Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Curmudgeon »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:12 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:06 am Myers will prove his value in a playoff series. He may not be a fighter but is a strong man who can lay the odd devastating hit
I meant signing Myers isn't as critical and shouldn't have cost what it did if they would have drafted better versus not signing him at all. Right now he's tied for 13 highest paid RHD and tied for 22nd overall for defensemen and that's an overpay.
Considering he’s getting top pairing type money when he’s a decent second pairing guy, yes it is an overpayment. But they needed a RH shot and most UFA are overpaid. I have less problem with Myers’ contract than Eriksson’s, Sutter’s, Beagle’s or Roussel’s. But having Myers make that money, and factoring in Hughes’s next deal, there’s no fucking way they are shelling out on a legit top pairing RH shot in UFA in the next few years like Petro or Jones. They will need to address the D cheaply and to start drafting more D men. Pretty bizarre they didn’t pick even one D man last year.
Exactly and even in 2017 they had 4 picks in the first 64 and didn't select a single defenseman, though they may have lucked out with Rathbone if they can get him signed. The Ferland signing was also a head scratcher after the Miller move and Myers signing. Sure he can go on LTIR but as long as there's uncertainty they can't use the dollars elsewhere. A healthy Ferland is a good signing, his history makes it awfully risky for a cap team.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the team is finally getting back in the mix and I don't think they're that far from making some noise but they sure don't make it easy on themselves sometimes.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:11 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:06 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am Remember guys, Doyle was tearing Benning and Lind new ones all season during Linds rookie campaign for the Canucks selecting Lind over Hague. All. Season. Long. Doyle hated Lind. Called him out for his struggles as a rookie, saying he’s an absolute bust. It was a horrendous assault on a rookie. A barrage of weaponry fired at Lind’s rookie season.
Funny I just looked at my posts during his rookie season.

I made one post saying that he had a terrible rookie season and another one saying that he and Jonah Gadjovich were developing at a snail’s pace. I did and still do prefer Hague, so what. So would most people.

Your post is a pile of pus much like yourself. Don’t let the truth get in the way of your narrative. :)

Hague at least has NHL games under his belt and for a pretty good team too. Another defenseman I was hoping they'd look at was Dylan Samberg and he ended up getting picked by the Jets ten slots later. Lind may work out but they are jammed on the right wing and positionally need way more irons in the fire on defense.

It will be interesting to see how Hoglander turns out in comparison to Kaedan Korczak, a RHD who was also selected by Vegas immediately after the Canucks pick.
Yeah I wishing for a dman like Korczak and playing for the defensemen NHL churning machine that is the Kelowna Rockets.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11669&p=343621&hili ... ak#p343621

Hoglander is getting good reviews though, he should take Pearson's spot beside Horvat after next season.
Vegas traded up to get that pick to select Korczak specifically which says a lot for them. Why couldn't the Canucks pull that off with later picks or young assets?
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:31 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:06 am Myers will prove his value in a playoff series. He may not be a fighter but is a strong man who can lay the odd devastating hit
I meant signing Myers isn't as critical and shouldn't have cost what it did if they would have drafted better versus not signing him at all. Right now he's tied for 13 highest paid RHD and tied for 22nd overall for defensemen and that's an overpay.
I contest that his value cant be quantified without seeing the full body of his work...which includes a physical playoff series.

An actual "top pairing" dman is worth closer to 7 or 8 in my opinion and Myers coming in at 6 is right about where a UFA 2nd pairing guy would sign.

Legit top pairing dmen are like Carlson, Josi, Jones, Reilly, Hughes,etc...not your Edlers, Tanevs or whatever the canucks have pawned on their fans as top pairing guys over the years(before Hughes came along obviously)
I guess we'll see, I still think he's way too high on the salary scale for what he brings. Playoffs would make it all worthwhile, it always does.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m just trying to help Blobbee realize that judging a players career from the small sample size of their professional rookie year is very wrong. He was on Kole Lind like white on rice during his entire rookie season. I’m sure he regrets it now since Kole Lind is shaping up to be a very very solid up and coming NHL’er
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 am I’m just trying to help Blobbee realize that judging a players career from the small sample size of their professional rookie year is very wrong. He was on Kole Lind like white on rice during his entire rookie season. I’m sure he regrets it now since Kole Lind is shaping up to be a very very solid up and coming NHL’er
I had two posts criticizing Lind. Two. Just like the one post I had regarding Jake Wise when you went off about him. Dig deeper, you can do it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal@DhaliwalSports
Agent Markus Lehto says Olli Juolevi is 100% healthy and looking forward to the Canucks camp, “Olli looks good on the ice, he has been training hard, 4-5 times a week with a strength and conditioning coach, he has matured on and off the ice.”
#Canucks #TSN1040
10:36 AM · Jun 23, 2020
GOOD! This would be a God send if all of a sudden Olli became what was hoped. Solve some fiscal dilemmas on a grandiose scale too.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 am I’m just trying to help Blobbee realize that judging a players career from the small sample size of their professional rookie year is very wrong. He was on Kole Lind like white on rice during his entire rookie season. I’m sure he regrets it now since Kole Lind is shaping up to be a very very solid up and coming NHL’er
I had two posts criticizing Lind. Two. Just like the one post I had regarding Jake Wise when you went off about him. Dig deeper, you can do it.
So...you never did say why you hate Lind so much
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 am
Because instead of staying in the dub and torching kids like most of his draft cohorts He jumped up to the ahl and had a tough rookie pro season. He did great this year though and should make the nhl in a year or two.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:04 pm
Because instead of staying in the dub and torching kids like most of his draft cohorts He jumped up to the ahl and had a tough rookie pro season. He did great this year though and should make the nhl in a year or two.
I was mostly giving blob the stink end of the toilet brush.

I'm curious about how Lind looks next year. Hes a sneaky good prospect who may come out of nowhere and win a job.

What about Gadjovic? He started collecting injuries then i havent heard anything further. Meg?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

/Cam Robinson/@Hockey_Robinson
Canucks fans won't have to wait too long to see Vasily Podkolzin back in action.

From August 19 to August 23, SKA will take part in a 'Super Tournament' against former Gagarin winners Ak Bars, Metallurg, & Salavat Yulaev
1:27 PM · Jun 23, 2020
Guess we'll wait and see on that one. Hope so.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm curious about how Lind looks next year. Hes a sneaky good prospect who may come out of nowhere and win a job.

What about Gadjovic? He started collecting injuries then i havent heard anything further. Meg?
Gadjovich was improving this season as well but hit the injury bug.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Like chef said he improved, especially his foot speed, he may be on the Zach macewen trajectory if he can stay healthy and pick up a little more speed. What’s nice with gadjovich is he dropped the gloves with some tough hombres in the ahl already. Lind is exciting, I know some people that watched him live this last training camp and he supposedly looked awesome, I think he’ll dominate and possibly get a callup next year.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Kole Lind became a legit cult hero :D

Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Gadjo made some real strides last year although he couldn't seem to shake the injury bug. He went 13-4-17-32 in just 38 games with mainly bottom six deployment while improving his foot speed considerably and dropping the mitts to defend team mates when needed, garnering some respect from opponents for that as well. He seemed to come in lighter, down to around 200 pounds probably and it showed.

Though his stride is still ugly, he was getting to pucks he wasn't getting to the previous year and getting in on the forecheck to apply some nice body contact as well. He also displayed on a couple of occasions a heavy, accurate shot I did not realize was there. All in all, it was a good year for Jonah showing steady improvement throughout. Hopefully he can avoid getting hurt so much in future, though through the latter part of the season it was a bad flu bug that was keeping him out.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Thanks man. That's as detailed as i could ever hope for.

Meg...yes or no, will Gadjovic be an NHL regular one day?