
Johansson for Schroeder
Kuznetsov instead of trading pick for Ballard
Rackell instead of Niklas Jensen
Skjel instead of Gaunce
Theodore instead of Shrinkcarrot.

Gillis still has a job. His poor drafting ruined him and this team as we are witnessing now, which is leaving BenLinden scrambling to fix that gaping hole those picks would have filled.

Just Brutal.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Preach brutha.

At least you see the analytics crew, the know-it-all's are all acknowledging what a blackhole the Gillis era was in terms of horrendous drafting in Canucks history, Canucks overall in it's history have been terribad in poor scouting, the got lucky a few times, but good teams don't rely solely on luck, they work/scout/analyze 24/7 for potential top talent from the mainstream (canada/us) to the outbacks in europe/russia etc, connects everywhere.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Only four more months of Elmers reign of error.

Will it be Tallon ? Maybe Maloney ? Who will clean up Elmers dump he laid ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Boobie, you ever thought about going to a Canucks game at Rogers Arena and starting up the chant - "FIRE BENNING!"? It's worked in the past.

Fuck how bad could a GM be where a whole sold out building at Rogers Arena is chanting in unison for the Canucks GM to be fired? LOL

But hey are we surprised, when you consider just how atrociously bad Gillis drafting and developing was?
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Boobie, you ever thought about going to a Canucks game at Rogers Arena and starting up the chant - "FIRE BENNING!"? It's worked in the past.

Fuck how bad could a GM be where a whole sold out building at Rogers Arena is chanting in unison for the Canucks GM to be fired? LOL

But hey are we surprised, when you consider just how atrociously bad Gillis drafting and developing was?
Sadly, that scenario lacks plausibility for the foreseeable future.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Now that the Canucks crushed my little hopes of a comeback to the playoffs....

Back to the draft!

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/12/22/conso ... s-december
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Plan - Draft the Swiss Sensation - Hirschier and then fire Wilbrod at seasons end and then hire the ex Swiss League coach - The Crow. BRING BACK THE CROW!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:The Plan - Draft the Swiss Sensation - Hirschier and then fire Wilbrod at seasons end and then hire the ex Swiss League coach - The Crow. BRING BACK THE CROW!
World Juniors good time to check this mofo.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hirschier has that McCann, Nuge, Sam Bennett light body frame. I don't think he's Gaudreau/Marner good to make up for his light frame to be a stud in the NHL. Patrick, Liljegren, Vilardi, Mittlestadt should go ahead of him