WCH Discussion (Poll Q: Are you Looking Forward to the WCH?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Are you looking forward to the World Cup of Hockey?

Yes.
48%
No.
44%
Hell no!
8%

Total votes: 25

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: WCH Discussion (Poll Q: Are you Looking Forward to the W

Post by Mickey107 »

And Sedin, Eriksson, Sedin and Marky all get a 2 week flu on the plane to TO.
Oh, and Hansen steps on a bee in Denmark and needs 2 weeks off. (damn bugs)...
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Torts; If any of my players sit through the anthem, they will sit there all game.

Inviting controversy, no?
"evolution"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

This poll is interesting.

The usual complaint with International hockey is that it's not the best rosters competing, but injuries aside these are the best teams. When the Canada Cup used to come around it was a major event; everyone watched.

What has changed? Is it the slightly malodorous scent of a Bettman cash-grab?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Markstrom has looked good this period. He does have that Ben Bishop awkwardness about him but makes the save.
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Puck wrote:This poll is interesting.

The usual complaint with International hockey is that it's not the best rosters competing, but injuries aside these are the best teams. When the Canada Cup used to come around it was a major event; everyone watched.

Are you sure the Canada Cup was that popular back in the day? The first tournament final was watched by 10 million Canadians. But the 1981 was selling 300 tickets per game in Quebec City, the 1987 tournament didn't even sell out the final, and the 1991 tournament was, well, the last one.

Oddly, it looks like the 2004 WCOH was the most successful yet, going by attendance numbers. Probably influenced by the excellent Olympic Tournament in Salt Lake City.

But it looks to me like international "best on best" tournaments lost their popularity due to a few events in the late-70s:

- end of the WHA/NHL split
- end of Canada's boycott of the IIHF
- allowing pros to play in the World Championship
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ESQ wrote:
Puck wrote:This poll is interesting.

Are you sure the Canada Cup was that popular back in the day? The first tournament final was watched by 10 million Canadians. But the 1981 was selling 300 tickets per game in Quebec City, the 1987 tournament didn't even sell out the final, and the 1991 tournament was, well, the last one.

Oddly, it looks like the 2004 WCOH was the most successful yet, going by attendance numbers. Probably influenced by the excellent Olympic Tournament in Salt Lake City.

But it looks to me like international "best on best" tournaments lost their popularity due to a few events in the late-70s:

- end of the WHA/NHL split
- end of Canada's boycott of the IIHF
- allowing pros to play in the World Championship
The three game final of 1987 are three of the best hockey games ever played.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, it's a good thing all the players totally ran out of gas by the third period. (not up to speed yet).
Showed signs of getting pretty heated there for a while.
I guess Sweden and Finland are doing it one more time over there.
Bitter rivals they are.
But if you think about it; May only be warm-up games but when are the 4 teams involved today, (Finland vs Sweden)
(Russia vs Cheks), ever going to get a chance to see pretty much their best of the best go head to head, prime evening time, ever, anymore?
There's the Worlds in the spring but that's not all their best. No more Olympics, (S. Korea, what a insane, stupid idea that was), so the games weren't bad.
Eriksson had a lot of energy!
Some body call that guy and tell him not to stand in front of the net, (YET), geez...
"evolution"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Fair enough ESQ... I didn't research my post, it just 'felt' like everyone was interested at the time. Thing is, a kid's perspective on the excitement of an event might not reflect the general population. But I'm with Topper those '87 games were amazing...

Gretzky to Lemieux (with Larry Murphy as decoy)... goal and victory.

https://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/spot ... 0403.shtml
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sad to see that glorious, NHL ready facility in Quebec City rockin & rollin last night.
Maybe the NHL should truly think long term, (for the good of the league) and make that half a billion payable over seven years, interest free!
Have hockey in some of the cities it should be;
Quebec
Seattle
Southern Ontario
Portland, and so on.
Ever been to Glendale? That never was and never will work.
Vegas? Short term thinking just like Atlanta--twice.
Two teams in Florida? Surprised it's lasted this long.
Sorry, rambling..

Those N. American babies will take this tournament if the officiating is called to the letter..... :hmmm:
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:The three game final of 1987 are three of the best hockey games ever played.
I definitely don't dispute that.

And all I have to go on are Wikipedia's attendance figures for the games, but the semifinal Canada vs. Czechoslovakia only had 10,000 people in stands at the Montreal Forum.

There have been instances where summertime hockey has been absolutely fantastic (i.e. Summit Series), my point is just that it usually didn't capture the public imagination at the time of broadcast.

My recollection (which only goes as far back as the last Canada Cup and the first WCOH) was that a lot of people were asking what's the point, much as we're hearing today about the current incarnation.

But the nostalgia we're seeing (including on this Esteemed Board) I think demonstrates the point and appeal of these types of competitions.

Hell, Micky "Hell No!" 107 is even watching the preliminary games!

And as far as the stank of the Bettman cash-grab impacting the appeal of this tournament, I think the stank of the Eagleson embezzlement was a little gnarlier.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Yeah, I, as always, forgot how totally BAD TV viewing in September is.. :oops:
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Well, I have watched a couple of these games, and the NA vs Europe was an awesome game.. Fast, hits, saves..

Totally not what I expected! These guys are playing for something.. Not sure what, but they are playing.. Even the Sweden/Finland game was ok.. I was expecting a more 'all star' atmosphere, but I am pleasantly surprised
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Well, I have watched a couple of these games, and the NA vs Europe was an awesome game.. Fast, hits, saves..

Totally not what I expected! These guys are playing for something.. Not sure what, but they are playing.. Even the Sweden/Finland game was ok.. I was expecting a more 'all star' atmosphere, but I am pleasantly surprised
Sweden/Finland has become the biggest rivalry on the other side of the ocean.
They got one more;
I hope NO injuries for Canucks...
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

You mean I get the opportunity to root for a team with the likes of Crosby and Stamkos and Toews and Taveres etc on it?..

Count me in!

Take care....
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Y'all know that the real World Cup-thread is here right?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10600
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.