Time for a prediction thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How will the season end for the Canucks

A parade down Robson
8%
A playoff series win
13%
A playoff appearance
29%
We have an early golf season (just miss playoffs)
17%
We're not in the hunt for a wild card
13%
A bottom 5 finish
15%
Bottom of the standings
6%

Total votes: 48

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Time for a prediction thread

Post by Cornuck »

So... how will the Canucks do this season?

Will we hit rock bottom and achieve the 65 points that some have forecast?

Will we make the playoffs and go a Cinderella run?

Will it be somewhere in between?

Doc... is this the year we win the Cup? ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Time for a prediction thread

Post by rats19 »

I said "appearance"

However with a trade or 2 and some players kicking it up a gear (Sutter) while the rest play good hockey. Increase our face off percentage and the goalies having a year. I could see a series win. But alas i am forever optimistic and a holder of dreams.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I voted i dont think were in a hunt for a wildcard. I dont think theyll be bottom 5 but i do think bottom 10.

If the young guys bust out big time then who knows but the Sedins days of leading a team into the playoffs are over
If you need air...call it in
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

rats19 wrote: However with a trade or 2 and some players kicking it up a gear (Sutter) while the rest play good hockey.
Whatever you pick should be looked at as potentially moving +/-1 spot. A key injury, a hot goalie or some good/bad luck in the OT or shootouts can easily move you up or down the standings. Although I dont see them as a sure thing to make the playoffs, its in the range of reasonable expectations.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I said appearance, as I see the team at this point. Think it could be one higher if the right things are done pretty quickly.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If we stay relatively healthy I think we can grab a wild card spot. If we suffer key injuries like last year I guess we will get to test Benning's assertion that we have more NHL ready depth in the system to proctect against that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

We'll be in tough to stay out of the basement in the division.

Both Wild Cards will go to the Central again, and we're not top-3 in the pacific.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Top 10 pick (somewhere between 5-10). Sedins just a bit older, that more prone to injury and if one of the top 4 dmen get injured we can't expect any of the remaining to step into a top 4 role effectively.

Only way we vie for a wildcard is if we remain relatively injury free and get career years from some secondary players (sutter, horvat, sven for example).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Analysts saying every year, 5 teams who made the playoffs the previous year don't make it the next, I'm guessing Minny could be out and depending on injuries the Stars with Seguin hurting his foot the 2nd time this year, they could be a bubble team.
Hell even LA missed one year.

Things deteriorate for a variety of reasons, missing a key player, a few, contract fiasco's, coach/star player beef, who knows, anyways like beating a dead horse for the billionth time, the Canucks if they are to make the playoffs it's health and the young guys stepping up a notch, plus it's always nice to have a surprise performance from some new guy(s). stecher?rodin?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Doc... is this the year we win the Cup? ;)
I don't want to jinx it by answering that question. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote: Doc... is this the year we win the Cup? ;)
I don't want to jinx it by answering that question. :mrgreen:
Consistency above all eh Doc. :P

If nothing else your glass is always half full.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Late Spring, early Summer sixteen game win streak.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Injuries always happen, and so when the team itself admits not getting into injury trouble is key to a playoff run I think that's the red flag right there. Even if everything breaks right for them, they're still likely not good enough to make the playoffs, and how many times does everything break right, especially with not much depth up front to begin with?

I went with bottom 5 finish, and let's hope we win the lottery this time, get Nolan Patrick as our future #1C
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

As usual, fans being overoptimistic about their team's chances. Most certainly we have a better team this year with the addition of Gudbranson / Rodin, and Baertschi / Horvat likely to continue their upward trajectory. But this is probably not enough for a playoff berth.

Just miss.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The two biggest weaknesses of the team continue to be addressed Lord Benning. Goal production and toughness.

Scoring goals has been an ongoing issue for three years. The direction for improving that has been positive under Lord Benning. Sometimes it won't get better until it gets worse and I believe the low is behind the Canucks.

The most obvious triplet was acquired as soon as he became available in a move Lord Benning receives very little credit for. Decisive and bold as always.

Yet another spectacular draft performance was kicked off by trading for a big tough minute eating defender. Lord Benning, decisive and bold as always.

Daniel. Henrik, Loui; a dangerous scoring first line and first unit PP. not having watched Loui Eriksson much earlier in his career, I have been very impressed with his defence. He'll be a force on the first unit PK allowing him to be fresh for the 1st shift post PK.

A healthy Sutter centring the 2A line allows Horvat to centre the 2B and get back to developing his game with less pressure to perform. Granlund, Sutter and Hanson will need to develop chemistry. Bearcheese and Horvat have that already, Rodin and Sven were getting there. I can see Jake platooning with Rodin allowing both to develop and Jake adding muscle where needed. Lets not forget that is why he was kept around last year.

Dorsett, Gaunce, Burrows add a vet leadership youthful progression with antagonism and middleweight toughness.

On defence, Tanev - Edler continue as the top pairing followed by Gudbranson, Hutton then Larson and a platoon of Tryamkin/Sbisa. I wouldn't be surprised to see two right hand shots Gudbranson, Larson and two left hand shots Hutton and Sbisa/Tryamkin.

As others noted, not a lot of depth when injuries kick in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.