Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Prospect camp kicks off tomorrow:

el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Can't wait!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm interested in how the Belarusian kid will progress. He struggled but if you read the province report somewhere on this board you hear he stuck around and committed to getting better on and off the ice. I can see him showing something this coming year
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:21 pm I'm interested in how the Belarusian kid will progress. He struggled but if you read the province report somewhere on this board you hear he stuck around and committed to getting better on and off the ice. I can see him showing something this coming year
He did okay considering he was the youngest player in the AHL last season.

I have no doubt he will be much better this season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:32 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:21 pm I'm interested in how the Belarusian kid will progress. He struggled but if you read the province report somewhere on this board you hear he stuck around and committed to getting better on and off the ice. I can see him showing something this coming year
He did okay considering he was the youngest player in the AHL last season.

I have no doubt he will be much better this season.
On that front, offseason training out in Delta seems to be going well ;)

https://twitter.com/abbycanucks/status/ ... XDX_vncaMQ
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ OMG he's a giant compared to those other guys! :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Looks like they invited more prospects than usual, likely because there weren’t any camps like this when Covid had everyone locked down. Good to see.

They got Dmitri Zlodeyev out of Russia, so that’s a good sign. He looked like a decent checking centre prospect a couple years back.

Nice to see ex-Canuck Evgeny Namestnikov’s other son Max is there. Looks like he was skipped over in the draft. At 5’8 it’s not hard to see why, but he has bloodlines, so you never know.

Who’s the best RHD prospect?

Just saw a nice write up of the undrafted invitees:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... mp-5567626

21 year old Jack Jensen looks interesting, but it might be just his Hanson Brothers glasses. :D
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:58 pm Whose the best RHD prospect?
I'm going to say a certain Swedish Persson.

As for the other prospects, Cuz will probably get fully down on Kunz and Likkermaki... then focus Arshdeep on the local boy. I also hear he's converted and likes Aman now.

I'm interested to see if:

Linus Karlsson is actually something and not just a lesser Dahlen 2.0.
McDonough is just another good college player like Gaudette and Madden or if he has an actual shot at a decent pro career.
The Russian Zlodeyev is more than another Artem Chubarov.
Anyone of these D prospects has a future shot in Abby, nevermind on the big club. Focusing mainly on Persson and Pettersson.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Myrenberg is another RHD that might make the Abby squad
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:36 am Myrenberg is another RHD that might make the Abby squad
I think he's still junior eligible. To me he is the most interesting of the bunch of late round Swedish picks we've made the past couple of years.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:59 pm Prospect camp kicks off tomorrow:

What, only ten Swedes? Oh well... :|

Are you even allowed to say/write Arshdeep in public? I guess they'll have to bleep it on TV. :oops:
Last edited by Per on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:33 pm I'm interested to see if:

Linus Karlsson is actually something and not just a lesser Dahlen 2.0.
I'd say he may actually be something.

Dahlén has great skills but is softer and has issues. Comes across as whiny and arrogant.

Karlsson may not have quite as soft hands, but he can score goals and has more grit and a better attitude, which I think may be helpful when transitioning to the North American game. He is willing to do the hard work to an extent that I'm not sure Jonathan is.

Now, of course different players have different styles that adapt better or worse when transitioning, and a whole lot depends on what role you get on the team and who your line mates are, but a common rule of thumb is that a player that moves from the SHL to the NHL see their points production cut in half. This is where Höglander really surprised me, as his point production his first year in the NHL was almost as highas his last season in the SHL. His second year looks more like what I had expected, almost exactly, in fact... 14/23=0,6 divided by half=0,3 times 60 games = 18

Anyway, Linus had 46 points in 52 games in the SHL this past season. 46/52=0.88 0.44 x 82 = 36

So, if this rule of thumb holds true, he should be good for 36 points, which isn''t half bad for a rookie.

In Petey's case, he had 56 points in 44 games in the SHL, which should have translated to 45 points over the 71 games he played in his first NHL season. Instead he had 66, but he's an alien and had an upward trajectory that was crazy.

Jonathan Dahlén never played in the SHL, so I can't do this maths for him, but before his AHL stint he was a ppg player in Hockeyallsvenskan at age 20, which is what Karlsson also was at age 21. After Dahlén returned to Hockeyallsvenskan he had two seasons there with crazy stats, but he was really too good for that league. He had 22 points in 61 games for the Sharks, which is decent, but also the worst +/- on the team, -25.
Now, I know that +/- is a crappy statistic, but I think his low mark may be indicative of his tendency to float rather than work hard.

So, all things considered; I think Dahlén has a slight edge in skills, but Karlsson makes up for that with his work ethics and willingness to do the dirty work. I think he will be a better fit for the NHL.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Per wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:31 am I'd say he may actually be something.

Dahlén has great skills but is softer and has issues. Comes across as whiny and arrogant.

Karlsson may not have quite as soft hands, but he can score goals and has more grit and a better attitude, which I think may be helpful when transitioning to the North American game. He is willing to do the hard work to an extent that I'm not sure Jonathan is.

So, all things considered; I think Dahlén has a slight edge in skills, but Karlsson makes up for that with his work ethics and willingness to do the dirty work. I think he will be a better fit for the NHL.
I feel slightly more positive about Linus after seeing some of the clips from development camp. I still don't know if he realistically has a shot to be an everyday NHLer, but those attributes of attitude and work ethics without the prima-donna entitlement bode well. I'll reserve judgment until we can see a full year of him in Abby. But truthfully, anytime you can get even 50-100 NHL games out of a prospect, you've won.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Thanks Per - some numbers to put behind out tempered expectations.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Karlsson positives I have read:

-seems to work best in game like scenarios, has soft hands/handles the puck well.

Karlsson negatives I have read:

-his skating appears below average with respect to NHL comparable(s).

...a veritable death knell in this day and age of wheels are us.
DeLevering since 1999.