Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 pm Lockwood contemplating returning to NCAA for one more year. Does this mean he’s going to go UFA route?
Interesting - did you hear the Friedman report or was there somewhere else you heard it as well? He’s not a top prospect by any means but if he doesn’t sign this offseason you have to trade him for whatever you can get, can’t lose him for nothing.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 pm Lockwood contemplating returning to NCAA for one more year. Does this mean he’s going to go UFA route?
Oh crap! That's not good. Personally, I think that's a tad risky on his part. Shake your head, Will...
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think it's posturing. Benning wants him in Utica on an ATO. Lockwood wants his NHL contract. I think if that's the real stumbling block Benning gives in. Hell, look at some of the colleges guys he signed and were bust but he gave them a chance.

I can imagine the conversation went something like this:

JB: Ya so like we think Will will help Utica in their playoff run and like so we think like its good fit for now. So like how about ATO and Will can help Utica go all the way.

Lockwood Advisor: Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Well like so we think he still needs to develop and like so Utica is the best place for him and then he can come to camp like to earn a job.

LA:Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Like so what is it with young players today that don't want to earn a roster spot and they think everything should be handed to them.

LA: Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Well like let's sit on it for 24-48 hours and then we can revisit it.

LA: Thats great. Oh, and did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

The other issue I heard was that Benning has to be mindful of his available contracts and once Hughes is signed he only has 3 left, I think. He has a list of college UFA's that'd he'd like to go after. So perhaps the thinking is either, they are not sold that Lockwood is ready for the NHL,If ever, or they think he is but they want to save a contract spot just in case.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah shit, if Lockwood goes back I don’t think we stand a chance if he is free to sign wherever. Benning is in a tough spot
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:28 am I think it's posturing. Benning wants him in Utica on an ATO. Lockwood wants his NHL contract. I think if that's the real stumbling block Benning gives in. Hell, look at some of the colleges guys he signed and were bust but he gave them a chance.

I can imagine the conversation went something like this:

JB: Ya so like we think Will will help Utica in their playoff run and like so we think like its good fit for now. So like how about ATO and Will can help Utica go all the way.

Lockwood Advisor: Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Well like so we think he still needs to develop and like so Utica is the best place for him and then he can come to camp like to earn a job.

LA:Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Like so what is it with young players today that don't want to earn a roster spot and they think everything should be handed to them.

LA: Oh, did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

JB: Well like let's sit on it for 24-48 hours and then we can revisit it.

LA: Thats great. Oh, and did we forget to tell you that Will is contemplating return to Michigan next season?

The other issue I heard was that Benning has to be mindful of his available contracts and once Hughes is signed he only has 3 left, I think. He has a list of college UFA's that'd he'd like to go after. So perhaps the thinking is either, they are not sold that Lockwood is ready for the NHL,If ever, or they think he is but they want to save a contract spot just in case.
True regarding the contract limit, though I believe that contracts slide to next year unless the player actually plays a game for the Canucks this season. I may be wrong about that but that’s what I thought. I’m not sure there are too many FAs out there that are good enough to insert into the lineup, even with the team as bad as it is.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:17 am Yeah shit, if Lockwood goes back I don’t think we stand a chance if he is free to sign wherever. Benning is in a tough spot
In addition the whole "pay your dues" approach used with Dahlen goes out the window. So College players can hold the club hostage but Euros cannot? Two sets of rules. It applies to all teams but GMJB sort of set a precident so to speak with Dahlen.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don't know why William Lockwood trynna be like that, I mean Tyler Motte did better than him in college, Lockwood is a lock to be either a 4th or 3rd liner in the NHL, might as well learn the pro 2way game in Utica right now.

Lockwood:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=177811

Motte:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=145528
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:18 pm Don't know why William Lockwood trynna be like that, I mean Tyler Motte did better than him in college, Lockwood is a lock to be either a 4th or 3rd liner in the NHL, might as well learn the pro 2way game in Utica right now.

Lockwood:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=177811

Motte:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=145528
Ya, and young Mr Lockwood knows that an injury can happen. He knows very well. He is very lucky. Shoulda been an omen?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Carlyee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:17 am Yeah shit, if Lockwood goes back I don’t think we stand a chance if he is free to sign wherever. Benning is in a tough spot
In addition the whole "pay your dues" approach used with Dahlen goes out the window. So College players can hold the club hostage but Euros cannot? Two sets of rules. It applies to all teams but GMJB sort of set a precident so to speak with Dahlen.
And we all know why NCAA players have this leverage. But if they are not good enough they will be buried in the AHL. So ya two sets of rules for the promising elite out of college but it’s temporary, once the season is done their leverage is gone.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I hate waiting. Patients aint never been one of my fortes, Damn it..Image
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Do we have roster room for both Hughes and Lockwood? Maybe that’s a problem. I guess we could return Brisbois.

Re: Hughes, he’s said yes. We should get an announcement today. Flight will be booked for Monday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:07 pm Do we have roster room for both Hughes and Lockwood?
At this point, you make room. The season is done. If Green and Benning are not willing to play out the rest of the season with the future in mind then I just might become a GillisBro. These two need to stop being stupid. A blatant tank with your future dominating the lineup may be in order, we ain’t winning with the vets, so why the fuck not? If I here Green go on about the little things that Eriksson does, etc I’ll lose it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, not only has he wore the number before but it only seems appropriate if he dons the number 7

It's a bit of an old school defense man's number anyways. Just seems right...

"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:14 pm
At this point, you make room. The season is done. If Green and Benning are not willing to play out the rest of the season with the future in mind then I just might become a GillisBro. These two need to stop being stupid. A blatant tank with your future dominating the lineup may be in order, we ain’t winning with the vets, so why the fuck not? If I here Green go on about the little things that Eriksson does, etc I’ll lose it.
You needn't abandon your hatred of all thing Gillis in order to be skeptical, or even overtly critical, of Benning and his plans.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Once the Canucks are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, only then will Green give Gaudette, Demko etc more minutes to prepare em for next season.

TG itchin' to get Q on board.
Green on Q Hughes: ‘he’s an exciting part of our future and I hope I get to see him sooner rather than later. I plan on getting him in if he’s here. That’s for sure. I want to play him as much as I can’
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.