Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Brogan Rafferty was selected to the AHL all rookie team today.
RAFFERTY NAMED TO AHL ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

MAY 19, 2020

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The American Hockey League has announced the 2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team, as voted by coaches, players and media in each of the league’s 31 member cities.

2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team
Goaltender - Cayden Primeau, Laval Rocket (33gp, 17-11-3, 2.45gaa, .908sv%, 4so)
Defenseman - Joey Keane, Hartford Wolf Pack/Charlotte Checkers (58gp, 9+28=37pts., 1 PPG, 1 GWG)
Defenseman - Brogan Rafferty, Utica Comets (57gp, 7+38=45pts., +17, 3 PPG)
Forward - Alex Formenton, Belleville Senators (61gp, 27+26=53pts., +8, 7 PPG, 5 GWG)
Forward - Josh Norris, Belleville Senators (56gp, 31+30=61pts., +9, 10 PPG, 4 GWG)
Forward - Jack Studnicka, Providence Bruins (60gp, 23+26=49pts., +9, 3 PPG, 7 SHG)

Each player will receive a custom-designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the 2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team.

The 2019-20 First and Second AHL All-Star Teams will be announced on Wednesday.

2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team

Cayden Primeau, Goaltender (Laval Rocket):
Turning pro in 2019-20 after two seasons at Northeastern University, Cayden Primeau appeared in 33 games for Laval and posted a record of 17-11-3 while leading all AHL rookies with a 2.45 goals-against average. Primeau, who also had a .908 save percentage and four shutouts with the Rocket, made his NHL debut with Montreal on Dec. 5 vs. Colorado and earned his first NHL victory with a 35-save effort vs. Ottawa on Dec. 11. Primeau, a 20-year-old native of Voorhees, N.J., was drafted by the Canadiens in the seventh round in 2017.

Joey Keane, Defenseman (Hartford Wolf Pack/Charlotte Checkers):
Joey Keane skated in 58 AHL games between Hartford and Charlotte in 2019-20, totaling nine goals and 28 assists for 37 points while earning a trip to the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic. Originally a third-round pick by the New York Rangers in the 2018 NHL Draft, Keane was acquired by the Carolina Hurricanes on Feb. 18 and amassed seven points in nine games after joining the Checkers. The 20-year-old native of Chicago, Ill., played three seasons of major junior in the OHL with Barrie and London.

Brogan Rafferty, Defenseman (Utica Comets):
Brogan Rafferty had a standout 2019-20 season with Utica, placing third among all AHL defensemen in scoring with 45 points and first among all league rookies with 38 assists. The 24-year-old native of Naperville, Ill., also posted a plus-17 rating in 57 games and contributed 20 points on a Comets power play that ranked fourth in the AHL. Rafferty signed as a free agent with Vancouver on April 1, 2019, and appeared in two NHL games with the Canucks last season.

Alex Formenton, Forward (Belleville Senators):
A second-round pick by Ottawa in the 2017 NHL Draft, Alex Formenton scored 27 goals and added 26 assists for 53 points in 61 games for Belleville in his first full pro season. The 20-year-old native of Barrie, Ont., finished second among league rookies in both goals and points, helping the Senators claim the highest-scoring offense in the AHL. Formenton played his junior hockey with London in the Ontario Hockey League and won gold with Canada at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Josh Norris, Forward (Belleville Senators):
The league leader among rookies with 31 goals and 61 points in 56 games this season, Josh Norris paced Belleville’s offense and was the only rookie in the AHL to average better than a point per game in 2019-20. The 21-year-old native of Oxford, Mich., also made his NHL debut with Ottawa on Feb. 22 and appeared in three games with the parent Senators. Norris was a first-round choice (19th overall) by San Jose in the 2017 NHL Draft, and was acquired by Ottawa in a trade on Sept. 13, 2018.

Jack Studnicka, Forward (Providence Bruins):
Boston’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, Jack Studnicka led the Atlantic Division champion Providence Bruins in goals (23), assists (26) and points (49) while skating in 60 games in 2019-20. The 21-year-old native of Tecumseh, Ont., also tied an AHL rookie record with seven shorthanded goals, and picked up an assist in his NHL debut with Boston on Nov. 26 at Montreal. Studnicka played four seasons of junior hockey with Oshawa and Niagara (OHL), totaling 233 points in 252 games.

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/ ... Pc9zszN4bg
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Quinn keeps breaking records...
Quinn Hughes becomes the first defenceman to lead all NHL rookies in points since Brian Leetch in 1988-89
via sportsnet
#Canucks
Quinn Hughes wins #NHL rookie scoring race (53 PTS) & also finishes tied for 4th in points by a defenseman.

Hughes is just 3rd blue-liner in @Canucks
history to finish in Top 5 of scoring among D-men.

1972: Jocelyn Guervremont (4th-51pts)

1971: Dale Talon (3rd-56pts)

via Joey Kenward
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 pm Quinn keeps breaking records...
Quinn Hughes becomes the first defenceman to lead all NHL rookies in points since Brian Leetch in 1988-89
via sportsnet
#Canucks
Quinn Hughes wins #NHL rookie scoring race (53 PTS) & also finishes tied for 4th in points by a defenseman.

Hughes is just 3rd blue-liner in @Canucks
history to finish in Top 5 of scoring among D-men.

1972: Jocelyn Guervremont (4th-51pts)

1971: Dale Talon (3rd-56pts)

via Joey Kenward
Yet he still wont win the calder.

I bet 10 years from now Hughes is the better asset
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

He will win the Calder - Makar had a great season, but in the past - voting doesn't seem to include "lost points" from injury/absence. At least from what I can tell, they figure he might have gotten points in those games, but might not have... won't factor into it.

Hughes played more games, got more points, played more minutes per game etc. I think that's enough for Van to have back to back Calder winners (even that might be a factor for).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:09 pm He will win the Calder - Makar had a great season, but in the past - voting doesn't seem to include "lost points" from injury/absence. At least from what I can tell, they figure he might have gotten points in those games, but might not have... won't factor into it.

Hughes played more games, got more points, played more minutes per game etc. I think that's enough for Van to have back to back Calder winners (even that might be a factor for).
Plus Makar is playing with a more proven team - their young guns having years of experience under their belt (MacK, Rantanen, Landeskog etc)

While Quinn Hughes is playing with a younger team, one that hasn't yet proven themselves just yet - and the team has exceeded expectations from last year with the help of the electric bolt QH has provided on defense.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

KOLE LIND.
14 goals, 44 points, and a newfound confidence as one of the team's go-to guys. It's no wonder why Kole Lind has earned this year's Ian Anderson Award as the Most Improved Player.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:28 pm KOLE LIND.
14 goals, 44 points, and a newfound confidence as one of the team's go-to guys. It's no wonder why Kole Lind has earned this year's Ian Anderson Award as the Most Improved Player.
Even in THE last game of the season..Rafferty had a wee helper there too.

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Podkolzin highlights

https://streamable.com/5xi24b
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

It sure looks like Makar will win the Calder this year and if I'm being totally objective, have to agree. He's just as dynamic on the offensive side of things as Hughes but also has a little pop back physically which tilts it for me.

Too bad for the kid but it will help next summer with the contract numbers I guess
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 am It sure looks like Makar will win the Calder this year and if I'm being totally objective, have to agree. He's just as dynamic on the offensive side of things as Hughes but also has a little pop back physically which tilts it for me.

Too bad for the kid but it will help next summer with the contract numbers I guess
Ya, maybe.. Pound for pound though? Guess not. They cant have the same GM winning two years in a row. Would be deriding to the others.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gonna be close for Makar vs Hughes, both franchise dmen...either way glad we finally got an all-star dman capable of piling up points and helping the team win......now lets get to the playoffs!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hughes made his team better more than Makar did. Therefore Hughes was more valuable to his teams success than was Makar. Therefore Hughes should win the Calder. But biased homerism from the strong homer Canadian contingent in the voting process will vote for a Canadian over an American. That there is the difference maker
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am Gonna be close for Makar vs Hughes, both franchise dmen...either way glad we finally got an all-star dman capable of piling up points and helping the team win......now lets get to the playoffs!!!
^this^

What we have is our very first Norris calibre dman. Its going to be fun to watch this group mature into a top 3 team. Its coming...

Chef Makar is the better scorer too. Its his trophy
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Apparently Petey didn't make some Sportsnet top sixteen centers list. Bias against Hughes as well.

The audio:

http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_dem ... erview.mp3
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

..Quinn Hughes is getting the nod by most for the Calder. Still very close but looks good.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... rds-races/

Friedman...
It came down to: Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar.
It’s close, but I voted for Hughes. One of the recent criticisms of my voting — which I agree with and try to address — is that I have a confirmation bias for those who play on Canadian teams. It’s not that I favour these players, but I watch them much more so it can skew my perspective for better or worse.
On my ballot, Makar is not being punished for playing on a better team. As mentioned with MacKinnon, the Avalanche were walking wounded all season. He’s their second-leading scorer, he’s a terrific player, and he played a big role there.
But Hughes elevated the Canucks. Jacob Markstrom was their MVP, but Hughes drove the bus on the ice. Every Canucks game I watched next to Kelly Hrudey saw the ex-goalie hypnotized by two things: the arrival of late-night pizza and Hughes’ passing ability. The eight Canucks who played more than 200 five-on-five minutes with him saw their shot attempts drop when he wasn’t on the ice, while six of them had a higher goals-for percentage with Hughes than without him.
He had a huge impact on that team.
"evolution"