Ok Lurkers... step into the light...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Ok Lurkers... step into the light...

Post by sagebrush »

Strangelove wrote:
nuckster wrote:Haven't seen Rumsfeld around... not that I'm missing his presence (could never understand why a person chooses a handle like Rumsfeld?)

True story.

For his first few years he posted as Jovatuzzi at old Central.

Jovatuzzi talked straight hockey, never venturing into the wild Open Forum... until

... until the US Presidential Election of 2004. Image

See, at old Central, at the time, there was a...

R I D I C U L O U S L Y

... heated and rather humourous debate raging in the OF.

Jovatuzzi just couldn't resist wading in... albeit with the sock "Rumsfeld".

And voilà.... a legend was born! :mex:

The fact a mere ster such as yourself is still talking about him is a testament to his magnificence.

If you were a woman The Magnificent Rumsfeld would have had his way with you many years ago

... and you would be burning a candle for him to this day. Image

Unfortunately Rummy is in the witness protection program and as such can no longer post on Canuck boards.
^^

Reminds one of recent Oiler's management.

They seem to have suffered delusions of grandeur.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yes well let's not confuse "delusions of grandeur"... with grandeur. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Well DR. that's quite a story re: Rumsfeld. It's evident that you hold him in high regard. It's interesting to see how much people invest into a notion about who they think they are, or who we think others are. Truth is, you as a 'Dr S' handle are no more or less than anyone else in this poster world, as is your revered Rumsfeld.... no greater or lesser than a 'mere' Ster or anyone else.

When the conversation on this board moves away from hockey or the topic at hand, and personality boasting or ego 'pumping' or hard core slagging takes over, I find that I'm inclined to fade away into the background, and or find another topic to read. I'm 54, I have a family and a really busy professional career to contend with; I just couldn't be bothered to stick around. It's amazing how artificial the puter/blog world actually is. I recall a few years ago putting it out there for people to meet as real people at the Penticton young all-stars tournament - not a single taker... not one. Don't know about you, but I found that to be bizarre. My perception of canucks corner and the personalities that exist here, shifted.

So what am I saying? I'm supposing that there's legitimate reasons for why people prefer to be 'lurkers'. It' s great to be able to have fun and embrace some banter and ribbing, but i gave up hard-core pissing contests during my adolescence. I have nothing to prove to anyone here, and the inverse is true. Tell ya what though, I sure do appreciate being able to read the wide range of perspectives concerning all things canucks - am thankful for the posters here for that.
Cheers, Stu

My apologies for getting all serious on your ass, but I felt compelled. By the way, good Dr., I meant to offer you a compliment: You sir are blessed with an amazing ability to find facts and research your arguments - there's little doubt about the validity of the points you make , you've corrected me more than once over the years - well done! Now if you could just work your way past your Benning bias.
cc oldtimer
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

nuckster wrote:Well DR. that's quite a story re: Rumsfeld. It's evident that you hold him in high regard. It's interesting to see how much people invest into a notion about who they think they are, or who we think others are. Truth is, you as a 'Dr S' handle are no more or less than anyone else in this poster world, as is your revered Rumsfeld.... no greater or lesser than a 'mere' Ster or anyone else.

When the conversation on this board moves away from hockey or the topic at hand, and personality boasting or ego 'pumping' or hard core slagging takes over, I find that I'm inclined to fade away into the background, and or find another topic to read. I'm 54, I have a family and a really busy professional career to contend with; I just couldn't be bothered to stick around. It's amazing how artificial the puter/blog world actually is. I recall a few years ago putting it out there for people to meet as real people at the Penticton young all-stars tournament - not a single taker... not one. Don't know about you, but I found that to be bizarre. My perception of canucks corner and the personalities that exist here, shifted.

So what am I saying? I'm supposing that there's legitimate reasons for why people prefer to be 'lurkers'. It' s great to be able to have fun and embrace some banter and ribbing, but i gave up hard-core pissing contests during my adolescence. I have nothing to prove to anyone here, and the inverse is true. Tell ya what though, I sure do appreciate being able to read the wide range of perspectives concerning all things canucks - am thankful for the posters here for that.
Cheers, Stu
On that note, I will happily come out for another meet n greet :)

Hell, I'll even try and find another 'lost Mitten' on my way through Calgary and see if she gets us thrown out of Brandi's (is that place still open?!??) for jumping at the shiney chrome pole and peeling like a single mom paying the rent...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

All valid points nuckster - and I think we're all here for a variety of reasons.

A meetup would be fun - the savings alone from the senior's discounts would be HUGE! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Skriko
AHL Prospect

Post by Skriko »

rumsfeld, odb, lever, (and of course doc and HW) those were fun days at cc, i've lurked for too long...
Had a 10 game pack in 1987/88, I am a fan OK?
(and I watched GMJB play defense for us)
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, this thread is taking on a persona of it's own.
Must have misunderstood the purpose.
Oh well, what do I know?
Fun reading though...
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I find most of the shinnanagans around here fun and very entertaining. I have half a decade on ya nuckster . Have raised a family had and sold a successful business. Done the growing up maturity thing. I now try to stay young mentally , baseball really helps me, this place helps me....if I don't watch it the world wants nothing more for me than to be a cranky old man.

Fuckem I say.....but that's just me
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Madcombinepilot wrote:On that note, I will happily come out for another meet n greet :)

Hell, I'll even try and find another 'lost Mitten' on my way through Calgary and see if she gets us thrown out of Brandi's (is that place still open?!??) for jumping at the shiney chrome pole and peeling like a single mom paying the rent...
:mrgreen: Those were the glory days. I'll never forget the 2006 CCM&G. It was so legendary and unique you can't repeat it. I would say the right weirdos at the same place in time...

PS: the other Mitten has to be 10 years younger otherwise we won't even get in. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:On that note, I will happily come out for another meet n greet :)

:mrgreen: Those were the glory days. I'll never forget the 2006 CCM&G. It was so legendary and unique you can't repeat it. I would say the right weirdos at the same place in time...

PS: the other Mitten has to be 10 years younger otherwise we won't even get in. :lol:
10 years younger... nothing like a little pressure to perform!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Cookie La Rue wrote: :mrgreen: Those were the glory days. I'll never forget the 2006 CCM&G. It was so legendary and unique you can't repeat it. I would say the right weirdos at the same place in time...

Lol that turned out to be quite a night? Has there been a meet and great since? I left Vancouver the next year. Does anyone else who attended that meet and greet still post here? I remember the likes of Mattola, Mooger and Meerschaum (who paid more than his fair share that night at Brandis) attending but don't think any of them have posted since last decade! Any other long term corner posters still around?

As for me, I'm pretty much borderline lurker these days. Like many others, just don't have as much time as I used to. Been on canuckscorner since about 2000. Started posting quite a bit less when it essentially became canuckscentral.... Still some good hockey talk for sure but preferred when there were 2 sites.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hey Doc, what ever happened to The Thinker?

CFP and Coco are missed, along with the sparsely seen Lever
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Artie never made the migration, unfortunately, CFP appears now and then, Coco is tossing potato salad, Donny became too old for computer games.....
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Well DR. that's quite a story re: Rumsfeld. It's evident that you hold him in high regard. It's interesting to see how much people invest into a notion about who they think they are, or who we think others are. Truth is, you as a 'Dr S' handle are no more or less than anyone else in this poster world, as is your revered Rumsfeld.... no greater or lesser than a 'mere' Ster or anyone else.
*sigh*

Should have known a ster would only hear whoosh. :roll:

Should have known a ster would have missed that "Rumsfeld" is a character created by Jovatuzzi.

See Jovatuzzi, much like yourself, posted solely as his IRL self, sticking mostly with straight hockeytalk.

(might just as well called himself Jovster)

For years.

And then... suddenly... he had an epiphany!

YOU asked the question: "Why would a person choose a handle like 'Rumsfeld'"?

Do you think poster Rumsfeld talks to people IRL the way he does strangers online?

Did you think he wears a Donald Rumsfeld mask around town? :look:

NEWS FLASH: There's a whole world of fun whooshing around just over your head!

That's the problem with sters...
nuckster wrote: When the conversation on this board moves away from hockey or the topic at hand, and personality boasting or ego 'pumping' or hard core slagging takes over, I find that I'm inclined to fade away into the background
That's because You. Just. Don't. Get. It.
nuckster wrote: It's amazing how artificial the puter/blog world actually is. I recall a few years ago putting it out there for people to meet as real people at the Penticton young all-stars tournament - not a single taker... not one. Don't know about you, but I found that to be bizarre. My perception of canucks corner and the personalities that exist here, shifted.
Your problem is that you can't separate the real world from a fucking Canucks message board.

No one... these days... is looking for real-life friends on a fucking Canucks message board.
nuckster wrote: It' s great to be able to have fun and embrace some banter and ribbing, but i gave up hard-core pissing contests during my adolescence.
I think you're mistaking much of the "banter and ribbing" for "hard-core pissing contests".

whoosh

Very seldom does anyone here actually engage in "hard-core pissing contests"

And the ones that do... don't tend to last long.

For example I consider Blob as knowledgeable/awesome/fun as it gets around here

... and he knows I feel this way.

Is any of this getting through? :hmmm:
nuckster wrote: Tell ya what though, I sure do appreciate being able to read the wide range of perspectives concerning all things canucks - am thankful for the posters here for that.

... By the way, good Dr., I meant to offer you a compliment: You sir are blessed with an amazing ability to find facts and research your arguments - there's little doubt about the validity of the points you make , you've corrected me more than once over the years - well done!

Cheers, Stu
Thanks Stuster, it's important to keep our hockey facts straight

... but I wouldn't be here if it weren't for that whole world of fun you seem to be missing out on. :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rockalt wrote: Been on canuckscorner since about 2000. Started posting quite a bit less when it essentially became canuckscentral.... Still some good hockey talk for sure but preferred when there were 2 sites.
Here's another guy who Just. Doesn't. Get. It.

Next time whilst reading here you find yourself asking yourself "Are they serious??!!"

HERE'S A HINT: They're not. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.