The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There could be a team a little back from our 5th pick that may be desperate to draft a player like Makar for instance. Dropping back 3-4-5 spots and getting another 2nd would be a good move. There is a consensus top 4 (Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Heiskanen) in this draft but unfortunately for the Canucks and their lottery curse we got bumped down to the next tier where it's a mish mash of prospects that is nearly impossible to decipher the best player available for maybe the next 10 picks or even more. Trade down Jimmy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Trade down Jimmy
Do any of those teams hold 2 1st round picks by chance...say an 8th and a 16th or something...that would be ideal
If you need air...call it in
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Trade down Jimmy
Do any of those teams hold 2 1st round picks by chance...say an 8th and a 16th or something...that would be ideal
I think the closest is Arizona who hold the 7th and 23rd picks. Depending on who they covet, they might be willing to move up I guess. I agree that the consensus seems to have Vilardi as a lock to make the top 4 though I was surprised to see him ranked well below that by Button (He was a pretty shitty GM though so that might not be saying much). I guess if the Canucks fail to move up, it might make sense to drop back.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wouldn't move down in the draft unless it was an offer too good to pass up. Moving to 7th OA from 5th OA really doesn't make sense as I doubt we get much as a sweetener to do so. Yet the difference for us in drafting 5th instead of 7th could be huge.

If the Canucks can move up do it but again I don't want to see them do that at a great expense. I still think trading Tanev is our best chance at ADDING another 1st round, top ten pick. How much we have to add to that will depend upon how high that pick is. Tanev to Buffalo straight up should suffice for their 1st. Tanev plus a 2nd would be my ceiling to get the Dallas 1st.

Otherwise keep Chris and trade Sbisa for whatever.
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I don't think I would trade Tanev for first over all, I would want more. I think Sbisa is worth a first on his own.I agree I wouldn't offer much to sweeten the pot to move up. This draft is too volatile, there is a good chance that the best player of the draft may be taken in the second or third round. This is a draft with lots of players with upside, but they all come with blemishes. How well they are developed will be huge. I can see trading Tanev for an established player so you know what you have coming in. Nathan Mckinnon would work for me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

bckev wrote:I don't think I would trade Tanev for first over all, I would want more. I think Sbisa is worth a first on his own.I agree I wouldn't offer much to sweeten the pot to move up. This draft is too volatile, there is a good chance that the best player of the draft may be taken in the second or third round. This is a draft with lots of players with upside, but they all come with blemishes. How well they are developed will be huge. I can see trading Tanev for an established player so you know what you have coming in. Nathan Mckinnon would work for me.
I think this draft is being badly underrated only because we've had 2 drafts in a row with 3 franchise players taken at the top. Vilardi is a very, very good prospect and so are Nico and Nolan. Maybe they don't come in with the hype of previous top picks but i am pretty sure many of the games best weren't mined in the top 3 picks. There will be gold in this one for a few shrewd-drafting teams and we have an excellent scout calling the shots.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I think this draft is being badly underrated only because we've had 2 drafts in a row with 3 franchise players taken at the top. Vilardi is a very, very good prospect and so are Nico and Nolan. Maybe they don't come in with the hype of previous top picks but i am pretty sure many of the games best weren't mined in the top 3 picks. There will be gold in this one for a few shrewd-drafting teams and we have an excellent scout calling the shots.
Well, this is where Scouting Jim shines, right? There will (of course) be good-great players taken in this draft.

I wouldn't be sacrificing a ton to move to 1-2, but I also wouldn't be trading down without a massive overpayment (which is not gonna happen for the same reason we shouldn't move up).

No need to reinvent the wheel and overthink things. If someone wants to deal a good pick for a d-man (might be more inclined this year), sweet. If not, use the draft picks we have to draft BPA.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You'd have to be Not Right In The Head to not be open to the idea'rs of trading down NOT UP! Flip a coin with the next 10 picks after the 4th pick, it don't fucking matter, picking 5th, picking 15th, same fucking diff.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

We need start planning on tanking and acquiring 2020 draft picks for
2020 NHL draft eligible 15yr old, 6'0-176lbs Alexis Lafrenière finishes the regular season with 83 points in 36 games in the QMAAA, the most points by a U16 player in that league since 1991 with the fifth-highest PPG ever for that age.

2018 - Rasmus Dahlin
2019 - Jack Hughes

--

Looks like Makar could be a #5 pick by the Canucks if he's still on board.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ig-at-no-5

Which I'd be ok with, dude should be a high point producing dman in the NHL for many years.

--

The Draft Analyst - Final Rankings:
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/rankings ... -rankings/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Can a team have both Stecher and Makar. Makar sounds like a rich mans version of Stecher. So who are we replacing the Sedins with? Makar and Juolevi? Our defence situation is in much better shape than our forward situation, if one can fathom this team without the Sedins. I love Horvat and Boeser but they ain't exactly super dynamic if you catch my drift
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Can a team have both Stecher and Makar. Makar sounds like a rich mans version of Stecher. So who are we replacing the Sedins with? Makar and Juolevi? Our defence situation is in much better shape than our forward situation, if one can fathom this team without the Sedins. I love Horvat and Boeser but they ain't exactly super dynamic if you catch my drift
Canucks can Seth Jones this situation, a right shot QB scorer should return a an equally good scoring center in a swap.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:We need start planning on tanking and acquiring 2020 draft picks for
2020 NHL draft eligible 15yr old, 6'0-176lbs Alexis Lafrenière finishes the regular season with 83 points in 36 games in the QMAAA, the most points by a U16 player in that league since 1991 with the fifth-highest PPG ever for that age.

2018 - Rasmus Dahlin
2019 - Jack Hughes

--

Looks like Makar could be a #5 pick by the Canucks if he's still on board.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ig-at-no-5

Which I'd be ok with, dude should be a high point producing dman in the NHL for many years.

--

The Draft Analyst - Final Rankings:
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/rankings ... -rankings/
I thought the D guy was supposed to go #3?

Just shows the talking heads know nothing and GM will draft and develop who they think is best.

I am ok with a D man being chosen IF Benning utilizes his assets properly. Rarely will a real trade a top 5 pick but you can get a Drouin type player in swap of players between 2 teams.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So it seems since the draft combine that Makar got real popular and is moving up the ranks enough to have the Devils frothing at the mouth with thoughts of drafting him. Could be pre-draft poker among the teams picking in the top 5. The quiet ones of this group seem to be the Avalanche.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:Can a team have both Stecher and Makar. Makar sounds like a rich mans version of Stecher. So who are we replacing the Sedins with? Makar and Juolevi?
Yeah, I usually like the big doods on defence (6'4+) like Guds and Tryamkin, but Nashville seemed to do it with a bunch of guys who are vertically challenged. It'll probably take awhile for Makar to be NHL ready anyways. When he's ready for full-time NHL minutes, we can always just move Stecher for a forward or something.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

bckev wrote:I don't think I would trade Tanev for first over all, I would want more. I think Sbisa is worth a first on his own.I agree I wouldn't offer much to sweeten the pot to move up. This draft is too volatile, there is a good chance that the best player of the draft may be taken in the second or third round. This is a draft with lots of players with upside, but they all come with blemishes. How well they are developed will be huge. I can see trading Tanev for an established player so you know what you have coming in. Nathan Mckinnon would work for me.

LOL is this guy the love child of Doc and Dude ?

Talk about overating Canucks players. Sbisa is worth a 5th rounder at best and Taney would do well to return a top 10 pick
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”