Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:22 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:54 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 amThat said it will be interesting to see them tap dance around the cap this summer.
nothing to tap dance about. You let Schaller, Lievo and perhaps Stetcher walk, you can afford everyone.
notabigdeal

Why do people confuse "cap teams" (canucks) with "cap hell" (Leaves)
Break it all down for me. You bringing back Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen and Gaudette with raises and including the Pettersson and Quinton’s bonuses..It ain’t as easy as you think especially making sure the team doesn’t take a couple steps backward. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’s not like tiddly winks either.

Nobody really confused anything here
FFS Blob, they unload the Loui, Sutter, and Baer contracts and they have an embarrassing amount of cap space.

Happens all the time, last year the Leaves dumped the Marleau contract for eg., this isn't rocket science...
The leaves paid a first rounder to get rid of Marleau.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Quinn Hughes already better than Morgan Rielly.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 pm Quinn Hughes already better than Morgan Rielly.
Reilly is overrated by the BC Hockey Player Fan Club. President of the BCHPFC - Doyle Hargraves
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 pm Quinn Hughes already better than Morgan Rielly.
:lol:

I'm a YUGE Hughes fan but this is rediculous SKYO.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:58 am
:lol:

I'm a YUGE Hughes fan but this is rediculous SKYO.
Heheh points wise this szn
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:22 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:54 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 amThat said it will be interesting to see them tap dance around the cap this summer.
nothing to tap dance about. You let Schaller, Lievo and perhaps Stetcher walk, you can afford everyone.
notabigdeal

Why do people confuse "cap teams" (canucks) with "cap hell" (Leaves)
Break it all down for me. You bringing back Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen and Gaudette with raises and including the Pettersson and Quinton’s bonuses..It ain’t as easy as you think especially making sure the team doesn’t take a couple steps backward. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’s not like tiddly winks either.

Nobody really confused anything here
FFS Blob, they unload the Loui, Sutter, and Baer contracts and they have an embarrassing amount of cap space.

Happens all the time, last year the Leaves dumped the Marleau contract for eg., this isn't rocket science...
The Leaves paid a first rounder to get rid of Marleau.
And your point is?

BTW, I believe the Pettersson and Hughes bonuses will be $1.7M total if things keep trending the way they are.

Also, it's still possible those won't be carried over to next year (will be applied to this year's cap) depending on a few factors...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Point is I don’t want to pay a 1st plus to get rid of Louie. Or pay a good prospect to ditch Sven
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm Point is I don’t want to pay a 1st plus to get rid of Louie. Or pay a good prospect to ditch Sven
You don't have to get rid of Loui to have enough cap-room to re-sign the guys you're talking about.

You don't have to pay a good prospect to ditch Sven.

And the cost to unload Loui should be much less than the cost to unload Marleau.

(team taking Marleau had to fork over $6.25M in real dollars while receiving zero games from him).
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 pm
Also, it's still possible those won't be carried over to next year (will be applied to this year's cap) depending on a few factors...
Can they dip into LTIR space for bonuses?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:53 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 pm
Can they dip into LTIR space for bonuses?
No, but if they trade a player (like Baer?) and drop below the cap, they will accumulate cap space over the rest of the season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BTW I feel like Jimmy has an agreement with Loui to not send him down this year if he retires in the summer.

Just a hunch for what it's worth, not much I guess lol.. but point is we don't know what kinds of plans/arrangements Jimmy has.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:59 pm BTW I feel like Jimmy has an agreement with Loui to not send him down this year if he retires in the summer.

Just a hunch for what it's worth, not much I guess lol.. but point is we don't know what kinds of plans/arrangements Jimmy has.
But that hunch makes some sense :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm Point is I don’t want to pay a 1st plus to get rid of Louie. Or pay a good prospect to ditch Sven
You don't have to get rid of Loui to have enough cap-room to re-sign the guys you're talking about.

And the cost to unload Loui should be much less than the cost to unload Marleau.

(team taking Marleau had to fork over $6.25M in real dollars while receiving zero games from him).
Marleau is a way better player and he only had one year left. Eriksson is one of the worst players in the league. Sure he makes less actual dollars but he still has a fat cap hit. It will be costly to ditch his lazy ass.

Svens cap hit is 3.4 and he isn’t good enough to play in the league. It’s going to cost something to get rid of him.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Marleau is a way better player and he only had one year left.
UMMMM. Who cares how good Marleau is... deal was the Hurricanes had to spend $6.25M in real dollars while receiving zero games from him.

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:30 pm Eriksson is one of the worst players in the league. Sure he makes less actual dollars but he still has a fat cap hit. It will be costly to ditch his lazy ass.
Marleau: $6.25M in real dollars for zero games.

Eriksson: $5M in real dollars for 2 seasons of games.

"One of the worst players in the league" = hyperbole.

Loui is still worth $2.5M per year.

Another way to compare...

Team trades for Loui and buys him out = $2.7M in real dollars (spread over 4 years)

Team trades for Marleau and buys him out = $6.25M in real dollars

It took a 1st to dump Marleau, it won't take a 1st to dump Loui...

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:30 pm Svens cap hit is 3.4 and he isn’t good enough to play in the league. It’s going to cost something to get rid of him.
Sven will make $2.4M next year in real dollars, he is a proven NHLer and is presently tearing up the AHL.

The only reason a team won't take him on right now has to do with his health.

As I said... IF... he continues to prove himself healthy this year, he will have value to a team for next season.

Relax Blob, you worry too much...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess we’ll have to see what it takes to lance that boil off the team.