Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Of interest, Benning has said that using 20-20 hindsight they made a mistake with Virtanen,in keeping him his final year of junior and acknowledged that there was pressure to get a high end prospect into the line up. Said they addressed that by creating more depth and just don't want to rush anyone again. He was talking about the Juolevi predicament when he mentioned this so I think he is preparing the fan base.
He also said one of the reasons he was kept up is there was no depth to call up... Somthing that has been addressed nicely.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Of interest, Benning has said that using 20-20 hindsight they made a mistake with Virtanen,in keeping him his final year of junior and acknowledged that there was pressure to get a high end prospect into the line up. Said they addressed that by creating more depth and just don't want to rush anyone again. He was talking about the Juolevi predicament when he mentioned this so I think he is preparing the fan base.
He also said one of the reasons he was kept up is there was no depth to call up... Somthing that has been addressed nicely.
But last year's attempt to fix our depth by adding Skille, Chaput and MEGMA was awefully hard to watch. This year, we kinda need a few injuries to allow our Yutes to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BAD1k
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, most feedback seems to be that Juolevi isn't ready to take a job away from one of the Canuck regulars yet and he could benefit from a year playing under Sami Salo. He needs to bulk up a bit more, increase his speed and work on his point shot. No one better that Salo to teach him that part. I liked what I saw, he has good skill, great passer but we just don't need him on the team this year so,let him develop.

That's good, management learning on the job yo.

Which is why I'm glad the team hired some short term vets at all positions so rookies aren't rushed in anymore until they are ready.

While Juolevi strikes me as the type that will adjust quickly as the season goes on, one more year of development getting big minutes in junior or in europe will do wonders for him.....classic euro dmen taking 3-4 years after the draft to become effective NHL pro's, nothing wrong with that, that's just the way it is.

But it was good to see improvement as the games went on, can see Olli's high IQ at times and great passing game, just needs to be refined further to go pro full time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:
But last year's attempt to fix our depth by adding Skille, Chaput and MEGMA was awefully hard to watch. This year, we kinda need a few injuries to allow our Yutes to play.

...and Boucher and Cramarossa off the waiver wire, signing Drew Shore, keeping Gaunce up all year.. having Molino and Boeser play a few games.... and Biega (a few more games at forward) and Pedan playing forward that one game was exciting.. or not so much.
Heck I recall a few games where we did not have legal preseason game rosters.. that's a lack of depth AND devastation by injuries..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:

...and Boucher and Cramarossa off the waiver wire, signing Drew Shore, keeping Gaunce up all year.. having Molino and Boeser play a few games.... and Biega (a few more games at forward) and Pedan playing forward that one game was exciting.. or not so much.
Heck I recall a few games where we did not have legal preseason game rosters.. that's a lack of depth AND devastation by injuries..

In fairness, both Molino and Boeser played to kill one year on their ELC. The perk of signing when they did. I expect the same thing from Gaudette and maybe Lockwood.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, most feedback seems to be that Juolevi isn't ready to take a job away from one of the Canuck regulars yet and he could benefit from a year playing under Sami Salo. He needs to bulk up a bit more, increase his speed and work on his point shot. No one better that Salo to teach him that part. I liked what I saw, he has good skill, great passer but we just don't need him on the team this year so,let him develop.

That's good, management learning on the job yo.

Which is why I'm glad the team hired some short term vets at all positions so rookies aren't rushed in anymore until they are ready.

While Juolevi strikes me as the type that will adjust quickly as the season goes on, one more year of development getting big minutes in junior or in europe will do wonders for him.....classic euro dmen taking 3-4 years after the draft to become effective NHL pro's, nothing wrong with that, that's just the way it is.

But it was good to see improvement as the games went on, can see Olli's high IQ at times and great passing game, just needs to be refined further to go pro full time.
They need to have a conveyor belt of baked munchies to thicken that toothpick up. He's still so scrawny...not so sure about him hitting 200 there dude
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: They need to have a conveyor belt of baked munchies to thicken that toothpick up. He's still so scrawny...not so sure about him hitting 200 there dude
Juolevi still only 19, I can't see him being a Brandon Sutter, he'll thicken up to 205lbs by 22 years of age I bet.

Olli 6'2.5 - 205lbs is the right range he should target - ala Hampus Lindholm 6'3-205lbs.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: They need to have a conveyor belt of baked munchies to thicken that toothpick up. He's still so scrawny...not so sure about him hitting 200 there dude
Juolevi still only 19, I can't see him being a Brandon Sutter, he'll thicken up to 205lbs by 22 years of age I bet.

Olli 6'2.5 - 205lbs is the right range he should target - ala Hampus Lindholm 6'3-205lbs.
If thats how OJ ends up I'll be ecstatic. Hampster is one of the better young D in the NHL that I saw play last year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Lindholm is a top 15 D man in the league. They play nothing alike Skyo. Lindholm is likely 215 at this point.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

For crying out loud, Juolevi is only 19. He isn't even eligible to play in the AHL. Similar to power forwards, defensemen usually take longer to mature. A year with Salo and a year in the AHL will be good for Juolevi's development.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovocop wrote:For crying out loud, Juolevi is only 19. He isn't even eligible to play in the AHL. Similar to power forwards, defensemen usually take longer to mature. A year with Salo and a year in the AHL will be good for Juolevi's development.

Who is this directed at ? I am not down on Juolevi even though Elmer let a clearly better player(s) fall. I just don't think he is or will ever be Hampus Lindholm or an OEL like Skyo does. Those are two of the best d men in the league
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I just think Juolevi will be a more talented Edler with a better IQ with more slick skills and more of an accurate shot, just less of a hitter, but like Alex he will log big minutes every game.
His smooth skating ability, confidence with the puck, and all-situations potential are all hallmarks of an elite defender. However, his offense may not reach that of a number on defender. Still, look for this puck possession monster to become a solid first pairing blueliner for a long time.

NHL Player Comparison – Hampus Lindholm

https://thehockeywriters.com/olli-juole ... t-profile/
Gonna take two or three years for Juolevi to have the NHL strength and speed of the game controlled, all in all he should come around to being a regular NHL pro at the same time as Pettersson and Dahlen.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Its hard to say what we have in Juolevi. He shows flashes of stud so thats a huge check in his favour...its just he goes long stretches looking pretty average at best.
Seeing as the Canucks haven't ever developed from scratch a top talent defenseman i (sorry Tanev is 3rd or 4th at best) it is a relatively new experience for us as fans.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Its hard to say what we have in Juolevi. He shows flashes of stud so thats a huge check in his favour...its just he goes long stretches looking pretty average at best.
Seeing as the Canucks haven't ever developed from scratch a top talent defenseman i (sorry Tanev is 3rd or 4th at best) it is a relatively new experience for us as fans.
Edler, Ohlund, ???
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ya and Lumme if you back farther...they were top talent for sure. The point was more that we have very little experience with it where say Nashville or Anaheim develop waves of them.