Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 pm Thanks man. That's as detailed as i could ever hope for.

Meg...yes or no, will Gadjovic be an NHL regular one day?
Yes.

Gadjovich seems to me to have most everything you would look for in a fourth line grinding type of player with some skill in today's NHL. If he continues to improve at the rate he did this season for the next two years in Utica he should be right there ready to win a spot in 2022. And he does seem to be determined to get there.

Interestingly, due to a peculiarity in the CBA, because of the time of the year Gadjovich signed his entry level contract he has two more years of waiver exemption to work on his game in the AHL before waiver exposure takes some of the shine off him while Kole Lind has only one year remaining despite each having played two seasons with the Comets. This imho might just give Jonah a leg up over Kole in the battle for a roster spot with the Canucks.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks
el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm Gadjo made some real strides last year although he couldn't seem to shake the injury bug. He went 13-4-17-32 in just 38 games with mainly bottom six deployment while improving his foot speed considerably and dropping the mitts to defend team mates when needed, garnering some respect from opponents for that as well.
I think Gadjo quietly had a pretty good year and is progressing. Hopefully he'll slowly develop like Zack Attack Pack MacEwen, maybe even become a Taylor Pyatt type player. At worst, he'll probably just be a Brendan Gaunce, still a handy guy to have in the system for depth purposes.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:54 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm Gadjo made some real strides last year although he couldn't seem to shake the injury bug. He went 13-4-17-32 in just 38 games with mainly bottom six deployment while improving his foot speed considerably and dropping the mitts to defend team mates when needed, garnering some respect from opponents for that as well.
I think Gadjo quietly had a pretty good year and is progressing. Hopefully he'll slowly develop like Zack Attack Pack MacEwen, maybe even become a Taylor Pyatt type player. At worst, he'll probably just be a Brendan Gaunce, still a handy guy to have in the system for depth purposes.
LOL his skating stride is actually very similar to Darren Archibald's if you remember him, and he plays a similar game.

I think he can match or surpass Archie who has become a very valuable AHL vet with some call ups if he keeps his nose to the grindstone.
el rey del mambo
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:02 pm LOL his skating stride is actually very similar to Darren Archibald's if you remember him, and he plays a similar game.

I think he can match or surpass Archie who has become a very valuable AHL vet with some call ups if he keeps his nose to the grindstone.
Archiballz!!! Yeah, I liked him. Good AHLer who could play some minutes in the NHL. :)
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:27 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 pm Thanks man. That's as detailed as i could ever hope for.

Yes.

Gadjovich seems to me to have most everything you would look for in a fourth line grinding type of player with some skill in today's NHL. If he continues to improve at the rate he did this season for the next two years in Utica he should be right there ready to win a spot in 2022. And he does seem to be determined to get there.

Interestingly, due to a peculiarity in the CBA, because of the time of the year Gadjovich signed his entry level contract he has two more years of waiver exemption to work on his game in the AHL before waiver exposure takes some of the shine off him while Kole Lind has only one year remaining despite each having played two seasons with the Comets. This imho might just give Jonah a leg up over Kole in the battle for a roster spot with the Canucks.

I didn't know about the waiver exemption, great info. If he can continue to improve his skating and provide some 4th line jam from time to time that's the type of depth player they can really use. Hope that's the case because the 2 RHD drafted immediately after him, Brook and Mitchell, would have certainly filled a need here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Yes.

Sweet. Those meat and potato wingers take some time and if we've got 2 more years to develop him we should see a player.

Maybe around when The Pod arrives after next season
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Exactly!!

He's got reach, (without being awkward).

Reads the play real good. ( this is what will fast track him somewhat ),

Doesn't seem to panic when pressured.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yes.

The other bonus being that, unlike Lind, Gadjovic doesn't required protection in the Seattle expansion draft. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm Gadjo made some real strides last year although he couldn't seem to shake the injury bug. He went 13-4-17-32 in just 38 games with mainly bottom six deployment while improving his foot speed considerably and dropping the mitts to defend team mates when needed, garnering some respect from opponents for that as well. He seemed to come in lighter, down to around 200 pounds probably and it showed.

Though his stride is still ugly, he was getting to pucks he wasn't getting to the previous year and getting in on the forecheck to apply some nice body contact as well. He also displayed on a couple of occasions a heavy, accurate shot I did not realize was there. All in all, it was a good year for Jonah showing steady improvement throughout. Hopefully he can avoid getting hurt so much in future, though through the latter part of the season it was a bad flu bug that was keeping him out.
Bad flu bug? Sounds like he’s covid immune
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:03 pm Exactly!!

He's got reach, (without being awkward).

Reads the play real good. ( this is what will fast track him somewhat ),

Doesn't seem to panic when pressured.
I think he'll be an even better player having guys like Pettersson, Miller, and Horvat on his line and he improves on how he uses his linemates. Hopefully they get Tryamkin signed, I think they'll be great teammates and better players for it.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vancouver #Canucks@Canucks
Update regarding the 2020 #YoungStars Classic:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1278750506630778880
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Corey Pronman@coreypronman; Video of Vasili Podkolzin (VAN) from camp today
In Russia...
https://twitter.com/hcSKA/status/1279802193659527168 ..Video clip
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal · @DhaliwalSports
7th Jul 2020 from TwitLonger

We could find out soon if Jack Rathbone decide’s to sign with the Canucks.
A new CBA transition rule may potentially speed up defenseman Jack Rathbone decision on signing with the Canucks or return for another season at the U of Harvard.

When the new CBA is announced there will be a 53-hour window to sign rookies and burn a year on their contracts.

Because Rathbone is 21 years old, he would sign a 3 year deal.

Based on what we’ve learned on the transition rule, the Canucks can sign Rathbone at noon ET the third day after the CBA agreement is signed, ends 5pm ET the fifth day.

IF Rathbone signs, he would get no signing bonus and would not play this season in the return to play format but it would still burn the first year of his 3 year contract.

Will Harvard hockey even play next season, seems less likely as each month passes. Some think there will be no fall sports at Harvard.

Is Europe a possibility for Rathbone, everything is on the table but not likely.

Rathbone has a decision to make, sign with the Canucks and burn a year off his deal or continue to play the waiting game with Harvard.

We may get clarity soon on one the top defenseman prospects in the Vancouver organization.

Talked with a scout in the NCAA today on Rathbone : "Great pick by the Canucks, this is a great kid who comes from a great family. He is a slick puck moving defenseman who defends well. Offensively he is really good as well, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He passes the puck like a pro.”

by Rick Dhaliwal
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He will sign. They may try to get him to play in Europe for a year especially with the uncertainty of the AHL but he will have the summer to mull it over. Its a no brainer for him to sign now as it is for the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

31 points in 28 games / 5.11 (looks bigger), 190 lbs. Left defense (future one-two punch).

Your right Wids. Play a high caliber game next season but still strut your stuff at camp.
"evolution"