Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by SKYO »

So what's going on with 6'0" 205lbs Jett Woo these days?

Ideally he can play 50/50 AHL/NHL games next season after playing a full two years in the AHL after this season is done.

He's a scrappy type, just a slightly less aggressive Bieksa, Juice split 2005/06 between the Moose and Canucks however he was 24 iirc at that time, Woo will only be turning 22 this summer.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah try errs really no similarity to Bieksa other than they are both RH shots. I’ll be concerned if he doesn’t get a few games in March/April with the clownshow on this teams back end.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

Need Jett to get at least a few NHL games this season, unless we stay in the playoff hunt. I hope Jack joins the big club asap.
It would be truly awesome if Woo can be a Bieksa type player….maybe he can? I need to watch him more. Is he as mean? We can sure use some meanness on the Canucks. Did not like Garland getting worked, last game.
Stand up, you diver.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He isn’t a mean guy. He plays with some physicality but he isn’t an enforcer. They need more toughness throughout the lineup.

Yeah unless they are in a real dogfight to make it, he should get some games in the spring.
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

Dam. I was hoping, if not a fighter, at least Woo could be counted on to be well above average at hitting, separating guys from the puck and all around basic grit…just not there?
Stand up, you diver.
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

Bieksa for GM?! Never boring….
Stand up, you diver.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ringer#20 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:10 am Need Jett to get at least a few NHL games this season, unless we stay in the playoff hunt.
Even if we're in the hunt at that point, I can't imagine why the team wouldn't check out Woo for a couple of games - he can't be much worse than Hunt.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I think Woo will eventually become an above average hitter in his prime years. For one, he'll be tangling with grown men in the NHL and not kids his age. Still don't think he's physically mature enough to do that consistently yet. The other aspect is guys can no longer run around trying to force hits.

I hope Jett does get a few games this season. At worst, he's better than Hunt and on par with Burroughs.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

Good! Actually very encouraging. A guy like what he seems to be, good family/character, solid pro, can make a difference on a 15 minute a night role on the 3rd pair. Yah, we had season tickets the first year of the Knights and Hunt had a decent year, I thought. He is well past “expired” now for sure. So, thinking more about it, I agree, get him games this year regardless. How about the other guys there, other than Jack?
Good point about not forcing hits, even Jovo had to learn that, back in the day. So much faster now. Maybe that is a real key to him moving up?
Stand up, you diver.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

For the first time in a long time (or ever), we have more RHD depth than LHD on the big club... Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs. Not saying these are a bunch of killers, but a strong enough group to allow Woo to continue to develop.

It's more important right now that Rathbone shows enough to take that last spot as an everyday LHD.

Guys like Megaterios watches the AHL team more, but our Dmen prospect pool is a bare cupboard with only Woo and Rathbone having any chance of becoming NHLers... and they can't really be considered high-end prospects IMO. The new GM needs to address this and quickly.

Woo's skating is what's still keeping him as a highly rated prospect. He won't be bringing much offensively at the NHL level. He has to improve his defensive game and keep bringing an edge. That's his forté and what's going to get him into the show and keep him there.

Good to see you posting Ringer#20!

"Ringer" :wink: mmm...mmmmm...
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Ringer#20
MVP
MVP

Post by Ringer#20 »

Good information and although not in as positive of a stage in his playing abilities as I hoped, I am still hoping Woo can be a decent second pairing guy or strong third in his prime. Skating as we know, can be improved significantly. When I think back on his Jr days, his development was not always linear. I need to watch some of their games and try and catch one live down South. You guys are fortunate having them in the area.
We are definitely farked in terms of what we have on the farm……then I say out of the other side of my mouth “could our first round pick, start a serious discussion with Az for Chychrun” I watched him close at a Az home game this season, he’s a horse. Maybe our 1st and ? Still room for Rathbone, then?
Going to be interesting when trades begin; before too long.
Stand up, you diver.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:55 am Guys like Megaterios watches the AHL team more, but our Dmen prospect pool is a bare cupboard with only Woo and Rathbone having any chance of becoming NHLers... and they can't really be considered high-end prospects IMO. The new GM needs to address this and quickly.
We got a couple dmen prospects not in the AHL as well.

RHD - 20yrs 6'2 Viktor Persson
(was invited to rookie camp this past September and has been honing his game in the WHL with the Kamloops Blazers. The Swede, drafted for his passing and puck-handling skills, has two goals, 12 assists and a plus-6 rating in 18 games with the Blazers this season — his first in North America.)

LHD - 19yrs 6'3 Joni Jurmo
(Jurmo has all the tools to be a difference-making defenceman. The 19-year-old is big, fast and is responding well to top-four minutes with Mikkelin Jukurit of the Finnish SM-Liiga this season.)

And other youngin's to keep tabs on:

F - 19yrs Dmitry Zlodeyev
(two-way, bottom-six style forward with some offensive upside)

C - 22yrs Linus Karlsson
(Karlsson is back on the radar with a superb season in Sweden so far. Despite being 22 years old, the forward is an SHL rookie. His well-rounded game has resulted in 23 points in 28 games this season with Skelleftea.)

LW - 22yrs Aidan McDonough
(McDonough is a power forward with lethal shot who is in the running for the Hobey Baker award as the top player in NCAA hockey this season. The 22-year-old winger for the Northeastern Huskies has 13 goals in 18 games this season. McDonough has improved his skating this season and has become a leader on the team. An entry-level contract with the Canucks could be in the cards at season’s end.)

Feisty Lockwood the future honey badger, if only he can stay healthy.

F - 18yrs Danila Klimovich
(The sky is the limit with Klimovich. The skill, size and swagger of the Belarusian forward stands out every time he’s on the ice. His ceiling, quite simply, is higher than any other Canucks prospect. Klimovich is the only 18-year-old playing in the AHL right now and doesn’t look out of place. Just wait until he gets used to North American hockey and his newfound surroundings.)

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... the-top-10
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Danila Klimovich had his first real, elongated hockey fight a couple nights ago. He did very well, was winning, but the older dude got him at the end.
He's doing just fine. Learning loads.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 am Danila Klimovich had his first real, elongated a couple nights ago. He did very well, was winning, but the older dude got him at the end.
Keep on keepin on Gomer107 just lacking the mmmmm…..mmmmm…… :?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 am
Micky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 am Danila Klimovich had his first real, elongated a couple nights ago. He did very well, was winning, but the older dude got him at the end.
Keep on keepin on Gomer107 just lacking the mmmmm…..mmmmm…… :?
Did you go look at the fight? No? Tipping the scales at 292lbs after the weekend shenanigans, Hmm, yah, :oops:
"evolution"