Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Per »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:35 am
rikster wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:27 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am I doubt they move a franchise overseas with current 82 game schedule. Too much travel.
Agree, but they do open up a Euro Division with 6 or 8 new teams to start....

Take care...
Doubtful that the NHL starts that out. More like the AHL would test drive that theory for a few years first. Less financial risk.
The AHL would not fly. Why would European teams or players, let alone fans, want to join an inferior league?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

https://www.sportsinsider.com/next-city ... ting-odds/

My own opinion is Quebec City will support a team; A winning team, only. C-
Atlanta? What is this, three strikes? :crazy: D
Saskatchewan or The Maritimes? Cute idea but; D
Portland is my idea of an almost for sure success. B+. In about 6 to 7 years.
Southern Ontario? Only if it's a relocation from Ottawa.
San Diego? Watch out for low flying aircraft. And, Hey Pedro? Pass the puck!
Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D
Houston? Would take a few years but ya, quite likely work. C+

Regardless; Never more than 32 teams, at least looking 15-20 years ahead.

The Admission Fees, the league loves. Whats the one after Seattle, a billion?
Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
I’d love to see them add the New Foundland Dogs as a franchise! :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Recent article on where an NHL franchise could happen. I don't agree with the final analysis but the read is decent;

Just saying, where else would they draw fans from. LA? Ever tried that? Yikes. D

Relocation may be ugly but is that not a better choice under present some circumstances ?
Between Saskatchewan and the Maritimes, I'd say that Halifax could support a team sooner than Regina or Saskatoon. It's double the population of Regina, and almost 200K more than Saskatoon. Halifax would also be an easier draw for fans from the rest of the Province outside of Cape Breton simply because of the smaller scale geography.

Realistically I don't think it's viable to have a NHL team anywhere that it would require more than 5% of the total population of the city to fill the arena for a given game.....at least not at the current prices of NHL tickets.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The future line up

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoglander Horvat Podkozlin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Gadjovich/Roussel Madden Lind/Lockwood

McEwan

Myers Tryamkin
Woo Hughes
Stecher Juolevi
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 am The future line up

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Hoglander Horvat Podkozlin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Gadjovich/Roussel Madden Lind/Lockwood

McEwan

Myers Tryamkin
Woo Hughes
Stecher Juolevi
Doubt there's room to pass through those two / Rock-on...
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm
Per wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Between Saskatchewan and the Maritimes, I'd say that Halifax could support a team sooner than Regina or Saskatoon. It's double the population of Regina, and almost 200K more than Saskatoon. Halifax would also be an easier draw for fans from the rest of the Province outside of Cape Breton simply because of the smaller scale geography.

Realistically I don't think it's viable to have a NHL team anywhere that it would require more than 5% of the total population of the city to fill the arena for a given game.....at least not at the current prices of NHL tickets.
Saskatchewan could easily support a hockey team, we fill up the stadium for cfl games at home and abroad.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2 h 31 min (259.0 km) via SK-11 N

Still just under 500,000 for both cities. 278,000 in Saskatoon. Maybe they actually could but the NHL wont look at it I bet.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Being a saskie boy, I would love to have a team here. But the reality is that it won't fly as this a gate driven league. You won't get many fans out on a random Tuesday when it's -56 with the windchill.

We would be a perennial small market team that would have trouble competing.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Filling up for the CFL happens because it's the only show in town, there is only 8 home games (not 41!) and it's easy to travel on the weekend in the summer.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 am Being a saskie boy, I would love to have a team here. But the reality is that it won't fly as this a gate driven league. You won't get many fans out on a random Tuesday when it's -56 with the windchill.

I think you’re underestimating the number of season tickets that would be sold, I could very easily see something like what’s in Winnipeg. It will never happen though
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:06 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 am Being a saskie boy, I would love to have a team here. But the reality is that it won't fly as this a gate driven league. You won't get many fans out on a random Tuesday when it's -56 with the windchill.

I think you’re underestimating the number of season tickets that would be sold, I could very easily see something like what’s in Winnipeg. It will never happen though

I honestly don't think so.. a 250k city will only sell a certain amount of season tix.. (less than 10k). The rest is people travelling. Only those who wish to temp Darwin travel when it's more than -25, especially mid week.. And that happens for about 1/3 of the Season. Lots of empty arena from mid November to mid march. Everyone's here knows how fast the weather can change and Storm blows in.

We love our hockey, but ain't nobody gonna die trying to get to a game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:31 am

I honestly don't think so.. a 250k city will only sell a certain amount of season tix.. (less than 10k). The rest is people travelling. Only those who wish to temp Darwin travel when it's more than -25, especially mid week.. And that happens for about 1/3 of the Season. Lots of empty arena from mid November to mid march. Everyone's here knows how fast the weather can change and Storm blows in.

Sure about that.

RIP
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Corporate sponsorship backing is the key. Who is buying those box seats and advertising spots?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:32 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:31 am

Sure about that.

RIP
It's always the wrong people, Wids. Statistically, Mouth Breathers never die in blizzards, but people with jobs seem to die a lot. Almost as often as Christians.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

MCP knows, he lives there. But Topper has a valid point too.
I would love to see it over another southern Ontario team or a Quebec City team. Quebec City has just over 500K, that aint that big
They showed in the past a tendency to be fickle and only come out for certain teams.

I know this is utter nonsense because of population but another Southern Ontario team is like a new Victoria team. :shock:
"evolution"