Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot, one of these days you're gonna hafta tell us how you really feel about Gaunce! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm Madcombinepilot, one of these days you're gonna hafta tell us how you really feel about Gaunce! :lol:
Lol. Yeah... perhaps. Good kid, shitty NHL'r.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 pm All the Canucks wingers:

Eriksson (big cash)

The new reliable depth vets:
Roussel, Schaller.

Experienced young vets: Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen(already! wow but still a young 21 year old #crazy [almost 22 yes]) Brendan Gaunce - the forgotten one (always has good metrics, big boy, has decent AHL stats and a ton of shots) decent depth guy to have around on "the fifth line" the 5th line should be Leipsic, Gaudette, Gaunce and Archi.

The unproven:
Dahlen, Leipsic, Goldobin.

The recent draftees: Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Palmu, Jasek, Manukyan.

Now if we are going with potential, I'd say Dahlen, Virtanen and Goldy have the most upside of the bunch.

Nikolay Goldobin
towards the end of the season starting going buck wild with scoring chances like a hornet buzzing around the net, his confidence was high and he was feeling it & Green was rewarding that as he was getting basically 4th line minutes then went to 3rd line minutes, and lets not forget - dude almost has a point per game in the AHL with (52g, 73a) 125 points in 148 games, he's the type that all he needs is a chance and confidence to blossom - akin to Jonathan Marchessault who was stuck behind "depth".

Leipsic is the perfect depth guy, plays a fast game, has some grit in his lil bod', and can pop in some goals.

Granlund is a superb 200ft guy, reliable, Green loves to use him on the penalty kill unit and he has an underappreciated scoring ability, but he's stuck in that defensive role, so he just has to use any little offensive chances he can get to start sniping in some goals.

Dahlen
carried his squad in SM-Liiga, basically took the whole Timra team on his back and hauled them into the SHL next season, you can even see that aggressive play in his short stint in Utica, he plays fearless and attacks the net with authority to get goals. Dahlen and Boeser will likely be our best scoring wingers long term.

Honestly I'd say we should try to move Eriksson for anything cheap, just for the roster space. I think he'd waive to play with his fave coach Claude Julien on the Habs. I mean Granlund can do what Eriksson does (200ft game) just for millions cheaper.

Up front overall - Eriksson and Gagner imo should be moved out to allow these younger guys a legitimate chance to play some meaningful minutes, they are made expendable thanks to signing 3 ultra depth vets in Roussel, Beagle and Schaller, plus Pettersson and Gaudette makes Gagner moveable.
So you're convinced they will use Pettersson as a center?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Per wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:21 pm So you're convinced they will use Pettersson as a center?
They will, maybe not right off the bat but by mid-season he should be being groomed for the center role, it's a key position for the Canucks long term success plan.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Benning, on air, did say, "sooner than later". ;)
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

In the long run I think Dahlen and Gadjovich have the most potential to be top 9 LWers, but they need to earn it starting in Utica. If they can, they will displace Eriksson over time. No rush to move him out as the other challengers for LW aren’t likely to be much better (Gaunce, Gagner, Goldobin, Leipsic, Archibald). Of course, if someone offers anything significant for Eriksson you take it, but that probably won’t happen. If all the rookies make it, a future top nine might possibly be:

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Gadjovich Gaudette Lind/Palmu

But they need to earn it, which will take a while. The biggest question is whether Pettersson can become a legitimate number one centre. If he can, most of the rebuild up front may already be done as far as drafting players. They only need to be developed. If he can’t, the rebuild continues at the Vancouver draft, which seems to have a lot of highly regarded centres.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If Pettersson and Dahlén both make the team, it could be handy having a Swedish vet around to help them get acclimatized. Not saying he's the best option, just the only option right now. With 2 potential top 6 forwards coming over from a different culture and leagues, then I would hope Eriksson will help them adjust to the NHL game that much quicker.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm If Pettersson and Dahlén both make the team, it could be handy having a Swedish vet around to help them get acclimatized. Not saying he's the best option, just the only option right now. With 2 potential top 6 forwards coming over from a different culture and leagues, then I would hope Eriksson will help them adjust to the NHL game that much quicker.
I'd rather keep him and his "7 hits in a season" work ethic as far away as possible from the impressionable young players thank you.

Ya ya 200 ft game blah blah blah.

Whatever man...pack yer shit Loui...time to get the fuck out
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm If Pettersson and Dahlén both make the team, it could be handy having a Swedish vet around to help them get acclimatized. Not saying he's the best option, just the only option right now. With 2 potential top 6 forwards coming over from a different culture and leagues, then I would hope Eriksson will help them adjust to the NHL game that much quicker.
Edler is also there to help out, along with Markstrom and Nilsson. A few Swedes still on the team even without Loui though none play forward of course.

I think if you could anything for Loui now you do it - highly unlikely it happens though, we are probably stuck with him for at least another few years barring a swap of him for another terrible contract. Probably not worth it, we are stuck with him.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Oh yeah.... Forgot about the goalies.... :/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm Image
:lol:

Hes got about as much grit as that cum sock under the dudes bed
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm
I'd rather keep him and his "7 hits in a season" work ethic as far away as possible from the impressionable young players thank you.

Ya ya 200 ft game blah blah blah.

Whatever man...pack yer shit Loui...time to get the fuck out
2 more seasons with his NTC: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

Unless he really starts badly and the club decides to scratch or waivers,looks like he aint goin nowhere
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:06 am
2 more seasons with his NTC: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

Unless he really starts badly and the club decides to scratch or waivers,looks like he aint goin nowhere
Too late :evil:

Oh you mean only this year i suppose. Lol
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One thing we all overlook is that with the Sedins and Vanek gone, Eriksson can go back to his "office" around the net and get his powerplay time back, back to where he can get 25-30 goals he's proven he can do when given the proper coaching *cough* Newell Brown.

And if Loui can score 25+ goals per year the next couple seasons all while being his ultra dependable 200ft 6'2 self, his trade value goes back up again just in time when his NTC becomes modified in July 2020.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.