Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by rikster »

Kudo's Skyo for starting this topic...

My son and I use to get together each year for a week of golfing and attending training camps...

At the end of each camp we would each pick 5 prospects who we thought would make it to the show, it was pre internet so you had to be there to see the kids...

Funniest experience at a camp was the year it was held in Kamloops, we sat down in a pretty quiet restaurant for lunch...

Shortly after a group of Canuck players sat down beside us....Jovo, Brendan Morrison, Dan Cloutier, Bertuzzi,Brent Sopel Peter Skudra and Trevor Linden....

What I remember about that encounter was how huge Bertuzzi was compared to the other players...They all ordered grilled chicken with a salad and water... except for Bertuzzi who drank beer instead of water...

Bertuzzi was going on about there being a bubble in the shaft of his stick which was causing his shot to be off during practise...

The other guys were ignoring him but he kept on complaining about this bubble until one of them told him to give it up...

The other thing that I remember was when it was time to leave the players were in a bit of a hurry to get to tee off times and Linden stayed behind to pay the tab....
Really ??? I am the voice of reason here. The way Skyo and the dude and the other guzzlers go on, one would think the Canucks were loaded with top end prospects
You might be Blob but a suggestion would be to share why you disagree instead of just playing the role of Debbie Downer..

Take care....
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Perspective.
Attachments
nhl team prospects 160717c.jpg
nhl team prospects 160717c.jpg (112.16 KiB) Viewed 13204 times
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote:Perspective.
Sounds about right, middle of the pack. No big names like Matthews but Boeser, Demko and Juolevi keep us respectable. Toronto will fall heavy if they remove Matthews and Nylander as those two are guaranteed to make the club, maybe even Marner if he has a good camp.

The Canucks have a top prospect in every position in the game.- Forward Boeser, D-man Juolevi, Goalie - Demko. That's nice.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote:Perspective.
Yeah, not sure about Bleacher Report's perspective. :roll:

Two weeks ago they had Jordan Subban ranked above Tryamkin, Pedan, and Juolevi.

Also had Gaunce on par with Boeser.

They had Tkachuk rated higher than Ju even though we now know pretty much every GM had it the other way.

(GMs and their scouting staff)

They summarized by saying:

"With the addition of Juolevi on Friday, the Canucks have four excellent prospects. The problem is they don't have much else beyond those individuals"

... but they don't make it clear who those four individuals are (in their opinion).

See, there's "perspective" and then there's "useless bullshit".

I can remember a time when Canucks had prospects named Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Edler

... none of whom were projected to ever become NHLers by random prospect-ranking sites.

And yet some old-CC posters correctly predicted some of those guys to make the grade.

I like the idea of this thread and I don't like folks coming in just to take a piss.

Not talking about you here Sage.

Personally I'm not one to pay a ton of attention to prospects

... but I am interested in what guys like Skyo and RD have to say about that.

I'm also interested in predictions made by posters at this site (for future reference).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rikster wrote:You might be Blob but a suggestion would be to share why you disagree instead of just playing the role of Debbie Downer..
More like Peter Pisser.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Vancouver Canucks Top 10 Prospect Ranking — Post-Draft Edition

http://thecanuckway.com/2016/07/16/vanc ... t-edition/
Interesting read. Benning has done a nice job in not only improving our D on the big club but in grabbing some prospects at that position as well. I'm like the Brisbois pick more and more. He will have a bigger role and more responsibility on his new club. Hoping he impress at the junior camp and makes the cut.

Can't help root for Subban to get a chance to play with the Canucks at some point this year. He has that same jerky skating style is PK.

Still work to do up front. Surprised Zuckenov didn't make the prospects list. I'm looking forward to seeing his development along with Abols, who impressed me at the prospects camp last year.
Yeah I can't remember having this many promising dmen prospects in Canucks country, a nice change of pace for once.

As for Dmitry Zhukenov, he should have a good development curve in the Q next season, he seems pretty smart and eager to play well in North America.

Interesting read...

Dmitry Zhukenov Progressing In The QMJHL
http://thehockeywriters.com/dmitry-zhuk ... the-qmjhl/
Chicoutimi is a small town. Are there enough entertainment options?

DZ - I wouldn’t have much time for them anyway. I’m living with a billet family which billets players for 10 years already and know everything needed. I get out of home at 8 AM to get to the practices and get back for lunch at 2 PM. Sometimes at 4 PM there is another practice, and that pretty much means to spend the whole day at the rink. You can only rest a little bit before the game and that’s all. But I like it, nothing can distract me from the most important thing. There are also charity events. We visit schools, or other places for the children, we talk with them and we give autographs. I like talking with little kids. There is some good motivation both for me and for them.
already has the charity part down, good for the Canucks community conduct.
Did you like the Canucks pre-season camp?

– Of course! I attended two camps. The first one was a preparation camp with the other drafted players, while the second one had a tournament for “young stars” and then practices with the main team. It was a great atmosphere. It was great playing there and I was of course very impressed by the high level of the organization.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
rikster wrote:You might be Blob but a suggestion would be to share why you disagree instead of just playing the role of Debbie Downer..
More like Peter Pisser.
Said Gordon Guzzler
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Really ??? I am the voice of reason here. The way Skyo and the dude and the other guzzlers go on, one would think the Canucks were loaded with top end prospects
You might be Blob but a suggestion would be to share why you disagree instead of just playing the role of Debbie Downer..

Take care....
I don't see the depth that you and some of the others do. Outside of the top 4 guys , there isn't anyone they looks like an NHL player down the road. I guess when I compare their pool to teams like the Flyers, Jets, Coyotes, leaves and Hurricanes I see a pretty big gap.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boob McKenzie if you want us to have the most awesomest prospect depth in the league then we are going to have to be a big time suckage top 5 lottery team for a long while and do it consecutively. Is that what you want? A losing culture? Megamind the draft king can only steal so many Boesers late in the draft and Tryamkins and Demkos post first round. Pick one - long term losing culture or retool on the fly???

Prospect rankings lists are misleading snd silly. All depends on when they were compiled compared with kids having graduated. The leaves have Matthews, Marner and Nylander on there's, come the season at least two of those players will have graduated. It would be nice to add Virtanen, Horvat and Hutton to ours.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I don't see the depth that you and some of the others do. Outside of the top 4 guys , there isn't anyone they looks like an NHL player down the road. I guess when I compare their pool to teams like the Flyers, Jets, Coyotes, leaves and Hurricanes I see a pretty big gap.
The Canucks won the president trophy back to back in 2010/11 and 2011/12. They were also in the playoffs during 2012/13 and 2014/15 seasons. In the last six seasons, the Canucks only missed the playoffs two times.

- The Flyers missed 2 out of 6 playoffs
- The Jets missed 4 out of 5 playoffs, 5 out of 6 if you count the Thrashers
- The Coyotes missed 4 out of 6 playoffs
- The leaves missed 5 out of 6 playoffs
- The Canes missed 6 out of 6 playoffs

From your list, only the Flyers are the same as the Canucks with both teams missing the playoffs twice. All the other teams have been pathetic and have had high draft picks. You should probably include the Oilers. I am sure they have more "talents" than the Canucks. :eh:
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I don't see the depth that you and some of the others do. Outside of the top 4 guys , there isn't anyone they looks like an NHL player down the road. I guess when I compare their pool to teams like the Flyers, Jets, Coyotes, leaves and Hurricanes I see a pretty big gap.
Thinking of the Jamie Benn contract makes me wonder who Benning would have drafted with picks 25 and 33 the year Benn was taken...Don't think it would have been Patrick White or Taylor Elington which is where I get my optimism from...

Not thinking about the prospect pool today, but what it will look like in 2 or 3 years from now regardless of the pick numbers over the next few years...

Regarding the teams you compared the Canucks to, they should have deeper prospect pools because they have been chasing the lottery pick for many more years than the Canucks have so nothing of note there...

Let's play a game... I've made my dark horse pick in Cederholm whose on no ones radar, who would yours be?

Can't choose a prospect currently rated in the top 10...

I'd be curious to know who you'd take and who other Canuck fans would take?

Take care...
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

rikster wrote:Let's play a game... I've made my dark horse pick in Cederholm whose on no ones radar, who would yours be?

Take care...
Excellent suggestion ! Which ranking do we use -- the one Skyo published ?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rikster wrote:
Let's play a game... I've made my dark horse pick in Cederholm whose on no ones radar, who would yours be?

Take care...
Gaudette
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I don't see the depth that you and some of the others do. Outside of the top 4 guys , there isn't anyone they looks like an NHL player down the road. I guess when I compare their pool to teams like the Flyers, Jets, Coyotes, leaves and Hurricanes I see a pretty big gap.
I don't know much about prospects on teams other than my Canucks and your Leaves

... but I can assure you that your Leaves don't have better prospect "depth" than my Canucks.

Sounds like you've been guzzling the "hype" streaming from the centre of your universe.

I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you in the Leaves thread.

Believe me, I've done my homework on this. :devil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Jovocop wrote:
rikster wrote:

Take care...
Gaudette
Cassels