Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 am
Tryamkin is learning to use his size effectively and is positionally sound as he matures.
Benning made a very strong point of bringing him up in his, (Cool, I have an extended contract speech).
He obviously believes the big guys coming back and will become a Canuck...........................again.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 am Over in the KHL -

Tryamkin is learning to use his size effectively and is positionally sound as he matures. I'd say he'd be a rock solid defensive dman in the NHL. The type that would thrive in the nasty playoffs atmosphere - especially now that we have other scrappy players so he isn't the only "tough guy". Seems he plays left and right side no problem.

Podkolzin definitely plays like a true powerforward, when he hits it hurts, two good KHL years will be so beneficial for him to mature/develop for the NHL.
With both Benn and Trymakin playing the right side with confidence, I'm hoping we find a home for Tanev. Save his cap and get an asset(s) back for him. Id really like to move him before he gets hurt and has to go on IR. Woo is still a couple of years away but by then Benn maybe done and Stetcher.....
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Tryamkin is learning to use his size effectively and is positionally sound as he matures. I'd say he'd be a rock solid defensive dman in the NHL. The type that would thrive in the nasty playoffs atmosphere - especially now that we have other scrappy players so he isn't the only "tough guy". Seems he plays left and right side no problem.

Podkolzin definitely plays like a true powerforward, when he hits it hurts, two good KHL years will be so beneficial for him to mature/develop for the NHL.
With both Benn and Trymakin playing the right side with confidence, I'm hoping we find a home for Tanev. Save his cap and get an asset(s) back for him. Id really like to move him before he gets hurt and has to go on IR. Woo is still a couple of years away but by then Benn maybe done and Stetcher.....
I agree on Tanev, Wids. It's really our last chance. (last year of contract). If there's a chance, it had better be rather promptly.
IMO, I fear it's too late / in regards to what kind of return we'd get now as opposed to 2 or 3 years ago.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:20 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 pm

I agree on Tanev, Wids. It's really our last chance. (last year of contract). If there's a chance, it had better be rather promptly.
IMO, I fear it's too late / in regards to what kind of return we'd get now as opposed to 2 or 3 years ago.
No question the return will be significantly lower than 2-3 years ago. But at this point Id settle for a 2nd and a decent prospect. If he is healthy at the TDD though he may still get a low 1st from a contender that wants defensive depth in the playoffs.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jim Benning on TSN 1040am radio;

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1354765

This really is the best interview he has given in the last 2 days. His answers are definitive and not hesitant.
All pertinent topics are covered and it sounds like Jimbo got some sleep last night. ;)
Sorry RD. Not ur faves but this is good...
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

There's a Four Nations Tournament for J20-teams going on in Perm Russia, featuring Russia, Finland, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Sweden lost 6-5 to Finland earlier today.
Nils Höglander scored Sweden's fifth goal to give them a 5-4 lead after 6:11 of the third period, but the Finns tied it again right away and then won in ot.

The game can be seen in its entirety here, the goal comes roughly at the 1.44.06 mark:

They will face Russia tomorrow at 18.00 local time, which I think is roughly 6 am Saturday morning pacific time.
The game will be broadcast live here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtnDzK7kA-s
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 pm .
Jim Benning on TSN 1040am radio;

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1354765

This really is the best interview he has given in the last 2 days. His answers are definitive and not hesitant.
All pertinent topics are covered and it sounds like Jimbo got some sleep last night. ;)
Sorry RD. Not ur faves but this is good...
The next captain will have plenty of veteran support in Edler, Tanev, Sutter and Beagle. We know who won’t be captain :mrgreen:

Ericksson is the best contract of bad contracts players so won’t swap for a bad contract.

Next to Pettersson, Goldobin is the most skilled player on the team. Have put a lot into his development and looks forward to seeing him in camp. He’s gotten 10 lbs lighter, has gotten faster and is working hard to be ready for the season.

Has a couple of plans to be cap compliant.

Juolevi still don’t know if he will be ready for start of camp, thinks he will be but won’t know until camp starts. The plan is for him to start in Utica to get back into NHL conditioning. When he’s ready they will make room for him.

Just a big no to Chiarelli joining the team.

No PTOs this year. Wants the kids to get max ice time in preseason.

From a GMs perspective would like Demko to get 25-27 games but it’s coaches decision.

Will look at re-signing Markstrom after Jan 1.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am
The next captain will have plenty of veteran support in Edler, Tanev, Sutter and Beagle. We know who won’t be captain :mrgreen:

Ericksson is the best contract of bad contracts players so won’t swap for a bad contract.

Next to Pettersson, Goldobin is the most skilled player on the team. Have put a lot into his development and looks forward to seeing him in camp. He’s gotten 10 lbs lighter, has gotten faster and is working hard to be ready for the season.

Juolevi still don’t know if he will be ready for start of camp, thinks he will be but won’t know until camp starts. The plan is for him to start in Utica to get back into NHL conditioning. When he’s ready they will make room for him.

From a GMs perspective would like Demko to get 25-27 games but it’s coaches decision.

Will look at re-signing Markstrom after Jan 1.
LE - just need to put something on him and move him to Ottawa, the cap space is more important right now than a draft pick (except a 1st)

Goldobin - JB and Green need to be on the same page, pump and dump but Greeny needs to make it happen or Goldobin finally turns into the player he was expected to and we are even in a better position.

Julio - exactly as I suspected, he needs 2 months in the AHL before being NHL ready (hopefully he will finally be ready), damn am I good or what?

Demko - once again yes it is the coaches decision but JB and Green need to be on the same page, if for some reason the Markstrom negotiations do not go well Demko is plan B or they move Demko so once again pump and dump.

Markstrom signing - Jan 1st is a good time to resign him, this will give them a chance to see if the trend he showed in last half of last season continues or was it a mirage?

Regardless of many things the coach and GM must always be on the same page for player development and the future, to do anything different is asinine.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am.

This would be the most interesting tidbit right here. It also backs up mine and a few others claim that theres more talent there than your typical scrub. Patience with goldobin has high reward potential if things go right for him/the team
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:28 am

This would be the most interesting tidbit right here. It also backs up mine and a few others claim that theres more talent there than your typical scrub. Patience with goldobin has high reward potential if things go right for him/the team
Yup! What Goldy has left to learn, pretty much has to be at the NHL level.
In this interview, JB is absolutely sounding convinced of the return of Tryamkin.

But
BENNING: Ben Hutton's cost wasn't worth paying for him to fit in with the group
Last edited by Mickey107 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:28 am

Yup! What Goldy has left to learn, pretty much has to be at the NHL level.
In this interview, JN is absolutely sounding convinced of the return of Tryamkin.

But
BENNING: Ben Hutton's cost wasn't worth paying for him to fit in with the group
Napkin would be huge for a playoff run if hes developed his game a bit. He was a puck fumbler when he was here
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I really think it’s a pipe dream for Tryamkin to return. He and his wife couldn’t get out of here fast enough. I don’t think it was all because of Desjardins. Either way even if he did want to return if his KHL season ended early, where is the cap space coming from?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

He keeps bringing it up though. Must know something that he doesn't want to be public.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:51 am I really think it’s a pipe dream for Tryamkin to return. He and his wife couldn’t get out of here fast enough. I don’t think it was all because of Desjardins. Either way even if he did want to return if his KHL season ended early, where is the cap space coming from?
I think he looked around, saw 5 more years of bitch slappings and pulled the pin. Now theres talent and other big bodies to help with the heavy lifting.

My opinion is hes a 5/6 dman with some issues and that as of right now he sits at best #6 on the depth chart above stretcher
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Goldobin is the next most skilled player next to Petey.
That is soooo true!
Okay I’m with Benning. So glad we stuck with him.
He may end up being a better player than Pettersson.
Benning and Green’s patience will really pay off.
I hope we don’t trade him. He is going to be awesome!

wink wink nudge nudge - he is sooo being traded - everyone keep pumping his tires so someone will bite
We are all Snidely Whiplash.