Time for a prediction thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How will the season end for the Canucks

A parade down Robson
8%
A playoff series win
13%
A playoff appearance
29%
We have an early golf season (just miss playoffs)
17%
We're not in the hunt for a wild card
13%
A bottom 5 finish
15%
Bottom of the standings
6%

Total votes: 48

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Time for a prediction thread

Post by dangler »

Like the Defense, especially if a few can significantly improve the offense.
Probably just miss the playoffs unless they get hot at the right time of the season.
The only way they advance past the 1st round is if a new 1st line emerges and the Sedins become the secondary scoring. Unfortunately the team doesn't have the top 6 forwards for that to happen.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:I have question for Doc. This is a serious question for a top notch mind.

Why have the following outfits, predicted the Canucks to finish 30th (ranked them 30th)?
A bunch of links
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... f=2&t=8954
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:I have question for Doc. This is a serious question for a top notch mind.

Why have the following outfits, predicted the Canucks to finish 30th (ranked them 30th)?
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... lit=circle
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: out of market types have little incentive to place the Canucks unduly low in the standings.
Read my link, Canucks are still one of the most hated teams in the league.
Mondi wrote: Where I think there is no good explanation (save for the obvious), is that Vegas gives Vancouver the lowest Cup odds. Vegas is rarely wrong.
Well they were dead wrong about the Kings 5 years ago (first thing that springs to mind).

Vancouver is in a 4-way tie for lowest Cup odds in Vegas.

You'll find the odds at this point in time line up pretty good with how the teams finished last year.

Some of the teams receive a slight bump up/down depending a lot on what the pundits are saying.

But the pundits are biased and tend to get swept up in hype somewhat.

(no hype going on in Vancouver, but the team on paper is improved)

I noticed you linked to EA Sports. :lol:

Great, the sooner they can build a computer program that can tell us who is going to win horse races

.... the sooner the Las Vegas' NHL franchise will fold! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It is alarming, AND these stupid odds will be calculated into all the new games, (Pisser).

But: Our goaltending "alone" is enough to make me say WTF? to these odds.

The defense is deeper.

We might still have a problem flashing the red light enough, but NOT as bad as last year so,

I reiterate; WTF. Miffed am I... :?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Every season Benning has been here we have seen significant turnover. Not always for the better but for the most part an improvement. I was reading a couple of hockey boards today and had to laugh at some Canuck fans crying about no rebuild and hoping we do finish last so that Benning, or his successor, are forced into finally tear it down and doing a proper rebuild. I wonder if they ask themselves who's left to trade that would constitute a proper rebuild. Miller and Burrows are gone in the offseason. That only leaves a handful of players like Hansen, Edler, Tanev and the twins. Two of those are getting traded.

No question if we trade Hansen, Edler and Tanev we could get some nice picks/assets back. But really, is that what we want at this point in time? I guess if we are out of the playoffs by TDD it could be a good way to go but that, IMHO, completely blows the twins last season.

As usual those same fans rant about Sbisa and Dorsett. Those two ain't giving us a solid return. Sure they give us cap. But assets to facilitate a rebuild?

I still think we can make the playoffs but to be honest that's the fan talking. I really need to see the first 20 games or so to form a more informed and unbiased opinion.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Every season Benning has been here we have seen significant turnover. Not always for the better but for the most part an improvement. I was reading a couple of hockey boards today and had to laugh at some Canuck fans crying about no rebuild and hoping we do finish last so that Benning, or his successor, are forced into finally tear it down and doing a proper rebuild. I wonder if they ask themselves who's left to trade that would constitute a proper rebuild. Miller and Burrows are gone in the offseason. That only leaves a handful of players like Hansen, Edler, Tanev and the twins. Two of those are getting traded.

No question if we trade Hansen, Edler and Tanev we could get some nice picks/assets back. But really, is that what we want at this point in time? I guess if we are out of the playoffs by TDD it could be a good way to go but that, IMHO, completely blows the twins last season.

As usual those same fans rant about Sbisa and Dorsett. Those two ain't giving us a solid return. Sure they give us cap. But assets to facilitate a rebuild?

I still think we can make the playoffs but to be honest that's the fan talking. I really need to see the first 20 games or so to form a more informed and unbiased opinion.
That last part is really good advise. Hard to wait though, isn't it. ;)
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Every season Benning has been here we have seen significant turnover. Not always for the better but for the most part an improvement. I was reading a couple of hockey boards today and had to laugh at some Canuck fans crying about no rebuild and hoping we do finish last so that Benning, or his successor, are forced into finally tear it down and doing a proper rebuild. I wonder if they ask themselves who's left to trade that would constitute a proper rebuild. Miller and Burrows are gone in the offseason. That only leaves a handful of players like Hansen, Edler, Tanev and the twins. Two of those are getting traded.

Probably as hard as NOT commenting on every other post.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I for one am thankful for these odds, more money in my pocket at the end of the season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Some folks acting like the Canucks were the only team to improve (on paper) over the summer.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I believe we will win at least 1 playoff round
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Somebody drop a bale of hay on your head? Take an aspirin.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Somebody drop a bale of hay on your head? Take an aspirin.

Oh you silly goose!! I wasn't hit in the head with a hay bale, I was clubbed in the face (along with everyone else here) with 1200 posts of useless drivel since spring!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I voted for finishing just outside the playoffs but I have changed my mind.

I predict a good start, with a playoff position after 20 or so games. After that ... injuries combined with a tough schedule put us in a bottom 10 finish. Right around 26th overall...lottery time.

The lottery will not be in our favour and we will be picking outside the top 5.

I am forever the optimist and being constantly let down by this team...so I will try and be a pessimist this year because:

Pleasantly surprised > Let down

Can't wait for Saturday.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well MCP. Isn't that a ripping good endorsement for new recruits thinking of joining. Good job.

I have had many people say; "What are you thinking"
I have had many compliments on posts; "Good post, Mick"
I have predicted some things that come true and some that have not.
I have written well thought out long posts.
I have posted one or two word posts, sometimes, just a smiley.
Too involved? Didn't know that was against the rules. (Maybe yours).
I wont be going anywhere, except out of my way to make sure I get on your case if IMO, you spew any drivel.
By the way, it was unwarranted and exactly what keeps some folks away.
You silly "Squirrel".
Last edited by Mickey107 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"