Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Thanks for the info and links, Per. Most appreciated.

RD, I think it's a little early to be gushing about Petterson at 5th. I like the pick but there is a long ways to go before we are able to make a determination on his success (or not).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

This is the same RD who once had Kevin Connauton pegged as ROY.

:lol:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Kole Lind didn't know he played with a bit of chip on his shoulder, dude has a superb passing game and is feisty.

His business-like game on the ice has earned Kole Lind the nod as NHL Central Scouting's 23rd-ranked North American Skater.

An up-and-down winger, Lind doesn't have the same "flash" as other prospects, per The Hockey News but there is skill there as well.

Lind is coming off a career year in the WHL, scoring 30 goals and totaling 87 points in 70 games. In the playoffs, Lind recorded six goals and six assists in 17 games.

"He's one of those guys you look at the scoresheet and he had a little more of an impact on the game than you thought he did," a scout said, per The Hockey News.

Lind's impact on the ice can come in a number of ways. International Scouting Services calls the athlete's vision and skill-set "high-end" and calls him one of the best pure passers in the 2017 draft class.

"Lind is a smooth-skating playmaker who doesn't mesmerize visually, but is consistently executing good plays. He has a solid range of gears to his skating and can achieve a separation speed quickly. He plays the game at a good place and has strong puck protection skills, thriving in puck possession. He is excellent in transition and makes very sensible choices on the rush. He has great vision on the ice and always finds the open player. He knows where to be on the ice at all times, finding ways to get himself open for chances on goal." - Future Considerations

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/draft-p ... -289683604
Projection and Comparison

Kole Lind could become a second line winger in the NHL, if he develops to his potential. Whether he plays more of a finesse game, or becomes a power forward will be something that will need to play out in the coming years. Added muscle mass would be a welcome addition to his game. In terms of a stylistic comparison, Lind plays like a right handed version of Max Pacioretty.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/04/29/ ... -draft-31/
With Kole's above average passing skills, gritty play if he can solidify his defensive awareness and manny malholtra helps him with his faceoffs he could be a wicked 2nd/3rd line center or at least a solid winger in a few years.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

His play making ability was on display in abundance last night. I was pleasantly surprised by his skill. Sort of what I was hoping for from Cassells. Lind is exactly the type of playmaker we will need with the skills of Dahlen, Pattersson and Boeaser in the line up, down the road.
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I remember from the post draft clip where Benning was mic'd up he was shocked that Lind was still available to us!

Could be a steal in our favour for a change!
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Who scored for the canucks young guns?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

theman wrote:Who scored for the canucks young guns?
Carcone with 2 in first.
End second 3-2 Oils
Beoser all ready on his way back to Van.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

theman wrote:Who scored for the canucks young guns?
Carcone scored both goals for the Canucks.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: Beoser all ready on his way back to Van.
Anyone have a reasonable assessment of Boeser and our Blue-Chippers?

Something better than this "don't panic, but panic" view?

I'd be fine with both getting a little more seasoning.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
micky107 wrote: Beoser all ready on his way back to Van.
Anyone have a reasonable assessment of Boeser and our Blue-Chippers?

Something better than this "don't panic, but panic" view?

I'd be fine with both getting a little more seasoning.

Boeser and Juolevi so so. Given the state of our defence unless Juolevi knocks everyone's socks off, back to junior or Finland. Benning has confirmed our top six to start the season as Stetcher, Hutton, Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev and Del Zotto. No room for Juolevi unless he blows us away.

Boeser looked good, great, indifferent, depending upon the shift. His shot is big league. Other than that I don't think he can be fairly evaluated until main camp.

But the next waive had some impressive players worth keeping an eye on for the future.

Carcone impressed me, could crack the 4th line but more likely Utica, early call up. Lind impressed me. Great passer, good maneuvering skill. Needs to muscle up a tad. Gadjovich looked good. He's ready for Utica but will be back in junior. Loved McEwan. Big, good hands, decent speed, plays with an edge. Utica for him but if he keeps working I see him passing Virtanen on the depth chart, depending upon how Jake has developed of course.

Chatfield showed some surprising speed. But he still seems a little slow. He's a tough hard hitter. Brisbois was not noticeable so can't really project off of this tournament. Demko was cool, made some great saves but needs to work on puck handling and rebounds still. I think he's the real deal but 1-2 years away from backing up in the NHL.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:1-2 years away
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

From what I saw in chunks of two games. Juolevi was dangerous offensively and can thread the needle with a pass. That said he was also dangerous in his own end as well. Let him put up numbers in London or go to Finland.Not sure how that will work out. I liked Lind but like Gadjovich he would be best served in junior trying to get a spot on Team Canada. They are both slow as hell though so hopefully they can pick up a step or two. Bo did it and is now a very good - excellent skater. I like Macewan but this is a project for sure. Demko is going to be a good one in a couple years. He's very athletic and tracks pucks very well. Reminds me a lot of Corey Schneider. Di Pietro needs a ton of seasoning and development. Molino can fly but he was one of the oldest guys here. Boeser has velvet hands but I'd like to see him in the exhibition season instead of this scrambly play with not much flow or systems. He already would have one of the better shots on the Canucks if nothing else.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Forgot about Molino. The guy can flat out fly and has a good shot. Hard to say, as Blob points out his age, what his development peak will be. For sure potential call up but I think a year in Utica to really see what he's got is in the cards.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Forgot about Molino. The guy can flat out fly and has a good shot. Hard to say, as Blob points out his age, what his development peak will be. For sure potential call up but I think a year in Utica to really see what he's got is in the cards.
Yeah, Molino will be 24 in January. He really has to push hard in main camp then keep up the tempo in Utica to put himself into a position of first or second call-up.
In order to become a true asset, he has to be seen and heard of, not just here but the NHL world in general.

Suspect both Juolevi and Beoser coasting a bit thru this tourney. Crank it up in main camp.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Forgot about Molino. The guy can flat out fly and has a good shot. Hard to say, as Blob points out his age, what his development peak will be. For sure potential call up but I think a year in Utica to really see what he's got is in the cards.
Yeah, Molino will be 24 in January. He really has to push hard in main camp then keep up the tempo in Utica to put himself into a position of first or second call-up.
In order to become a true asset, he has to be seen and heard of, not just here but the NHL world in general.

Suspect both Juolevi and Beoser coasting a bit thru this tourney. Crank it up in main camp.
Ya, most feedback seems to be that Juolevi isn't ready to take a job away from one of the Canuck regulars yet and he could benefit from a year playing under Sami Salo. He needs to bulk up a bit more, increase his speed and work on his point shot. No one better that Salo to teach him that part. I liked what I saw, he has good skill, great passer but we just don't need him on the team this year so,let him develop.

Most seem to think Boeser is ready but needs to show more at main camp than he did in the baby tourney. I would think they would both get a lot of preseason games in to get a fair shot at making the club. They both will play better with higher end guys I think too.

Of interest, Benning has said that using 20-20 hindsight they made a mistake with Virtanen,in keeping him his final year of junior and acknowledged that there was pressure to get a high end prospect into the line up. Said they addressed that by creating more depth and just don't want to rush anyone again. He was talking about the Juolevi predicament when he mentioned this so I think he is preparing the fan base.