Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Its hard to say what we have in Juolevi. He shows flashes of stud so thats a huge check in his favour...its just he goes long stretches looking pretty average at best.
Seeing as the Canucks haven't ever developed from scratch a top talent defenseman i (sorry Tanev is 3rd or 4th at best) it is a relatively new experience for us as fans.
Edler, Ohlund, ???
Uncle dans leg wrote:Ya and Lumme if you back farther...they were top talent for sure. The point was more that we have very little experience with it where say Nashville or Anaheim develop waves of them.
It's true this team hasn't done well drafting high caliber dmen, so it's a nice change of pace having a blue chip dman in the prospect ranks, but taking a look at the aforementioned Ohlund and Edler development....

6'4-230lbs Ohlund was drafted in 1994, 13th overall, developed a few years overseas and then started his NHL career at 21 years of age in 1997.

6'3-214lbs Alexander Edler drafted in 2004, 91st overall, developed overseas, one year in junior and over half a season in the AHL with some NHL games, before going full time as a pro also at 21 years of age.

Now 6'3-180lbs ish Juolevi, drafted in 2016, 5th overall has two years in junior development, still only 19, but in May 2018 he'll be 20, he'll probably go overseas this year, so ideally next year he should get half a season in the AHL, half NHL if you want to take it a safer approach which has worked well for Ohlund and Edler in the Canucks uber rare world of developing all-star dmen.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Might take the whole camp & preseason to really evaluate if Juolevi can be an NHL player yet.
Even at his young age, Hunter had him playing lead powerplay guy in London.
Slow things down, establish control and the PP cycle, etc.
Same was expected of him in international play. Calm things down, establish control.
It can have the appearance of being laid back.
That role may or may not be suitable for him at the NHL level. There is a month to figure that out.
Interesting that Green had him with Stecher today though.
Re; interviews the day before, Hutton hopes to get that spot as he and Stecher were room-mates last year.
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Jovocop wrote:For crying out loud, Juolevi is only 19. He isn't even eligible to play in the AHL. Similar to power forwards, defensemen usually take longer to mature. A year with Salo and a year in the AHL will be good for Juolevi's development.

Who is this directed at ? I am not down on Juolevi even though Elmer let a clearly better player(s) fall. I just don't think he is or will ever be Hampus Lindholm or an OEL like Skyo does. Those are two of the best d men in the league
I did not direct my comment to anyone in particular. I am just frustrated some media and fans are so impatient with a 19 year old kid. Juolevi might never be someone like Lindholm or OEL or he might also be better than those two. Do you remember both the Sedins, and Kesler? A lot people believe that the Sedins' and Kesler's ceilings were supposed to 2nd liners and 3rd liners at best. Like I said, Juolevi is only 19. He still has lots of time to learn the game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I would be shocked if Juolevi stuck much past a 9 game look see, if that. He isn't ready for the NHL and we have a full compliment on D. There is no benefit to rushing him and having him play small minutes. There is huge benefit to him playing 20+ plus minutes a night in all situations in junior or in playing a year in a men's league in Finland learning under someone like Sami Salo. Salo who is also responsible for helping develop Dmen for the national team.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:I would be shocked if Juolevi stuck much past a 9 game look see, if that. He isn't ready for the NHL and we have a full compliment on D. There is no benefit to rushing him and having him play small minutes. There is huge benefit to him playing 20+ plus minutes a night in all situations in junior or in playing a year in a men's league in Finland learning under someone like Sami Salo. Salo who is also responsible for helping develop Dmen for the national team.
From what I've read, he didn't even stand out in Jr. Camp. Send him to Europe. Send him to the AHL for a few years after that.

What's the rush?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: What's the rush?
*looks around*

Ummm... no one is in a rush...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
*looks around*

a 9-game look see seems like a rush.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
*looks around*

a 9-game look see seems like a rush.
UMMMMMMMMMMM.... she said:

"I would be shocked if Juolevi stuck much past a 9 game look see, if that. He isn't ready for the NHL and we have a full compliment on D. There is no benefit to rushing him... There is huge benefit to him playing... in Finland "

:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote: From what I've read, he didn't even stand out in Jr. Camp. Send him to Europe. Send him to the AHL for a few years after that.

What's the rush?
What part do you disagree with?

Seems to me you're being an argumentative cunt. Is it because you're realizing our teams' prospects are bleak this season, which borders on your timeline for our return to competitive playoff action?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: From what I've read, he didn't even stand out in Jr. Camp. Send him to Europe. Send him to the AHL for a few years after that.

What's the rush?

Seems to me you're being an argumentative cunt.
Seems to me you're arguing with yourself. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

What's the rush?

Damn that is funny.

I actually laughed out loud.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Wow. Just wow. Let's hope our prospects fail, are a bust, so we can be proven right that Benning is an asshole.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

What's the rush?

Seems to me you have much time on your hands, and looking for an argument.

It would be appreciated if you could bring something of substance to this board.

Given you have been assigned a moderators role, your compliance in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Signed,

The rest.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Wow. Just wow. Let's hope our prospects fail, are a bust, so we can be proven right that Benning is an asshole.

Yup, pretty sad, I warned them it would come to this...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Wow. Just wow. Let's hope our prospects fail, are a bust, so we can be proven right that Benning is an asshole.

Yup, pretty sad, I warned them it would come to this...
Why, because Vancouver fans can't handle a rebuild? :mrgreen:

Oh yes we can. We can so. We can handle a rebuild.