2016 Training camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2016 Training camp

Post by Iceman2014 »

Burrows has been OK. I don't think he should be on the team but we're not the GM. He might be dealt to a contender at the deadline for depth purposes. Burr does provide excellent leadership and experience and that will be pretty valuable to the young guys here. So, I am guessing Burr will often be the 13th forward? Anyway, It'll be interesting to see the final cuts and cheer on Burr in his final season.

Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson

Granlund/Sutter/Rodin

Baertschi/Horvat/Etem

Dorsett/Gaunce/Hansen

Burrows

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Sbisa/Larsen

Tryamkin/Biega

Just a guess here!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mondi wrote:...can we really say that Burrows is over-the-hill and useless?

I haven't been watching the preseason, because well, the preseason sucks. But, if the preseason tell us little about the vets. Who's to say AB isn't going to be solid 4L player this season?

And, if the lines looks something like this:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bartchee Horvat Rodin/Virtanen(?)
Granlund(?) Sutter Hansen
Dorsett Gaunce Burrows
Etem

Who is the better alternative at this time? Is it Ruutu? Brooks Laich?
Probably, none of the above.
Might have to look outside the organization.
As long as Burrows is here, he has an effect on the rest of the guys.
"Try to feed Alex the puck, get him a goal, get him going again". That kind of stuff. No room for that.
Not in the NHL. Keep in mind, there no set shelf-life. His is done, you can tell.

My problem with Etem is he's way, way too laid back. No driving passion!
Another bad influence.
A SoCal boy drafted by a SoCal team. What did you think of his goal song last year?
A hint maybe of where he'd like to be?
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote:

I haven't been watching the preseason, because well, the preseason sucks. But, if the preseason tell us little about the vets. Who's to say AB isn't going to be solid 4L player this season?

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Dorsett Gaunce Burrows
Etem

"Try to feed Alex the puck, get him a goal, get him going again". That kind of stuff. No room for that.
Not in the NHL. Keep in mind, there no set shelf-life. His is done, you can tell.
:lol:

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Burrows effect on the rest of the guys, particularly the younger players, is to show them what it takes to earn a spot and put in the work to be a pro.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Iceman2014 wrote:Burr does provide excellent leadership and experience and that will be pretty valuable to the young guys here.

Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson
Granlund/Sutter/Rodin
Baertschi/Horvat/Etem
Dorsett/Gaunce/Hansen
Burrows
Burrows is still an elite penalty killer and if he can get 8-10 goals this season that's golden.

I notice Virtanen is gone to Utica in your lineup, and I concur, notice the Red Wings make it a living hell to get into their veteran lineup?

And they made the playoffs 25 years straight, granted its a shitty organization to try to crack and they are notoriously old every year, but they are a good team nonetheless aha.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is Virtanen wouldn't make that team for another two years if he were there, they'd develop him in the AHL for at least a couple years, unless he pulled a Larkin and came out like an all-star, but Virtanen hasn't, he's like Mantha in that regard, decent shot, big fella but JV is a bit more faster and fluid skater.

But JV should be in the AHL this season, it'll piss him off and thats good, that's what we want from the young guy, get mad, get hungry, force your way back on the team when he gets his next chance.

We got a lot more 2nd/3rd line wingers this year that stepped up thus far in Granlund, Baertschi, Hansen and Rodin, JV on the 4th line would be great but it's a waste of his skillet to just be a crash and banger if he's expected to be better than Raffi Torres.

Developing JV in Utica will be great for both sides for this season.
Iceman2014 wrote: Edler/Tanev
Hutton/Gudbranson
Sbisa/Larsen
Tryamkin/Biega
Larsen being gifted a spot thus far thanks to the one way contract, even though Stecher has outplayed him, both have defensive deficiencies but mostly Larsen who had the worst corsi, shot differential on the team, when he was on the ice the opposing team starting blasting away shots on our net like a firing range. I don't think he makes our team better unless he'll be Krug-deployed used only in the offensive zone.

I honestly think this Larsen experiment will end pretty quick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Can't have the whole town brainwashed into the idea, it's only for one year and he'll be a mentor to the young.
It just doesn't work that way!!!
Yes it does!!! :lol:
micky107 wrote: Maybe you have to of played the game at a high level to know that is one of the worst things you can do to a dressing room and the mood of a team.
Sometimes you're just a tad too "full of yourself" + "out to lunch".

Bad combo good buddy. :wink:
micky107 wrote: there may be other options, even a buyout if necessary, but waiting it out another year is procrastination or dreaming of something that doesn't exist.
The buyout window is closed.
micky107 wrote: Hell, sticking Sbisa on a forward line would be better.
You really are quite mad aren't you Fred! :D
micky107 wrote: I like Burrows. So does most of the team. THAT'S the problem and the distraction.
Stupid sexy Burrows? :mrgreen:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
micky107 wrote: As long as Burrows is here, he has an effect on the rest of the guys.

Burrows effect on the rest of the guys, particularly the younger players, is to show them what it takes to earn a spot and put in the work to be a pro.
Agreed, buddy is mad as a hatter! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Iceman2014 wrote:Burrows has been OK. I don't think he should be on the team but we're not the GM. He might be dealt to a contender at the deadline for depth purposes. Burr does provide excellent leadership and experience and that will be pretty valuable to the young guys here. So, I am guessing Burr will often be the 13th forward? Anyway, It'll be interesting to see the final cuts and cheer on Burr in his final season.

Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson

Granlund/Sutter/Rodin

Baertschi/Horvat/Etem

Dorsett/Gaunce/Hansen

Burrows

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Sbisa/Larsen

Tryamkin/Biega

Just a guess here!

Looks about right to me. Would rather see Stecher on the team and don't see Etem making it, but those are minor changes.

Will be in tough to do much of anything this year. If all goes right maybe a wildcard spot but that's about it.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Dorsett Gaunce Burrows
Etem

At the minor league level, no longer at the NHL level. That's the "stuff" that will have to be accepted one day in order to proceed forward.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: Can't have the whole town brainwashed into the idea, it's only for one year and he'll be a mentor to the young.
It just doesn't work that way!!!
Yes it does!!! :lol:
micky107 wrote: Maybe you have to of played the game at a high level to know that is one of the worst things you can do to a dressing room and the mood of a team.
Sometimes you're just a tad too "full of yourself" + "out to lunch".

Bad combo good buddy. :wink:
micky107 wrote: there may be other options, even a buyout if necessary, but waiting it out another year is procrastination or dreaming of something that doesn't exist.
The buyout window is closed.
micky107 wrote: Hell, sticking Sbisa on a forward line would be better.
You really are quite mad aren't you Fred! :D
micky107 wrote: I like Burrows. So does most of the team. THAT'S the problem and the distraction.
Stupid sexy Burrows? :mrgreen:

I'm full of myself? LOL LOL LOL . Good one, coming from you.

You have far superior computer skills than I, for sure.
I could try to explain further on Burrows but, what's the point.
You won't get it until you get your head out of 2011, but that's just hockey stuff, not PC wizardry.
So if you want to attempt to incite me by calling me Fred again, that's cool.
I'll play along.
Here's your bone, Dino, go git it.... :)
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Benning has said that management would talk yesterday about the final cuts and moves, etc. Today's Monday. Wonder if they're deferring any moves until the end of this week?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Final rosters must be set by Tuesday 5 PM.

Regular season begins Wednesday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Of note today, PA Paranteau and Andrej Pavelec have been placed on waivers.

Still awaiting official word for the rest of the league.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Stetcher and Bachman reassigned: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/roster ... -282528662

...and so the Larssen era begins. :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote:Stetcher and Bachman reassigned: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/roster ... -282528662

...and so the Larssen era begins. :?
:? It will fail..
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Meh, I'm fine with it - a bit of six of one, half-dozen of the other between Stecher and Larsen.

I do believe Stecher has a higher upside, but it is his first year in pro. Interesting to see he was logging huge minutes in the pre-season, but his offense diminished as the competition got better. Larsen was only playing 17-18 minutes a game, but was relatively consistent.

I think Larsen still has some upside too, so I don't see the drawback to keeping him off waivers to see what he can do.

If we're looking for "the Next Hutton", I actually think either of Larsen or Stecher could follow a similar path over the next season.