Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by 2Fingers »

It’s like watching a foreign movie with sub titles typed up by a ESL person.

For the rest of us I will interpetate.

Eat right, gain weight, keep speed and mobility

Fast
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 am It’s like watching a foreign movie with sub titles typed up by a ESL person.

Fast
Thanks that clears everything up. I was having problem with that other stuff before your post.

Makes me glad we never drafted a Gretzky or Yserman. Them runts would never survive the NHL.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 am Makes me glad we never drafted a Gretzky or Yserman. Them runts would never survive the NHL.
I have already commented on the unusual nature of Gretzky's career:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10968&p=299841&hili ... ky#p299841

Do you imagine those conditions will obtain for a Vancouver player ?
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

No problem he's wiry.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 am It’s like watching a foreign movie with sub titles typed up by a ESL person.

Fast
I actually find the discussion very interesting and well stated.

Not really confusing at all outside of why you felt the need to slag a decently intelligent conversation that's actually very relevant to the thread and several of our prospects!

I honestly think everyone is right with their stated opinions. Elias can definitely put on 10lbs of muscle with hard work but he needs to be careful that its the right type of muscle mass. It's a fine balance because EP has some amazing skill, quickness, dexterity and what seems to be a very fine touch. By putting on bulk some of those attributes may lag behind until his body catches up!

This is what makes hockey such a unique sport, you need the strength to handle body contact but you also need to maintain your speed and quickness. This isn't easy and requires a very strict regime of diet and exercise.

DHA - I've see the Delta Hockey Academy play at Planet Ice in Delta before my beer league games on occasion. That's some good hockey! Those kids are quick. It's pretty cool having these elite high school hockey programs these days, never had these when i was a kid. I'd wager a guess that because of these academies we may see some really good hockey players come out of BC more often.

Carry on gents!! :thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey is a sprint sport, 30-40 second duration shifts, hard as you can, 2-5 minute rests between.

Sprints, sprints, sprints, sprints. squats, sprints.

Strength with foot speed is the key.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

DHA, I appreciate the firsthand reports - as someone who stays far, far away from gyms fill of professional athletes, I find it very cool to hear what it's like!

But looking at Rasmussen specifically, he was listed at 6'6/220 when drafted. If he got up to 235 in the off-season, I still consider that a big change.

But when I check out his stats, he doesn't seem to have progressed at all, even though he's 19, a giant, and still playing in junior. Last year he had 32g/55pts in 50gp. This year he has 29g/56pts in 45gp. Obviously not a regression, but that has to be a disappointing season for a 19 year old 10th overall still playing in junior.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

Not really confusing at all outside of why you felt the need to slag a decently intelligent conversation that's actually very relevant to the thread and several of our prospects!

LOL - I am not slagging it, maybe I am supposed to put it in GREEN so you take it tongue in cheek?. I also thought it was a great discussion from 2 knowledgeable posters, I also liked the direct references to what they have seen with existing hockey players.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

ESQ wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 pm DHA, I appreciate the firsthand reports - as someone who stays far, far away from gyms fill of professional athletes, I find it very cool to hear what it's like!

But looking at Rasmussen specifically, he was listed at 6'6/220 when drafted. If he got up to 235 in the off-season, I still consider that a big change.

But when I check out his stats, he doesn't seem to have progressed at all, even though he's 19, a giant, and still playing in junior. Last year he had 32g/55pts in 50gp. This year he has 29g/56pts in 45gp. Obviously not a regression, but that has to be a disappointing season for a 19 year old 10th overall still playing in junior.
Razzy's knock going into the draft was he got a ton of points on the power play. Despite this Detroit is very high on this guy still - it's the physical package he has that is so enticing. If your watching the Tri City Americans check out the 2001 kid who has been playing on his line the last couple of weeks. Sasha Mutala (BWC) - he may go in the first round next year.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 pm LOL - I am not slagging it, maybe I am supposed to put it in GREEN so you take it tongue in cheek?. I also thought it was a great discussion from 2 knowledgeable posters, I also liked the direct references to what they have seen with existing hockey players.
Good idea, cause I obviously missed the tongue in cheekness of your response.

You're cooperation is much appreciated! :P
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

Fast

I honestly think everyone is right with their stated opinions. Elias can definitely put on 10lbs of muscle with hard work but he needs to be careful that its the right type of muscle mass. It's a fine balance because EP has some amazing skill, quickness, dexterity and what seems to be a very fine touch. By putting on bulk some of those attributes may lag behind until his body catches up!

This is what makes hockey such a unique sport, you need the strength to handle body contact but you also need to maintain your speed and quickness. This isn't easy and requires a very strict regime of diet and exercise.

DHA - I've see the Delta Hockey Academy play at Planet Ice in Delta before my beer league games on occasion. That's some good hockey! Those kids are quick. It's pretty cool having these elite high school hockey programs these days, never had these when i was a kid. I'd wager a guess that because of these academies we may see some really good hockey players come out of BC more often.

Carry on gents!! :thumbs:
Academies have changed the hockey landscape particularly in BC and now moving more into Alberta. Alberta always had good Bantam teams because they would operate like MML in BC. They would pull kids from a region like GVC MML pulls from Delta Richmond and Vancouver, that allows you to create a really good team and league. BC started to add academies with no boundaries... players essentially follow the coaching for development. Most Academies have players on ice 4-5 times a week plus dryland. Concentrating the talent in the CSSHL along with Coaches that "coach" for a living makes for some great development. The first strong wave will be in next years draft in Vancouver as you see a bunch of top talent get called possibly two kids in top 10 from B.C.

This year Ty Smith may go top 10 and played his Bantam at DHA - his character is on par with his game. Kid would get up early on road trips, eat his breakfast and start loading bags on the bus for his teammates. Was like another coach in the room.

Next Year - Cozens/Byram/Mutala/Willliams all kids that played in BC are going to be drafted first couple of rounds. BC and Alberta are going to be producing some top talent in the years to come because of the CSSHL. The hockey infrastructure is better than it has ever been right now in both Provinces.

Yes the facilities at Planet Ice have been improved the kids can now store their gear all week at the practice facility instead of carrying their bags each practice! Much better.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am I actually find the discussion very interesting and well stated.
Agreed, I'm loving the back and forth...

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am Carry on gents!! :thumbs:
Seconded.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

DHA wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pm This year Ty Smith may go top 10 and played his Bantam at DHA - his character is on par with his game. Kid would get up early on road trips, eat his breakfast and start loading bags on the bus for his teammates. Was like another coach in the room.

Next Year - Cozens/Byram/Mutala/Willliams all kids that played in BC are going to be drafted first couple of rounds. BC and Alberta are going to be producing some top talent in the years to come because of the CSSHL. The hockey infrastructure is better than it has ever been right now in both Provinces.
This is awesome and extremely encouraging, it really goes to show you what proper development and quality coaching can do for kids and prospects!

I can see the attraction for NHL teams to draft players who have graduated form these programs, they'll be far more likely to respond to teaching and constructive criticism because they've been exposed to it for years already. Likely lead to more successful development programs even at the NHL level.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 pm DHA, I appreciate the firsthand reports - as someone who stays far, far away from gyms fill of professional athletes, I find it very cool to hear what it's like!

Are you disappointed in Rasmussen ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”