Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 am I also don’t understand the organizational mentality of giving players like Boucher the best minutes, it’s supposed to be a Developmental league but I guess not anymore.
Take the names out of the equation, the organization needs to have a plan for their prospects. If they believe the player has a possibility or chance of making the NHL then they need to be provided the opportunity to develop in the AHL with the right assignments and ice time. This isn't about the AHL coach winning the championship that no one really cares about.

if a player is basically a career AHL player then their preferred assignments and icetime needs to be managed appropriately. Yes they need to teach the kids on how to battle etc. and that can be shown on ice but over time those assignments should be given to the prospect with a future on the big team.

THE GM to the NHL coach to the AHL coach all have to be on same page.

I am not saying the Canucks are doing this or not doing it, they just need to have the right plan for players to develop and see if they are successful or is it time to move on.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm I didn’t miss any point. Canucks are among the slowest teams in the league. Boucher (or Leivo) is 26 and he can’t skate. I know he has a great shot but he’s pretty much a one trick pony at the NHL level. He’s a great AHL player however.
There we go. Looks better now. Definitely more complete.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm I didn’t miss any point. Canucks are among the slowest teams in the league. Boucher (or Leivo) is 26 and he can’t skate. I know he has a great shot but he’s pretty much a one trick pony at the NHL level. He’s a great AHL player however.
I think Leivo has a bit more to offer than Boucher in terms of an overall game.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I'm not one who thinks its the playoffs or bust for the team next season and would prefer to see it with another lottery pick instead....

Because I think the team is at least 2 or 3 elite players away from becoming a contender and also because its current core 4 players are too young ...

After watching most of the games in the playoffs so far, I'm more convinced that the team would be better off in the lottery than the playoffs after next season...

It's got an average team age that is at least 2 years younger than most of the best teams in the league so it has time on its side...

Take care...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

rikster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 pm
I'm not one who thinks its the playoffs or bust for the team next season and would prefer to see it with another lottery pick instead....

Because I think the team is at least 2 or 3 elite players away from becoming a contender and also because its current core 4 players are too young ...

After watching most of the games in the playoffs so far, I'm more convinced that the team would be better off in the lottery than the playoffs after next season...

It's got an average team age that is at least 2 years younger than most of the best teams in the league so it has time on its side...

Take care...
I’m not against your thinking rikster

But how much fun would it be to see the kids in the playoffs especially if we pick up a couple pieces this summer.... it may be inevitable 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm
I think Leivo has a bit more to offer than Boucher in terms of an overall game.
Maybe, but almost zero and a little more than almost zero = best in the AHL.

Leivo was given a LONG look this season. My verdict: good shot, okay one on one, but generally, where the play goes to die. As for a 3rd or 4th line role, a slow first step, lack of agility skating, slow decisionmaking precluding "doing the little things right."
Hono_rary Canadian
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 am ...it’s supposed to be a Developmental league but I guess not anymore.
...This isn't about the AHL coach winning the championship that no one really cares about.

...THE GM to the NHL coach to the AHL coach all have to be on same page.
While all this makes sense, from the Canucks perspective, is it fully achievable? Unless the Aquilini's are paying all the bills for the Comets and they don't care if it turns a profit, then you have to maintain a competitive on-ice product, because the fans in Utica care. As such, you can't simply give all the ice time to the young Canuck prospects unless they are your best options at their positions. Like anything else about this business, it's a complicated balancing act. We can't continually complain the kids aren't getting enough ice time on the farm. They have to try to win games just like the parent club does.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

rikster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Take care...
I'm of the same mind Rikster, would prefer another slow season of drafting, hopefully actually grabbing extra picks (other than 6th rounders) this time and stay the course. My guess; however, is this won't work for Jimbo given I think he's gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year. Hard to miss 5 years in a row and keep your job.

The Nucks do need another top 4 D and another top 6 forward at minimum before they are a playoff team, and I'm not talking Pearson/Leivo level of forward but a legit 25-30 goal guy. The top 4 D needs to be another 30-40 point guy. It's a big ask before this team takes enough of a step forward to make the playoffs consistently, but they are slowly moving in the right direction.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Canuck fan-base is getting impatient. Something Aquallini has to take into account.
Add that to the fact he, they, know that they will soon have a rivalry going with the Starbucks.
The owners will not want to still be what we call, in a rebuilding stage.
The time is now to start seriously thinking of the playoffs by the 20/21 season.
Up to 83 million cap for next year. Not saying caution to the wind but kicking it up a gear is pretty important.
Trying to do something like throw the kitchen sink at uniting the Hughes brothers is nuts.
Maybe an EK or a Skinner, isn't so ridiculous after all.

As an aside, I think Jett Woo has a legit shot this camp. People on defense will be moving, IMO.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm The Canuck fan-base is getting impatient

Good for them
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm The owners will not want to still be what we call, in a rebuilding stage.

The time is now to start seriously thinking of the playoffs by the 20/21 season.
Diehard1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm My guess; however, is this won't work for Jimbo given I think he's gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year.

Hard to miss 5 years in a row and keep your job.

Aquillini made it clear he wants this team to be a perennial contender for many years, not just a cinderalla one-off run, however in his end of season letter he REALLY sounded like he wants this team to be in the playoffs ASAP.

So I don't think JB can just play it cool and draft/develop slowly while not doing much else.

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pmThe Nucks do need another top 4 D and another top 6 forward at minimum before they are a playoff team, and I'm not talking Pearson/Leivo level of forward but a legit 25-30 goal guy. The top 4 D needs to be another 30-40 point guy. It's a big ask before this team takes enough of a step forward to make the playoffs consistently, but they are slowly moving in the right direction.
Yeah seems like the plan is to add as you said a top6 scorer and right side QB at bare minimum, either by trade or UFA, likely both.

And JB really has to improve in his "hockey deals" player(s) for player(s) swap, and I think we have a few decent assets to make such a move now.

And not fuck-up this July 1st.

JB's first real full offseason without Linden in the way and some of JB's picks matured.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm The Canuck fan-base is getting impatient

Good for them
Wrong! The true Canuck fans want patience. Linden wanted patience! Blob wants patience! Hence Blobs love for Lafrenierre and Byfield.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

The Nucks do need another top 4 D and another top 6 forward at minimum before they are a playoff team, and I'm not talking Pearson/Leivo level of forward but a legit 25-30 goal guy. The top 4 D needs to be another 30-40 point guy. It's a big ask before this team takes enough of a step forward to make the playoffs consistently, but they are slowly moving in the right direction.
They should be getting one of those with the 10th overall pick at 2019. It’s going to be one of Soderstrom, Boldy or Krebs. Plus, if you are able to ignore the lack of vision, patience and insight sewage spewing out of ass-mouths like the HF crowd, 1040 (Botchford, Halford and Brough, Patterson, Sekeres and Price) and the urining Blobs of the world there’s nothing say that Juolevi, Woo, Madden, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood etc could evolve into those needs we need? Did you see how high Madden jumped in a 2018 re-draft? First round pick?!?! Blob wanted Wise
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Woo plummeted in your same re-draft. Lind and Gadjovich had terrible seasons in the AHL. Olaf is injury prone and yet to play a game. If you are lucky 30 % of your prospects make it. This team needs a lot more kids in the pipeline at every skating position. Have some patience and embrace the rebuild.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm of the same mind Rikster, would prefer another slow season of drafting, hopefully actually grabbing extra picks (other than 6th rounders) this time and stay the course. My guess; however, is this won't work for Jimbo given I think he's gone if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year. Hard to miss 5 years in a row and keep your job.

Pretty much my take, but I think they need two top six forwards and a top pairing D. And re-sign Edler to a team friendly deal. Good luck with all that. Stay the course and and rebuild. I also think it’s playoffs or bust for Ignitowski. Would be nice to see Ken Holland come in as a president with the news of Yzerman returning to Detroit