Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote: *Soon after I posted this, I recalled we can't retain % anymore so never mind. Max two players per year for salary retention, so this would have to be done after the season is finished when Hansen' contract expires.*
Nope, each team can retain on up to three players per year...

And since we are retained on Luongo and Hansen we only have one retention left this year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote: *Soon after I posted this, I recalled we can't retain % anymore so never mind. Max two players per year for salary retention, so this would have to be done after the season is finished when Hansen' contract expires.*

And since we are retained on Luongo and Hansen we only have one retention left this year.
It's likely soneone has already pointed this out, it can be viewed that in a certain situation we actually have two retentions left. If the team actually pulls the trigger on the sedins at the deadline, they can just double the retention on one twin and have the team they are trading with pull full freight on the other twin. Wonder how the league would like that.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Most that can be retained on a contract is 50% right Rocky?

Here's a trade fantasy.

Henrik + Daniel (50% retained) + Edler... for... McCarron + Juulsen + Plekanec (cap dump).

McCarron is a giant asshole who might develop into a power forward.

Juulsen is a BC boy, a RHD who has a Top 4 ceiling (to Utica for a coupla years?).

These are two top prospects...

Montreal has the cap-space to pull this off.

Montreal is trying to win while their window is open.

Montreal is looking for more scoring and a Top 4 LHD.

If Jimmy could pull off a trade like this I'd be happy.

But could the 3 kamrats be talked into waiving for the sake of the team?

(hey, they might win a Cup!)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Strangelove wrote:Most that can be retained on a contract is 50% right Rocky?
Had to look it up but yes, it appears to be 50% max. So 3.5M or 1.75M per twin. I havent been paying close enough attention to know if theres a trend or a standard going rate for retention in trades like say 10% or 15%. I presume its more specific to the teams/players involved on a case by case basis. But back to the main point, in theory, the twins could be had at a pro-rated 5.25M each. Not sure how much that would be whittled down by TDD.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

On a side note, and forgive me if this was discussed at the deadline, but anyone have any reason(s) or theories why are we retaining 500K on hansen. Were the sharks that hard pressed to the cap last year? Hansen at 2M AAV and 1.5M real cash (i presume hes already been paid his 500k/year signing bonus) is a red light bargain basement special and makes me think that the low end of conditional pick should have been higher. Or does Goldy project that good?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rocky Dennis wrote:On a side note, and forgive me if this was discussed at the deadline, but anyone have any reason(s) or theories why are we retaining 500K on hansen. Were the sharks that hard pressed to the cap last year? Hansen at 2M AAV and 1.5M real cash (i presume hes already been paid his 500k/year signing bonus) is a red light bargain basement special and makes me think that the low end of conditional pick should have been higher. Or does Goldy project that good?
Let's hope so because that retention and silly 1st or 4th, IMO, was not that great.
No retention and 1st or 2nd would have been better.
As it sits, don't see how we got enough for such a valuable player, who by the way, is a great mentor for the young guys. IMO...
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think maybe SJ knew we were pushed into a corner a bit on the expansion draft :?:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote:I think maybe SJ knew we were pushed into a corner a bit on the expansion draft :?:
A crack in the windshield and the light leaks in. Mickey experiencing enlightenment
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:Most that can be retained on a contract is 50% right Rocky?

Here's a trade fantasy.

Henrik + Daniel (50% retained) + Edler... for... McCarron + Juulsen + Plekanec (cap dump).

McCarron is a giant asshole who might develop into a power forward.

Juulsen is a BC boy, a RHD who has a Top 4 ceiling (to Utica for a coupla years?).

These are two top prospects...

Montreal has the cap-space to pull this off.

Montreal is trying to win while their window is open.

Montreal is looking for more scoring and a Top 4 LHD.

If Jimmy could pull off a trade like this I'd be happy.

But could the 3 kamrats be talked into waiving for the sake of the team?

(hey, they might win a Cup!)
It would be nice to poach MTLs top 2 prospects in their stable. I'm pretty sure they might not be so inclined but making that trade would be a massive win for Jimmy
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

:wave:

sweet, getr done jimbo!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

:wave:

sweet, getr done jimbo!
So which twin do we screw over? If we are retaining salary then one gets paid by Montreal, and the other gets 50% paid by Vancouver. Taxes in Montreal are like 52% compared to 47% in Vancouver. Which twin is getting jacked out of $175K? :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote:I think maybe SJ knew we were pushed into a corner a bit on the expansion draft :?:
But we weren't though . Even if they had had protected Hansen the Canucks would have one of if not the scabbiest pools of players available for Vegas to pick from. Protect Hansen and expose Sutter - problem solved.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
But we weren't though . Even if they had had protected Hansen the Canucks would have one of if not the scabbiest pools of players available for Vegas to pick from. Protect Hansen and expose Sutter - problem solved.
F**KING WELL agree with that!!!!!
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

micky107 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Well I don't think I agree with that but the Nucks had already unloaded Burrows so we weren't in as dire straights as we were a day or two prior. I also have to believe that there would have been more demand for Hansen, as he was more of a hockey trade than a pure rental for a really decent , versatile player, at a cheap cap and not too far over the hill age. So I wouldn't think Jim was trapped in a corner but as usual we will never know what actually goes on behind the scenes.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rocky Dennis wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Well I don't think I agree with that
Neither do I... and I daresay most of Canuckdom would also not agree with Blob and Micky.
____
Try to focus on someday.