Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by rats19 »

Great report uw... much appreciated
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

My concerns from seeing him at the WJC are real, thanks UW.

That Jr/College fancy will get flattened at the NHL level. I suspect a few deer in headlights moments as he learns the pace of the NHL game.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:26 am Almost half an hour!!!!! Ends with: Gonna have a little talk with Louis Eriksson about his production. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hopefully it's my "31 teams" conversation :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

1 good thing that has come out of his foot injury, which doesn't look to be too severe, is that it gives all parties an excuse to keep him in the press for for a few games. That alone should help him see what parts of his game that he needs to adapt to be successful at the NHL. Also will give him more time to practice with the team and slowly grow into his new challenge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Thx UW
It would be nice for Hughes to get some games so some of his warts are exposed and he goes into the offseason knowing what he has to work on.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Skip the first two games and then the back-to-back road trip in a couple week. Let him stay in Vancouver and get set up in the city while the others play. If he misses those four games he can play the remained which are all at home except the last two games of the year, so he won't have to travel at all and can work with staff to start a development plan for whatever they want him to work on over the summer.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 am My concerns from seeing him at the WJC are real, thanks UW.

That Jr/College fancy will get flattened at the NHL level. I suspect a few deer in headlights moments as he learns the pace of the NHL game.
I'm still very encouraged by his play at the World Championship last year before the draft. For a freewheeling teenage defenseman, to be on the ice for zero goals against is very impressive to me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 am You can’t have 3rd round picks with their first good season in college hockey dictating terms. Having him finish up in the AHL would be the norm for most if not all other teams. Gaudette, Hughes and Boeser were way different situations as they were dominant players in college. I have no idea what the thought process was with Griffin Molino.

Elmer is handling this correctly.
Lockwood needs to get off his high horse, exactly, he ain't a Boeser or a Hughes, he needs AHL time to play his game, he might not even have to play a full AHL season next yr if he plays well ala Gaud.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 am You can’t have 3rd round picks with their first good season in college hockey dictating terms. Having him finish up in the AHL would be the norm for most if not all other teams. Gaudette, Hughes and Boeser were way different situations as they were dominant players in college. I have no idea what the thought process was with Griffin Molino.

Lockwood needs to get off his high horse, exactly, he ain't a Boeser or a Hughes, he needs AHL time to play his game, he might not even have to play a full AHL season next yr if he plays well ala Gaud.
I think what he’s trying to decide is this. Is one more year in college a better path to development than one year in Utica, at this point. But at least Benning is being up front. So maybe it’s more about not getting to burn a year on his ELC.

Maybe a year in Michigan, more practice time, more off ice workout time, is preferred over a year in Utica. At least he is talking to his coaches which says he’s trying to get perspective.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am

I think what he’s trying to decide is this. Is one more year in college a better path to development than one year in Utica, at this point. But at least Benning is being up front. So maybe it’s more about not getting to burn a year on his ELC.

Maybe a year in Michigan, more practice time, more off ice workout time, is preferred over a year in Utica. At least he is talking to his coaches which says he’s trying to get perspective.
Or at 21 yrs of age this summer, in theory he should be ready for at least half a season in Utica & he'll likely get some NHL duty next season as well later on, imo that would be better for his pro development, plus signing that ELC in the offseason would be nice cash wise.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 am Skip the first two games and then the back-to-back road trip in a couple week. Let him stay in Vancouver and get set up in the city while the others play. If he misses those four games he can play the remained which are all at home except the last two games of the year, so he won't have to travel at all and can work with staff to start a development plan for whatever they want him to work on over the summer.
This shouldn’t be an issue. If for any reason he plays more than 10 games, heads should and likely will roll. I don’t care if he’s got a broken foot or a hang nail, it’s the height of stupidity if this happens.

I’m anxious to see him play. He’s going to take some lumps defensively but you can’t teach skill, speed and creativity and he has all three in spades.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not disagreeing Skyo. What I heard over the weekend was that he was very disappointed that the Canucks wouldn’t give him a chance to burn a year. If that true, going the UFA route doesn’t change that. In fact it would add a year to the process. What the Canucks have told him is if he goes back to NCAA they will sign him as soon as his season is done and he can burn a year next year. So signing with Vancouver will still be his fastest route to burning a year, it just won’t be this year.

Coming off a major injury last year slowed his development. I think he’d be wise to sign now, go to Utica and get his feet wet there. Come to camp and show you belong in the NHL. But it’s in his court. If he wants to go UFA and then find a team willing to commit to him good luck. He will still have to make the team out of camp.

On an other note did you catch Benning say they had spoken to a number of college UFAs and are hopeful to get a Dman signed soon.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:26 am Almost half an hour!!!!! Ends with: Gonna have a little talk with Louis Eriksson about his production. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I liked how Benning said he’d talk to Ericksson and the coaching staff and see where he fits moving forward. Wonder why he hasn’t been tried with Pettersson for a long stretch?

But whatever, it sounds like Benning is prepared to move on, which is a good thing.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:27 am

Coming off a major injury last year slowed his development. I think he’d be wise to sign now, go to Utica and get his feet wet there. Come to camp and show you belong in the NHL. But it’s in his court. If he wants to go UFA and then find a team willing to commit to him good luck. He will still have to make the team out of camp.
100%. This is why we have prospects camp, young stars tourney and main camp. So young rookies make the team instead of being gifted a spot.

I don't mind when exceptional players get a "free look" for the last 10 games, but Quinn Will have to make the team out of camp next year, just like Pettersson and Boesser and Gaudette all had to go through the process (weather they make it or not)

I don't mind getting excited for youth onto the team, but we are already pushing a whack of rookies and youth through the team already this year, and the oilers prove you cant take too many at the same time without imploding. Petterson, Demko, Dipetro, Hughes, McEwan, Gaudette, Sautner and Brisebois (probably forgot some) are all rookies who have had a look this year, with 4 or 5 of them getting a long look for the rest of the year. Coupled with all the second year players in the lineup (or equivalents like Goldobin), we are nearing that threshold of too much youth at once. This is why strong character guys who are a bit older (ie. Beagle) are keys on the team for the net couple years.

Patience and development are the key. Remember how powerful Detroit was when they would let their rookies stew in the minors for an extra year or so?? If we can overload Utica with 5-6 rookies again this year, we will have a serious youth movement underway that will be sustainable for a while..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 am Skip the first two games and then the back-to-back road trip in a couple week. Let him stay in Vancouver and get set up in the city while the others play. If he misses those four games he can play the remained which are all at home except the last two games of the year, so he won't have to travel at all and can work with staff to start a development plan for whatever they want him to work on over the summer.
This shouldn’t be an issue. If for any reason he plays more than 10 games, heads should and likely will roll. I don’t care if he’s got a broken foot or a hang nail, it’s the height of stupidity if this happens.

I’m anxious to see him play. He’s going to take some lumps defensively but you can’t teach skill, speed and creativity and he has all three in spades.
Ya the kid can fly. The growing pains are a guarantee though but who cares....just imagine brock and petey waiting for his dishes with sticks cocked
If you need air...call it in