Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 pm A fake teacher, a revenge seeker, and a wee todd walks into a bar...
He walks into a bar and takes a big golden show** on..... :lol:

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/can-yo ... %E2%80%9D/

Huh... revenge? Just helping u out mate. :D
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

But seriously...

This is all a matter of style choices. If I were to write a formal paper, I would certainly refrain from starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions. But why? Because it is not really considered proper grammar. Nor would it be to start a sentence with "because", unless you start with a subordinated clause followed by a "normal" clause within the same sentence.

But there are other venues, other style choices, other sets of rules. And sometimes you even omit an "and" that would be expected. For effect.

In informal language, eg such as used at a god-damned hockey message board, in poetry, in easy-to-read tabloids and in quick paced fiction, it would be quite normal to start sentences with "and", "but" and "because". And why? Because I say so. :look:

No, actually because it allows for shorter sentences and emphasis. These things are of no importance in a formal paper, but can easily be more important than stodgy 19th century grammar preferences in these other arenas I mentioned.

In conclusion, there's really no universal right or wrong here; it all depends on the venue and the style choices of the writer.

In a similar spirit, when Gwen Stephanie (at least I I think it was her), made an updated version of "If I Were A Rich Man", she called it "If I Was A Rich Girl". Not because she did not know how to use a subjunctive, but because it would make the song sound more dated. Thus she went with the grammatically incorrect phrase that sounds more like how young people (and especially Americans) would express themselves. Just like the Beatles littered their songs with Americanisms that were probably not how these Scousers normally expressed themselves, neither in writing or speech. It just sounded cooler, more rock'n'roll. Or whatever.

It is all about style choices and venues.

But what do I know? It's not even my language. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

One of the things I love about our English cultural legacy is the use of convention over code when it comes to language, law, etc. English grammar is more a matter of convention in that it allows for the bending of some rules in order to gain effect. As long as the link can be made between the grammatical bending and the effect intended, it's not that wrong. Otherwise, yeah, it's just sloppy grammar.

Take French, on the other hand, which is so stultifyingly codified it kills itself as a common language. That's why many see French as a dead language while English is still seen as a living language - able to grow and mutate with the times.

That said, I hate text-speak and consider 'ebonics' a separate language from English.

But.... back on topic. Good to see DiPietro named to the WHC team, even if he only gets ice time in practice and spends the rest of the tournament in the press box. Good experience for him and should set him up nicely for the World Juniors.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

English has too many words for the same thing or similar words that mean totally different things.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 am
Strangelove wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 pm A fake teacher, a revenge seeker, and a wee todd walks into a bar...
He walks into a bar and takes a big golden show** on..... :lol:

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/can-yo ... %E2%80%9D/

Huh... revenge? Just helping u out mate. :D
It's a good thing you didn't disagree with the "fake teacher" and "wee todd" parts... cuz DAMN! :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm Olaf didn’t make the cut for Finland
Do you have a link? I cannot find anything.
I couldn't at the time, either, but the roster has since been posted, and I can't find Juolevi's name:

https://www.new-iihf.com/en/events/2018 ... 07/finland
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Like take the words 'ass', it can be used in a million ways in the English language, half-assed, asshole, lazy-ass, grown-ass man.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:36 pm Were you huffing scotchguard when you fell off your roof?
No; I wish I had an excuse. One shingle slipped out and that was it.
I guess it was all fast but it seemed to take forever.
It's a small rip though, not a simple puncture like Bergeron had.
They did a good job but Doc is right about the Mëds.
A couple are vital, the other two, pretty much precautionary.
Ya, I know: I was half insane in the first place, now?
Keep all breakables away.

It has shown me just how drastic steroids and other banned stuff can be.
Hard to believe anyone would endure the side-effects to give themselves what they think is an edge.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 pm It's a good thing you didn't disagree with the "fake teacher" and "wee todd" parts... cuz DAMN! :wow:
Aight, only cuz u asked for it: Kool-Aid Strange the bogus bizness man.

"WEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee!" :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:05 pm Aight, only cuz u asked for it: Kool-Aid Strange the bogus bizness man.

"WEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee!" :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Pettersson looked good in his third game at the WHC, with a pretty set up & goal.

Pardon the repartee interruption.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

7-0 Sweden no points for EP! -Kid is really slacking off, 4 games and points in only 1. He must be saving it for the playoff round.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Don't think EP was in the lineup.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya wasn’t he a late scratch due to illness?
The only HW the Canucks need