Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by SKYO »

I'd like to see Demko get 5-10 NHL games this season, get the jitters out, I think it can only help him for next season to get even more NHL games, gotta prepare him for a full time backup role, because if Marky gets injured Demko will get even more games..if he makes the NHL as a backup next season, plus TD is only a year younger than Vasilevskiy.

See: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=155331 ahl to nhl split.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

No reason for this not to happen.... except... we have two goalies who have no place else to go. So do we carry 3, or does one come down with an 'injury'?

I'm guessing we'll see Gaudette in for a few (and yes, we're all expecting Boeser 2.0, right?) - so getting Demko in for a few games just makes sense. Time to see the next phase of the Twinsition™
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm I'd like to see Demko get 5-10 NHL games this season, get the jitters out, I think it can only help him for next season to get even more NHL games, gotta prepare him for a full time backup role, because if Marky gets injured Demko will get even more games..if he makes the NHL as a backup next season, plus TD is only a year younger than Vasilevskiy.
I agree with this, kid may already be outgrowing the AHL.

One of the nail salon boys (Fried Man?) was saying yesterday he thinks Canucks are shopping Nilsson.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:57 pm No reason for this not to happen.... except... we have two goalies who have no place else to go. So do we carry 3, or does one come down with an 'injury'?
Yeah I think it only happens if they first trade Nilsson.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-t ... ntroversy/

Among those whose value they are testing: Ben Hutton and Anders Nilsson. Hutton is due $2.8 million next year, Nilsson $300,000 less.
Yeah it was Fried Man...
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:58 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm I'd like to see Demko get 5-10 NHL games this season, get the jitters out, I think it can only help him for next season to get even more NHL games, gotta prepare him for a full time backup role, because if Marky gets injured Demko will get even more games..if he makes the NHL as a backup next season, plus TD is only a year younger than Vasilevskiy.

One of the nail salon boys (Fried Man?) was saying yesterday he thinks Canucks are shopping Nilsson.
Kid's first full season as a starter in the minors and everyone's ready to rush him into the NHL.

He's among the leaders in the AHL for goals against (7th) and save percentage (4th). He's also one of the main reasons the Comets are fighting for a playoff position right now. Why mess with that? What happens when he comes up here and faces NHL caliber shooters , gets lit up and kills his confidence - at the same time the Comets drop out of the playoff race and both teams are sitting watching come post season time.

If either Markstrom or Nilsson are traded, they'll get a backup in return or call up Bachman. No way Demko is coming up this year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Good point Vic...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

vic wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Kid's first full season as a starter in the minors and everyone's ready to rush him into the NHL.

He's among the leaders in the AHL for goals against (7th) and save percentage (4th). He's also one of the main reasons the Comets are fighting for a playoff position right now. Why mess with that? What happens when he comes up here and faces NHL caliber shooters , gets lit up and kills his confidence - at the same time the Comets drop out of the playoff race and both teams are sitting watching come post season time.

If either Markstrom or Nilsson are traded, they'll get a backup in return or call up Bachman. No way Demko is coming up this year.
I think the point would be that a couple of games in the NHL regular season will tell Canucks management more about whether he's ready to move up next season than any number of preseason games would, and they would have the information sooner and could use it for planning purposes. I suppose the underlying assumptions would be that Bachman could play well enough for a short stretch not to seriously jeopardize the Comets' playoff chances, and if things don't go well for Demko in his NHL visit, he would have time to get his game back and still have a good Calder Cup run. I wouldn't know how reasonable those assumptions might be. I also expect that Cloutier would have input on whether there are still elements of Demko's game that he can develop against AHL opposition, or whether he needs to see some NHL shots.

When would you like to see Demko brought to the NHL, Vic ?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I think the point would be that a couple of games in the NHL regular season will tell Canucks management more about whether he's ready to move up next season than any number of preseason games would, and they would have the information sooner and could use it for planning purposes. I suppose the underlying assumptions would be that Bachman could play well enough for a short stretch not to seriously jeopardize the Comets' playoff chances, and if things don't go well for Demko in his NHL visit, he would have time to get his game back and still have a good Calder Cup run. I wouldn't know how reasonable those assumptions might be. I also expect that Cloutier would have input on whether there are still elements of Demko's game that he can develop against AHL opposition, or whether he needs to see some NHL shots.

TD should be a starter in NHL once DiPietro is ready to be a backup in Utica. So maybe 3 years? Develop both goalies and trade one before the team runs into another Luongo-Schneider situation.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Trading? More like a donation to Value Village.
Sorry, that wasn't nice.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

vic wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm

TD should be a starter in NHL once DiPietro is ready to be a backup in Utica. So maybe 3 years? Develop both goalies and trade one before the team runs into another Luongo-Schneider situation.
Vic - when you say starter you mean the guy doing 50+ games?

I see no harm in him getting 3 - 5 games this year.

Next season depending on makeup of the team he either plays on the AHL or backup for Markstrom. My only concern is him coming up next year when the team looks to be as bad as they are this year, do we want to get him demoralized? Unless we get some better D in the off season through a FA pick up or 2, guys that are more mature and steady in their own end it is all a mute point, isn't it?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am
vic wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Vic - when you say starter you mean the guy doing 50+ games?

I see no harm in him getting 3 - 5 games this year.

Next season depending on makeup of the team he either plays on the AHL or backup for Markstrom. My only concern is him coming up next year when the team looks to be as bad as they are this year, do we want to get him demoralized? Unless we get some better D in the off season through a FA pick up or 2, guys that are more mature and steady in their own end it is all a mute point, isn't it?

50+ sounds about right...sure. If he's here next year as a backup no reason they can't shelter him.

Essentially, Canucks as far as I can remember got it right by drafting and developing Schneider. They took their time. Yes they has Luongo so CS didn't have to be rushed.

I think this is why the organization wanted Miller back. He could still carry the workload for 2-3 years, mentor Demko for a couple of years as a backup and then pass on the reigns.

3-5 games this year is risky...there is no point...let him concentrate on the Comets.

Send Jake down too and do a paper transaction with Boeser to assign him to the AHL then bring him right back. That way once the Canucks season is over, even he can go and help Utica win a championship.

Edit: Schneider is the only goalie as far as I can remember the team drafted and developed. All the other great tenders the team has had they've traded for or signed in FA. Don't mess this one up by rushing him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vic I'm looking at how the probable Vezina trophy MVP goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy was developed, the Lightning developed him by giving him SOME NHL games every year while they had Bishop there. There's no hard rule on how to properly develop a goalie, no proper template, it's just if he's ready or not.

Pekke Rinne, Cory Crawford, even Schneider got a few games in the NHL during their AHL development, it just helps give them a taste of the pro's on what they need to work on down on the farm, plus it's the ol' carrot and stick metaphor to reach the NHL full time eventually.

3-5 NHL games this 2017/18 season, 8 - 20 NHL games 2018/19 season while still a #1 goalie in AHL, before becoming a full time NHLer in 2019/20 would be my preference for the 6'4 Thatcher Demko.

I like the gradual introduction to the pro's, not two full AHL season's with ZERO NHL games then thrown to the wolves, I'd much prefer a few games now, a little more next year, then full time NHL backup before taking over.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am Vic I'm looking at how the probable Vezina trophy MVP goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy was developed, the Lightning developed him by giving him SOME NHL games every year while they had Bishop there. There's no hard rule on how to properly develop a goalie, no proper template, it's just if he's ready or not.

Pekke Rinne, Cory Crawford, even Schneider got a few games in the NHL during their AHL development, it just helps give them a taste of the pro's on what they need to work on down on the farm, plus it's the ol' carrot and stick metaphor to reach the NHL full time eventually.

3-5 NHL games this 2017/18 season, 8 - 20 NHL games 2018/19 season while still a #1 goalie in AHL, before becoming a full time NHLer in 2019/20 would be my preference for the 6'4 Thatcher Demko.

I like the gradual introduction to the pro's, not two full AHL season's with ZERO NHL games then thrown to the wolves, I'd much prefer a few games now, a little more next year, then full time NHL backup before taking over.

I think when you have a team like TB in front of you, even Jacob Markstrom could be a Vezina candidate, but I see what you mean.

I don't know what Rinne, Crawford and Schneider's AHL teams were doing the first year they got some NHL time - were they in a playoff race, were they out of it? If they had secured a playoff position, how did they react after returning? Were there injuries that forced the team because the AHL backup wasn't anywhere close to being ready?

I'd say this team is a tire fire right now, no need to bring someone in from a "some-what" winning culture and expose them to it. Next year, sure give him some games but let it be this year.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

vic wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm
I'd say this team is a tire fire right now, no need to bring someone in from a "some-what" winning culture and expose them to it. Next year, sure give him some games but let it be this year.
This is my concern, not being a goalie expert (some may say no expert at anything) what will playing for the Nucks now mean for the long term development. I would assume nothing but can you imagine the pressure on the kid as he is already anointed as the future savior of the Canucks.